Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times

Advertisements

Why do we cling to things that are BAD for us ... especially JOBS? Are we afraid of losing an artificial comfort zone? Too afraid of the unknown to try something different ... Of failure? Are some of us masochists???

I began a career switch some years ago and finally completed it. Despite the loss of 35% of my wages, I am ecstatic.

However, I know people who will stay in jobs that are obviously NO GOOD for them. They work long hours, don't take vacation, have stress-related illnesses but proclaim that they have to work this way. I understand the fear of being unemployed but when your health is in jeopardy, maybe it's time to move on.

Why would someone allow their job to literally kill them?

Last edited by queensgrl; 10-23-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I agree with you 100%. Most people are sheep . . . afraid to step out of the box and image is everything to most people. That is why there is so much posturing in business (particularly sales), where everyone claims to be "doing great!" Status is tied up with economics to an unhealthy degree. It's about values. Most people value death with status over health if it means you would be poorer and in a less desirable class. Brainwashing.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
I think with the way the economy is right now, people are afraid of losing the security of their job to venture out into the unknown.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I think with the way the economy is right now, people are afraid of losing the security of their job to venture out into the unknown.
All I can say is that some people are like this even when the economy is GOOD. Now that it's worse, they're really out of sorts.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Why do we cling to things that are BAD for us ... especially JOBS? Are we afraid of losing an artificial comfort zone? Too afraid of the unknown to try something different ... Of failure? Are some of us masochists???

I began a career switch some years ago and finally completed it. Despite the loss of 35% of my wages, I am ecstatic.

However, I know people who will stay in jobs that are obviously NO GOOD for them. They work long hours, don't take vacation, have stress-related illnesses but proclaim that they have to work this way. I understand the fear of being unemployed but when your health is in jeopardy, maybe it's time to move on.

In my case I have no living relatives except an elderly mother living in a nursing home, so if I quit the job that is killing me, my savings would run out in about a month and I would lose my home and end up living on the street. Not a nice prospect going to living on the street in the Northeast in winter, and the wife and kids would not be happy either.

Unemployment is at 11 percent where I live and jobs are non existent in my field and when they see my resume at menial jobs, they say I am overqualified, wouldn't be satisfied etc etc and I don't get hired.

At least if the job succeeds in killing me, the wife and kids will get a nice insurance policy payout and will be able to afford to live nicely.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
In my case I have no living relatives except an elderly mother living in a nursing home, so if I quit the job that is killing me, my savings would run out in about a month and I would lose my home and end up living on the street. Not a nice prospect going to living on the street in the Northeast in winter, and the wife and kids would not be happy either.

Unemployment is at 11 percent where I live and jobs are non existent in my field and when they see my resume at menial jobs, they say I am overqualified, wouldn't be satisfied etc etc and I don't get hired.

At least if the job succeeds in killing me, the wife and kids will get a nice insurance policy payout and will be able to afford to live nicely.
I have never left a job without having a job.

But, if you are literally ill from your job, at what point do you say, enough, and set your career on a new trajectory? You don't have to quit now. In my case, I went to school for four years, preparing for a job change that happened five years later -- at the height of the recession. Staying at my old job would resulted in a layoff, as that's what happened to most of my former colleagues.

Someone I care very deeply about is in this situation and since our perspectives on work/life balance are very different, it's hard to give advice. BTW, this person has no dependents.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
When you die at work.....? What does the word literally mean ?

Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
When the job it is causing a level of physical and mental stress that could lead to something worse -- like a heart attack.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
All I can say is that some people are like this even when the economy is GOOD. Now that it's worse, they're really out of sorts.
Isn't that the truth. Where I live it's common - and has been for generations - for people to work two and three jobs in order to make ends meet even in good times. That is unless you work for the local government but that's a whole 'nother story and a pretty sick one at that!

I do hate to generalize but so many got sucked into the credit routine and, when the proverbial s++t hit the fan, were so overloaded with debt way beyond their means that they completely foundered and continue to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What word?

I'll be 65 in December and have had my own business now for 15 years. When visitors tell me they'll be back here in 2011 or 2012 I assure them that I'll be here unless, in the interim, I suffer a major heart attack and fall face-first into the fryer. Could well happen!

A job in and of itself doesn't kill you. Diet, lifestyle, genetical disposition and many other factors come into play. A job doesn't kill you but your negative reaction to it might contribute to an escalation in your BP and so on and so forth.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Seems a bit overdramatic. I wonder what the stats are for people who die from stress related to not having a job and work related stress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment