Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 AM

219 posts, read 563,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Instead of taking a retail job that you don't need why not start your own side business with your extra time. Heck, you could grow that business and create more income. But a retail job, not so much.
Ah, yeah, sure. I'll just take $20k+ that I don't have and throw it into a business venture that I haven't yet thought up. Thanks for pointing that out, "Everything is so easy" guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM

256 posts, read 896,745 times
I did it for 5 yrs before I couldn't take it anymore. However every once in a while you'll meet a customer who's very appreciative of you and even puts in a positive comment about you to your store manager. It was those times that prevented me from completely giving up on humanity.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:10 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,160,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I survived Black Friday. (barely, LOL!)

Me too! Only for me the yearly adventure didn't end till 9pm Monday night. Now I have 2 glorious days off and then I get to do it all over again. I guess January will come soon enough.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,016,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
I did it for 5 yrs before I couldn't take it anymore. However every once in a while you'll meet a customer who's very appreciative of you and even puts in a positive comment about you to your store manager. It was those times that prevented me from completely giving up on humanity.
You're great to have survived 5 years of it. Thank goodness you met some decent people. Has the retail experience helped you in any way (more tolerant of people?) Or has it done the opposite (sick to your stomach of people)?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM

413 posts, read 1,168,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
So this weekend I was stiff-armed, told "I don't know what the f*ck I'm talking about", and explained how standing around for 10 minutes chatting with co-workers is inappropriate.

On top of this, you're expected to be an expert in your area. If you're in electronics, you need to know about video game systems, TV specs, computer specs, DVDs, cell phones, land-lines, routers, Internet, batteries, store policies, up to date sale information, etc., all on minimum wage. I don't think I've worked in a more rigorous field that paid their employees so little.
Totally agree. I worked at Gap for 5+ years and had to know both male products, female products, and baby products from blouses, tunics, capris, etc. We had over 2,000 products in the store and would be asked to find an item for an individual. Granted, I don't mind doing this at all but do not expect me to be some sort of subject matter expert or item locator pro by any means.

Last edited by Nemesis16; 12-02-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 04:04 PM

413 posts, read 1,168,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
You're great to have survived 5 years of it. Thank goodness you met some decent people. Has the retail experience helped you in any way (more tolerant of people?) Or has it done the opposite (sick to your stomach of people)?
I've worked 5 1/2 years in retail and just graduated with a college degree so my time in retail is about to end!!!

I've always been a rather nice person so I apply that mentality throughout my life on a daily basis. After working all of these years in retail I have learned that retail sucks big time, and when I go into a store as a customer nowadays I try to not disrespect their nicely, folded clothing or products.

Retail jobs usually have their customer-heavy days and sometimes light days. Week-ends which are pretty much mandatory in retail are pretty bad and usually rather busy with people. Week days are manageable because most people are too busy with working full-time jobs and families. Also holiday events bring in a lot of people volume.

THE BIGGEST THING I'VE LEARNED IN RETAIL IS TO BEWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. BEWARE OF 30-55 YEAR OLD WOMEN
2. WOMEN WITH YOUNGER KIDS
3. NEVER RAISE YOUR VOICE ON A CUSTOMER. YOU WORK RETAIL THEREFORE YOU ARE STUPID AND UNEDUCATED.

Heave the following before working in a retail environment and you'll be find. I also try to view people as robots and blur out anything they have to say.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,733,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
I've worked 5 1/2 years in retail and just graduated with a college degree so my time in retail is about to end!!!

I've always been a rather nice person so I apply that mentality throughout my life on a daily basis. After working all of these years in retail I have learned that retail sucks big time, and when I go into a store as a customer nowadays I try to not disrespect their nicely, folded clothing or products.

Retail jobs usually have their customer-heavy days and sometimes light days. Week-ends which are pretty much mandatory in retail are pretty bad and usually rather busy with people. Week days are manageable because most people are too busy with working full-time jobs and families. Also holiday events bring in a lot of people volume.

THE BIGGEST THING I'VE LEARNED IN RETAIL IS TO BEWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. BEWARE OF 30-55 YEAR OLD WOMEN
2. WOMEN WITH YOUNGER KIDS
3. NEVER RAISE YOUR VOICE ON A CUSTOMER. YOU WORK RETAIL THEREFORE YOU ARE STUPID AND UNEDUCATED.

Heave the following before working in a retail environment and you'll be find. I also try to view people as robots and blur out anything they have to say.
Yes in general the 30 to 55 year old woman is your most horrible customer! Now granted that is what I fall into and I'm great!! I find that men are easy going and many women are fine, but, sometimes there is just something going on with that age group of women that is HORRIBLE

Old 12-03-2010, 03:43 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,104,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I don't work retail but I work in the hospitality industry and I will honestly say that people make me so sick to my stomach now that I don't want to deal with the public-period-on my off time.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:59 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,212,364 times
Fantastic thread. I worked in a high paced, stressful field of automotive logistics for 10 years then it all ended with 9-11 (I shipped freight via air). After 9 months of a lay off and no other options I picked up a temporary job in retail. I hadn't worked in retail since I was 19 yrs old. OMG what an eye opener. Every thing you described OP is so true! I had far more complicated responsibilities in my prior career and it blew my mind to have managers talk down to me about folding a shirt like it was rocket science.

At the beginning of every shift management would host a meeting and at the end we would have to do a cheer. I never understood this crap. If you do not do the cheer then you were considered not a team player. I felt like I was losing my soul. There were managers that would crouch down and sneak along the racks to catch employees talking. One time I was running around putting things away, rounded a set of racks too fast and tripped over a manager crouched down on the floor staring into another department watching a couple of employees. It was insane. But what really upset me was how these managers would consistently try to trample employees rights. Telling employees they had to work through breaks or punch out and continue working because they didn't get their duties done in a timely fashion. I really felt bad because a lot of the employees believed this stuff. Many of them had dropped out of high school, were living hard lives because they had kids before they were ready and most them were in their 30's and this was their main source of income. It terrified them to be fired so they did what ever the managers wanted. It pissed me off to no end because these individuals were really nice people just trying to raise their kids and make a living.

So aside from the inner politics of retail management I then had the joy of dealing with the public. Something happens to people when they see someone working in a store or fast food. Somehow you are no longer a person. I couldn't believe the way some of the people talked to me. Teenagers were always such a joy as well. For fun they came into the store to simply screw with you. Another thing that amazed me is how nasty the public can be. I worked the fitting room one day and a woman wanted to try 20 items. I had to remind her the limit was 6. She came out of the fitting room grinning at me. I was like hmm...okay. I go into the room to retrieve the clothes and discovered she urinated on the floor. Nice.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,063,658 times
This is so discouraging! I hope to open my own retail biz someday - if I can ever get the $. I'll just make sure to treat my employees right. I've already made some notes on some things to do and not to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment