Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:09 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Those of you who know me are aware that my last place of employment was quite stressful and unsatisfying insofar as my job was concerned. The primary issue/problem stemmed from the constant and endless micromanaging that I had to deal with on a minute-by-minute basis.

When I was hired there, it was under the auspices that I "knew what I was doing" and I would be free to do my job since, as the owners stated..."They don't know anything" about marketing.

Shortly thereafter I discovered that this was all talk, and that they had no intention, whatsoever, of allowing me to do my job effectively. I also discovered that there had been FIVE previous people in my position in the past two years, each of whom left because they could not handle the incessant micromanaging.

Apparently, in the Branson area, this is a problem. After having worked as an independent contractor for many years which required a LOT of travel. Due to the increase of gas prices, which were eating up my profits, I decided to get a "real job". The first was in management and I enjoyed it but did not want to stay in that line of work. Thereafter, when pursing my actual career path (marketing), I fell victim to THREE CONSECUTIVE JOBS where I was subjected to constant micromanaging.

For those of you who have successfully dealt with kind of work environment I'd like to know what your secrets are. How do you handle these issues? How do you deal with someone CONSTANTLY looking over your shoulder and telling you (incorrectly, I might add), how to do every minute aspect of your job?

I just curious to know how you do it.

20yrsinBranson
I used to work for a guy like this. He would send me somewhere knowing how long it took to get there and call me before I got there and ask if I was done yet. He would tell me the route I should take to get somewhere, how long it should take me to do something he had no clue how to do and on and on. I used several tactics on him that worked. Sometimes I would just laugh at him and hang up or walk away if in person. There were times I was really mad I would say "well...then why don't you show me how it is done" knowing full well he couldn't. I used to hang my head, shake my head or any number of things. I used to make up crazy stuff to tell him just to see his reaction. I treated him like the clown he was, because I was fed up and didn't care if I got fired or not. These people are full of themselves and are extremely hard to deal with. Making a joke of mine was how I coped. He eventually got promoted and went away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
When I worked as a psycholgical transcriptionist, I had a supervisor who would freak out when I had more than three tapes to do that morning. I'd have them in my possession for ten minutes, then it would be, "Why wasn't I INFORMED you were so backlogged?" Backlogged? LMAO. THREE REPORTS, each taking me about twenty minutes to a half hour to transcribe. She would insist on doing some of them herself to "help me get caught up" and as a result I'd have nothing to do the rest of the morning, that is until I would be given back what SHE'D typed - to correct because it would be full of mistakes. One of the psychologists asked me outright not to let her do them. An incompetent on a power trip is the worst kind of micromanager.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I fought this by doing exactly what I was told to do at all times. And documenting everything I was told to do. When in doubt, ask what they want. Eventually, they gave up. I just out micro-managed them.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I fought this by doing exactly what I was told to do at all times. And documenting everything I was told to do. When in doubt, ask what they want. Eventually, they gave up. I just out micro-managed them.
Wow, best advice. And I agree.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,200 times
Simply tell them "I'm not going to be successful unless your successful. And my job is to make you look good. If you're constantly telling me what and how to do my job, then you're probably not getting your work done. Believe me, if I need help, I'll come ask you for help. In the meantime, let me do my job and make you look good."

Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
Yes I have and many times. I guess the best answer (for me) is grin and bear it or get another job. I think a micro manager isn't going to change their personality. JMHO. BTW, I have never been successful in working for one at all though I've been able to hang in there for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment