Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 06:32 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times

Advertisements

To be successful in the BUSINESS (job) world, does one have to work with a boss they like personally? I am not talking about being friends with the boss, but a comfort, a chemistry, an ease of conversation with the supervisor. Or can you just tolerate your boss and still do well in your job and the business world?

Tell us about your personal relationship with your boss at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 08:54 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
My boss is cool. She's very openminded and non-judgemental. If you have a complaint or a concern, she actually listens and tries to work at arriving at a solution. I'm a counselor (i work w/kids) so I'm not surprised at her attitude!

Our supervision at work doesnt consist of a boss behind the desk reviewing a checklist of 'tasks accomplishment' 'needs improvement in' etc. It basically consists of us going out to lunch with her or spending an hour just chatting about work, discussing challenges, or anything else we feel like talking about.

Its awesome working with a bunch of counselors and psychologists- I used to joke about it in the past that when our colleagues ask 'How are you doing'? They REALLY want to know how you're doing!

As nice as she is, she's also very professional. She's never put it into words but she lets us know where her boundaries are. She's not a dumpting ground for every personal problem that we have and she's not our personal therapist. But I think an overall combination of making herself available to us, being helpful and knowledgeable, and willing to help with problems makes her a great boss.

How much time do you spend with your boss? If you have to see her/him on a daily basis (several times a day), hopefully you can keep it friendly or at least cordial on your end. Do you work closely with your boss? I see my boss once a month for supervision-chart review but she's a phonecall away if I need her.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 PM

103 posts, read 392,131 times
I'm still a student.I have not this experience.But I also don't like that boss who is unfriendly to his staffs.I will be mad working in this company.He can say some good words to his staffs.That can improve efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment