U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
 
943 posts, read 3,115,453 times
Reputation: 501

Advertisements

It was reposted Nov. 28 and I'm considering sending out a follow up email reiterating my interest in the position to the managers and/or VPs. I interviewed for the position back in October and didn't get the position but from what I remember, the managers really liked me and appeared to be eager to get me on. Is this a bit unethical or as my friend would call it "not kosher"? Has this anyone ever succeeded doing this?

I know it's a shot in the dark but I really want this job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
31,440 posts, read 70,492,152 times
Reputation: 17153
I feel just as "annoyed" as you do with a similar situation. I applied for a position with New York Life to sell insurance via an ad they had posted on the Pittsburgh CraigsList. Less than a week later a recruiter contacted me back and said they'd love to schedule me for an interview and to let them know when I'd be available. I did just that. This was over two weeks ago now, and they've been reposting the same ad on CraigsList ever since, with an additional disclaimer saying "Serious inquiries only---our time and yours is too valuable to waste." They certainly didn't mind wasting my time with the feigned interest, now did they? I have a much lower opinion now of New York Life because of this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM
 
943 posts, read 3,115,453 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I feel just as "annoyed" as you do with a similar situation. I applied for a position with New York Life to sell insurance via an ad they had posted on the Pittsburgh CraigsList. Less than a week later a recruiter contacted me back and said they'd love to schedule me for an interview and to let them know when I'd be available. I did just that. This was over two weeks ago now, and they've been reposting the same ad on CraigsList ever since, with an additional disclaimer saying "Serious inquiries only---our time and yours is too valuable to waste." They certainly didn't mind wasting my time with the feigned interest, now did they? I have a much lower opinion now of New York Life because of this.
So they never responded back to confirm the interview date? How unprofessional. That's crazy considering that they're ALWAYS searching for new agents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 42,249,491 times
Reputation: 16197
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
It was reposted Nov. 28 and I'm considering sending out a follow up email reiterating my interest in the position to the managers and/or VPs. I interviewed for the position back in October and didn't get the position but from what I remember, the managers really liked me and appeared to be eager to get me on. Is this a bit unethical or as my friend would call it "not kosher"? Has this anyone ever succeeded doing this?

I know it's a shot in the dark but I really want this job.
I don't see how this would be unethical. You applied for the job and didn't get it. They are still trying to fill it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
31,440 posts, read 70,492,152 times
Reputation: 17153
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
So they never responded back to confirm the interview date? How unprofessional. That's crazy considering that they're ALWAYS searching for new agents.
Exactly. Why tell a candidate you're very interested in scheduling them for an interview, receive correspondence back from that candidate with the best possible times to interview, and then never follow-up with the candidate after that? As I said I used to have a much higher opinion of New York Life before this occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't see how this would be unethical. You applied for the job and didn't get it. They are still trying to fill it.
I can see both of your perspectives here. Obviously if the position was reposted, then KMG1 didn't receive positive consideration, but, at the same time, why not at least tell her that you've chosen to go in a different direction with a different candidate with skills/expertise more commensurate with the position they are trying to fill?

I hate how employers now think that just because we're in a horrible recession with no signs of abating that they can treat prospective candidates like peons. It takes all of five seconds to e-mail a generic "Thanks, but no thanks" response that would quell someone who is sitting, quite literally, on pins and needles wondering if they've been considered or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 21,065,209 times
Reputation: 6244
Why does anyone think a company has any reponsibility to tell you what they are doing. You apply and if they want to hire you they tell you. if they say nothing, so be it get over it and move on. Companies like NY Life have never stopped hiring insurance agents and you can apply anytime anywhere and the ads will always appear someplece sometime or another. They troll for employeess and even if you are being considered, those ads will always show up. If you think they had one opening, boy do you needs some understanding of their employment. And that ad probably ahd nothing to do with you because you were one of 10,000 they were dealing with. Try contacting the recruiter again as a follow up because youtr info may have been misplaced with the thousand of others who wasted their time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Marion, IN
8,191 posts, read 29,293,803 times
Reputation: 7295
You need to change your thinking when it comes to applying and interviewing. The truth, professional of employers or not, is that if they are interested they will make you an offer. Sitting around and waiting is not going to make it happen. Apply and move on. If they call for an interview great. Interview and keep right on applying. If they re-post a position after you interview that is a clear indicator that they are not interested in hiring you. Move on.

It may sound harsh, but that is kind of how you have to look at job hunting. Stressing yourself out does not help you to get a job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 12:57 PM
 
943 posts, read 3,115,453 times
Reputation: 501
Oh I did receive the generic email stating that they decided to pursue other candidates, I took that as them going with another candidate for the position but apparently the position hasn't been filled, and I'm one of those persistent people that goes after what she wants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Marion, IN
8,191 posts, read 29,293,803 times
Reputation: 7295
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Oh I did receive the generic email stating that they decided to pursue other candidates, I took that as them going with another candidate for the position but apparently the position hasn't been filled, and I'm one of those persistent people that goes after what she wants.
Trying to be gentle here. They are not interested in hiring you.

The position has not been filled because they have not found the right person. Often it has less to to with your skill set & experience and more to do with your personality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 01:05 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 42,249,491 times
Reputation: 16197
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Oh I did receive the generic email stating that they decided to pursue other candidates, I took that as them going with another candidate for the position but apparently the position hasn't been filled, and I'm one of those persistent people that goes after what she wants.
I'm curious as to where exactly you think the unethical part comes in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top