Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Tomorrow, I work my first Black Friday. I hope it will be my last. (until I own my own shop, of course).
Be strong and take lots of food. Lines will be too long to get lunch on a 1/2 hour break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 01:07 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
For sure. I was getting a salary plus commission so I thought I could stick it out for a while. The problem was they had a sale quota and I wasn't selling enough according to the managers. The floor was overflooded with salespeople, some of whom competed very dirty and it was allowed. Maybe they were favorites, I don't know. Since I wasn't selling enough, the managers would periodically meet with me and seriously chew me out and make me feel like sh*t. In each meeting they would increase the verbal abuse an put downs. I was planning on quitting so I was lucky to have found a new job at the right time. I seriously had enough of the berating and mocking and yelling at me at meetings. This is how they motivate people? Out of fear? You know I wasn't going to stand for that. It's not like you can yell back at them or cuss them out, even though it was justified. After that experience I just knew I was never going to do any kind of retain or sales again. Ever.
It's better if you don't work on commission, and don't have a quota. Most jobs in retail aren't like that. The store manager may have a sales plan to meet, but he's about the only person affected by it. We live in a consumerist society though, so it's not difficult to meet.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:14 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Yes, the retail jobs with the constant pressure on quotas on sales or "add-ons", and upselling are the absolute worse. And the "coaching" sessions like you described make you feel like a child and, I think, stripped of your dignity. I left my last job because I had to be one of the "chewer out'ers", constantly harrassing otherwise good associates for not opening enough credit card accounts, etc. I'm getting ready to leave my present job because I'm now on the other end of the stick, getting the regular "chew-outs". I've about had enough. They just don't pay enough for this kind of junk. I"m going back to school to finish the degree I started a while ago, and get a REAL job. I don't mind working hard, I don't mind providing helpful customer service, I am not cut out to "push" things on people, hate it, hate it, hate it.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Be strong and take lots of food. Lines will be too long to get lunch on a 1/2 hour break.
They are feeding us! I'll also get one 1-hour and 1/2 hour break over the 11 hours. I just hope my feet won't hurt too much!

Off to take my shower and get ready...

Old 11-26-2010, 06:34 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
My daughter "works" retail, but also runs the two stores (businesses owned by her grandfather). I have to really applaud the way she handles difficult customers, and the way they always leave the store happy and satisfied. One day, while I was stocking shelves for her, I noticed her waiting on an elderly gentleman. He asked a lot of questions about products (it's a whole foods store), and she patiently answered his questions, made recommendations, etc., and gave him a lot of helpful attention. When she was checking him out, he started asking her some questions pertaining to the Bible, which she could not answer (she's never been very religious). He asked her if she "even read the Bible", and she politely said, no, she really did not have much time to do any kind of reading. It made him upset, for some reason, and told her she had better start to read it, or she would live to regret it. He really scolded her. After he left, I felt like she deserved a medal. How much are you expected to take in the name of customer service?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My daughter "works" retail, but also runs the two stores (businesses owned by her grandfather). I have to really applaud the way she handles difficult customers, and the way they always leave the store happy and satisfied. One day, while I was stocking shelves for her, I noticed her waiting on an elderly gentleman. He asked a lot of questions about products (it's a whole foods store), and she patiently answered his questions, made recommendations, etc., and gave him a lot of helpful attention. When she was checking him out, he started asking her some questions pertaining to the Bible, which she could not answer (she's never been very religious). He asked her if she "even read the Bible", and she politely said, no, she really did not have much time to do any kind of reading. It made him upset, for some reason, and told her she had better start to read it, or she would live to regret it. He really scolded her. After he left, I felt like she deserved a medal. How much are you expected to take in the name of customer service?

On occasion I wonder about that, but, I have to say the people that do crazy things like that can be the ones that make me laugh. I have been called a fu*ing c*nt because I didn't sign somebody up for the Medicare part D plan which really isn't what I do in the pharmacy I have to deal with drunk customers that want to play hide and go seek with me, customers that tell me about their bowel movements, customers that make fun of Down syndrome employees, and a customer that licked the store card before handing it to me I have women through fits that their groceries are not bagged up to their standards on regular basis and ice cream melting is always a huge issue. On the plus side I have many customers that are wonderful that I enjoyed very very much though

Old 11-26-2010, 03:54 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
I can agree with pretty much everything said here: the micromanaging, rude customers, and especially the "workout". I would eat Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, and/or Wendy's 2-3 times a week; and I would still lose weight: I even went down a dress size!

I'm "thankful" I quit retail before the Holiday season started. It was a relief to have this kind of weekend off.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
I survived Black Friday. (barely, LOL!)

Old 11-28-2010, 10:07 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I survived Black Friday. (barely, LOL!)
I think every retail employee who works "Black Friday" should be paid time and 1/2.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 AM

219 posts, read 562,475 times
So this weekend I was stiff-armed, told "I don't know what the f*ck I'm talking about", and explained how standing around for 10 minutes chatting with co-workers is inappropriate.

On top of this, you're expected to be an expert in your area. If you're in electronics, you need to know about video game systems, TV specs, computer specs, DVDs, cell phones, land-lines, routers, Internet, batteries, store policies, up to date sale information, etc., all on minimum wage. I don't think I've worked in a more rigorous field that paid their employees so little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment