Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 PM

935 posts, read 2,416,776 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of family members who work in retail. Goodness help all of those people when Black Friday rolls around. With the exception of last year, all of the previous years there seems to be quite a few fights that break out in the store.

Oh, and you are right about how they are treated like kids. The rules in some of those places have become so strict. What's sad is when management starts writing up people, yelling, forgetting to let people off of work etc. and then they ask the workers, "Why are so many people quitting? Do you know why?" They're not going to tell management the truth b/c they do not want to lose their jobs.

Part of the reason why I went to college is because I've seen how family members have been treated and I did not want to be treated like that. It seems to have gotten worse IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM

61 posts, read 148,745 times
Default Retail is rough work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
These jobs are something one takes while in school or while looking for full time good employment. This is like a "side job" or "survival job" while looking for work. I did furniture sales last year for about 4 months. It was everything one poster described with bad hours, bad pay and nasty managers. I quit after I found a full time job that offered none of those negatives.
Retail is really a rought field. Not only are the hours bad, the work is physically exhausting and demanding, pay not great and people do look down on you.
I have worked in retail for many years and I am not a kid. I work with other middle aged and older workers in a very tough environment. We are all in competition with each other to keep our jobs. That is really tough. Many of us would like to change careers, but do what? When you are in retail for a long time, what other field can you go into? I still haven't come up with anything else.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,157,742 times
Retail IS tough! I am currently working retail at a very nice store but it is a rough way to be underemployed and underpaid. It is a great daily workout though and I don't have to worry about gaining weight.

Things are bad in Las Vegas and many of the employees at my store have one or more university degrees. We speak multiple languages and that's a handy skill because there are so many tourists here from other countries. Customers are constantly amazed that we know our products and how to use them. They assume we are stupid and most of us take great pleasure in proving them wrong.

Once upon a time, I was explaining how a piece of equipment worked and used the word extruded. The customer's jaw dropped and he asked me how *I* knew that word....... Well, he opened the door. He asked. I told him it was quite safe to also assume that I had more degrees than anyone else in the store. He ended up apologizing and said I had taught him a lesson.

Some customers are delightful. Others are a pain in the bum.

And yes, we are micromanaged. Probably because it was necessary back in the good times when they had to hire whoever was willing to show up. None of our managers are well educated and I'm sure they do worry about their subordinates education level. I would be scared in their position too.

Black Friday is looming on the horizon. It will be an experience.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,588,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopn4miracl View Post
Retail is really a rought field. Not only are the hours bad, the work is physically exhausting and demanding, pay not great and people do look down on you.
I have worked in retail for many years and I am not a kid. I work with other middle aged and older workers in a very tough environment. We are all in competition with each other to keep our jobs. That is really tough. Many of us would like to change careers, but do what? When you are in retail for a long time, what other field can you go into? I still haven't come up with anything else.

I agree. I have been in retail for 10 years now and I really want to make the switch. A 180 degree switch. I finally realized that in this economy, regardless of how old you are, you still have to go back to school and further your education in order for you to have the slightest chance. I am now back in school for physical therapy.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,620,712 times
Heh I've done that route before in a cashier position. I remember some of the ignorant customers coming in as well. Thing is, our entire store was operated by grad students for the most part. Joke was on them, as we regularly made fun of all the d-bags. If you are in a college town and dealing with retail folk, you can often rest assured that they are smarter than most "normal" people and it is just a get by job for them. What was even better is when one of the owners of the company would come in and work as a cashier. They did this some times to show "solidarity" or something that they can also do all positions, i.e. these guys are millionaires, and would get nasty customers. They can just tell them never to shop in their store anymore, kind of harder to talk back as a cashier however. I certainly wouldn't make fun or look down upon them.
There is a documentary similar to this I got a lot of joy out of watching, not sure the name, but they were grad students at UVA and working a parking lot. If you want to see truly mean and rude people at their best, put them behind the wheel, they will think they are god.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,537,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopn4miracl View Post
Retail is really a rough field. Not only are the hours bad, the work is physically exhausting and demanding, pay not great and people do look down on you.
For sure. I was getting a salary plus commission so I thought I could stick it out for a while. The problem was they had a sale quota and I wasn't selling enough according to the managers. The floor was overflooded with salespeople, some of whom competed very dirty and it was allowed. Maybe they were favorites, I don't know. Since I wasn't selling enough, the managers would periodically meet with me and seriously chew me out and make me feel like sh*t. In each meeting they would increase the verbal abuse an put downs. I was planning on quitting so I was lucky to have found a new job at the right time. I seriously had enough of the berating and mocking and yelling at me at meetings. This is how they motivate people? Out of fear? You know I wasn't going to stand for that. It's not like you can yell back at them or cuss them out, even though it was justified. After that experience I just knew I was never going to do any kind of retain or sales again. Ever.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,015,928 times
Some customers are rude to strangers (e.g., cashiers, sales associates, etc.) because they'd better not "back-talk" their sig other or children. They'd get slapped.

Either the above, or the customers are just plain jerks. Maybe both.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,140,365 times
Instead of taking a retail job that you don't need why not start your own side business with your extra time. Heck, you could grow that business and create more income. But a retail job, not so much.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,620,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Instead of taking a retail job that you don't need why not start your own side business with your extra time. Heck, you could grow that business and create more income. But a retail job, not so much.
This is easier said than done, I'm on my 2nd business now and even after 10 months just breaking even in terms of net profit, I keep reinvesting the income, which is pretty good actually and should start seeing some profits come next year. But yes you are right, he could be doing this. He could also do consulting in his field. I did this on the side for IT.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:58 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,062,599 times
Tomorrow, I work my first Black Friday. I hope it will be my last. (until I own my own shop, of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment