Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 AM

219 posts, read 562,432 times

Advertisements

Recently I picked up a p/t retail job for the holiday season. I do not need the job (I'm an operations manager for a large corp), it's just something to keep me busy, that will also make me some extra money. I've only been with this retail company for about a week, but already I've learned a great deal about the manipulative paternalistic tactics used on employees in this industry.

Managers treat you like children. As an associate, you are not allowed to make any decisions on your own. You are constantly under surveillance. Yesterday, our team was lectured for standing around in one area for a little under 10 minutes, though no prospective customers were ignored. The department lead warned us all, "I'm trying so hard to keep your hours up, because management is telling me they want to cut hours." Yeah, right. This is retail's busiest season of the year and they're threatening to cut hours. Sure. Interesting tactic, though.

Some customers (oddly enough, I've experienced this mostly with women), have a tendency to look down on you. You can tell in the way they address you or look at you when they're talking to you that they see you as beneath them. You receive rude phone calls from middle-aged men looking for Xbox video games or accessories. People literally trash your department.

Anyways, I've developed a new appreciation for retail and I just want to say to anybody who relies on it as a main source of income: I bow down to you. Retail is relentless. You're treated like a child by both your management and the customers. People are rude to you for seemingly no other reason than getting off on it.

Thanks to all those retail workers out there. I have surely gained a new appreciation for your line of work. Best of luck this holiday season!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,489 times
Yes, retail (and fastfood resturants)are a tough job because you are always having to deal with rude, self entitled... jerk customers. I would probably be fired because I wouldn`t deal with people like that.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:32 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,243 times
Amen!! Both wife and I done it for PT job and little bit more money in the pocket.

I totally agree and this is coming from someone that is a manager in operations also that did retail and having some ignorant leaders in retail that they call as managers treating their other employees like crap.

Its kind of funny, make me what to be like the guys on the movie "40 year old virgin". Have fun and nothing more in retail.
I can bare with retail PT, but no way in hell FT! I probably can do 2- pt retail jobs and be happy though.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
Recently I picked up a p/t retail job for the holiday season. I do not need the job (I'm an operations manager for a large corp), it's just something to keep me busy, that will also make me some extra money. I've only been with this retail company for about a week, but already I've learned a great deal about the manipulative paternalistic tactics used on employees in this industry.

Managers treat you like children. As an associate, you are not allowed to make any decisions on your own. You are constantly under surveillance. Yesterday, our team was lectured for standing around in one area for a little under 10 minutes, though no prospective customers were ignored. The department lead warned us all, "I'm trying so hard to keep your hours up, because management is telling me they want to cut hours." Yeah, right. This is retail's busiest season of the year and they're threatening to cut hours. Sure. Interesting tactic, though.

Some customers (oddly enough, I've experienced this mostly with women), have a tendency to look down on you. You can tell in the way they address you or look at you when they're talking to you that they see you as beneath them. You receive rude phone calls from middle-aged men looking for Xbox video games or accessories. People literally trash your department.

Anyways, I've developed a new appreciation for retail and I just want to say to anybody who relies on it as a main source of income: I bow down to you. Retail is relentless. You're treated like a child by both your management and the customers. People are rude to you for seemingly no other reason than getting off on it.

Thanks to all those retail workers out there. I have surely gained a new appreciation for your line of work. Best of luck this holiday season!
]

I recently had a question about this. I was kind of talking about the stigma attached to retail and like you said like being a kid thats exactly what Im talking about.

When I got out of colleg eand got my first professional office job I was shocked that your actually able to manage your own time, people aren't keeping tabs on if you came back from lunch 2 and a half minutes late or if you came clocked in one minute late. At retail yoru treated like a kid. I sorta understand it b/c I imagine you take your job seriously, do a good job but a lot of retail is high school kids, college kids who dont need the job, will call off or even quit if theres a good party friday night and they have to work saturday. Many people can't be relied on to do their job if they are not being babysitted so everyone has to suffer the consequences.

I also agree with being talked down to. People assume b/c you are working retail you are their whipping boy or you are an idiot, uneducated, etc. I have had people tell me things like "I drive a Jaguar, your working a register at such and such store" etc things like taht. One guy made the mistake of talking to me like this on my last day before I went back to college, he wound up with a drink spilled in his car and wound up challenign me to a fight in the parking lot, luckily for him the manager threatened to call the cops before anything could happen.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post

Anyways, I've developed a new appreciation for retail and I just want to say to anybody who relies on it as a main source of income: I bow down to you. Retail is relentless. You're treaed like a child by both your management and the customers. People are rude to you for seemingly no other reason than getting off on it.

Thank you for that

Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
I worked retail and food service jobs when I was in high school and college and remember the low pay, bad hours, and disrespect from customers and bosses etc. Since I have been there and know what its like, I'll treat them with the respect I often wasn't.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
Retail wasn't always like that. It was always low paying, but it's gotten a lot worse in recent years as far as how upper management treats employees - and you're right, you are treated like a stupid child. And it's not just retail, it's all the service sector jobs these days. Actually, because most retailers have chosen to go with a part-time only work force, most of the employees ARE children.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:05 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,553 times
These jobs are something one takes while in school or while looking for full time good employment. This is like a "side job" or "survival job" while looking for work. I did furniture sales last year for about 4 months. It was everything one poster described with bad hours, bad pay and nasty managers. I quit after I found a full time job that offered none of those negatives.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:06 PM

42 posts, read 135,997 times
I have more respect for a retail or restaurant employee who works hard and does his/her job well than lazy or incompetent people who pull $70K salaries. People who treat others poorly because of their social status are among the lowest of the low in my book.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:28 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,297 times
You are so right I worked for a little over a year as a cashier in a large grocery store and truly I had a lot of great customers, but, I also had a lot of really grumpy ones It seemed like 20 through 50 year old women were the most grumpy. A lot of people complain about older people however I find that even though older people might be slower they have much nicer outlooks than the frazzled and angry woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment