Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 AM

30 posts, read 60,268 times

Advertisements

I'm 52 and thinking of certifying in medical billing and coding. Does anyone know of the supply and demand for coders?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Bad idea, sorry. I had several friends who got sucked into taking the courses and they graduated with honors and never found work just more debt with student loans. Alot of the medical billing is being shipped over seas and the coding is pretty limited as most hospitals and clinics are going all electronic and the software the medical personel chart into automatically picks up the coding...there are some jobs but most are requiring several years of experience.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
HA! It's what my VESID counselor sent me back to school to learn. It was the biggest waste of my time ever! I got a useless certification that isn't recognized by ANY Dr, hospital, etc. It was a way for a state funded school to get money and people like me to still NOT be able to land a decent paying job. Don't waste your time in it. Yeah-finally got a job doing A/R collections for a durable medical good company-but I need to know NOTHING at all about anything I learned. All for a whopping $10hr. Run as fast as you can away from it!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 AM

30 posts, read 60,268 times
Thanks for the advice - will do.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:31 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Good to hear, I know a couple of seniors considering this for extra income.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 AM

255 posts, read 535,623 times
Consider it, if and ONLY IF, training is for AHIMA certification. Otherwise, it is a waste as others have said.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times
My aunt is a nurse where she works they have sent most of it to India. It is one of the many things sent overseas. Along with your x rays and tons of other work.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
I took a class in medical billing and coding at a local community college. The class was around $1,300, the books were another $350. Then I took two certification tests. One, which isn't highly recognised, cost $100. The main one, the CPC, cost around $300. To take that ets I had to buy 2011 editions of my books since the ones from my course were 2010, another $200. I passed the certification fairly easily on my first attempt.

So I start looking for a job and they all want 3-5 years coding experience. A local temp agancy advertised lots of coding jobs, but they told me they don't send people out without experience.

There is a website for the AAPC that has a message board. A lot of people are like me, spent a bunch of money on these classes and can't get jobs. There are veteran coders on there and a lot of them say keep trying. Several have said they got jobs in records or at the front desk and later got to do coding. In other words, they got a job and later got to code and likely learned what they needed to know on the job.

Bottom line.....don't waste time and money on coding certification classes. Sorry for bumping an old thread but hopefully I can save others the time and trauma. If I had done research I'd have never taken the class.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:28 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,728 times
I agree with all of you. Please, please, please don't waste time and money on those private schools who advertised on tv. Go into Billing and Coding! Become a Medical Assistant! Get to wear scrubs for a living! (yes, that was an actual ad) No, no, no!

If you really want to do one of those programs, as the school if they find you internships or if you need to do that yourself. Ask where their graduates work after they have their certificate and what percentage of graduates are working in that field (not just working anywhere) after 6 months. Ask to speak with several alumni to get their take. Some certificates are completely worthless. Physical Therapy Aide, for one. That does nothing for you and if it's online, how are you going to get hands on experience? You can do volunteer work and not pay a dime. I feel terrible when people call me for a job as a PT Aide and have spent good money on something that isn't worth a thing.

If you're looking at a program, call a company or office where you think that profession works and as if they hire people with the certification.

I try to catch people before they enroll in such programs but obviously can't do that with everyone. Those tv ads don't tell the whole story. Try to get someone not connected with the school to give you the scoop. *stepping off soapbox*

Old 07-15-2011, 10:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
My cousin in Ct just got a certiificate in it, at age 52, and is working in it now. Not great pay, about $30k/year, but nice small company, and benefits are fairly decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment