Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Again with the nursing This field is way way way flooded, new grads can't get jobs:
It depends on the region. All areas of the country are not created equal when it comes to having enough people educated for the workforce. There are places that are desperate for nurses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilworker1986 View Post
As someone who had been trying to get a job as a police officer for the last two years, I will also say that that field is oversaturated and hardly hiring at all to boot. Thanks to state, county, and municipal governments being completely bankrupt, the agencies (if they're hiring at all) have maybe 1 or 2 positions open, and have hundreds of people applying for them. Please, for the love of God, find a different career to go into before this one.
Are you willing to relocate? There are areas of the country that do have a need for police officers. After years of trying, my cousin couldn't get a job with the PA state police, but he was hired for the Washington state police within 6 months of putting in his application. He had to fly there for each individual phase of the selection process, but he ultimately landed the job as fast as humanly possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
What is your work experience background? Nothing extensive; just the type of work experience you have and the industry. There's perhaps a nugget of information that help us steer you in the right direction or avoid a direction entirely.
The region of the country where she lives is also important. What's available in most regions, might not be available where she lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
I had looked at sonography as well, but didn't see good news on the jobs front with that one. I don't think all of IT is toast. I've seen lots of openings for analysts and DBAs, but it probably would take more schooling than I have time or money for at present.
The future of IT is definitely more toast than sonography. IT will continue to be outsourced to other countries because it can be outsourced logistically. Sonography can't be outsourced and our population is aging quickly. You'd position yourself better if you studied sonography. Look at the big picture, not a short term payoff. They make over 100k where I live and my area of the country has a low cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 AM

460 posts, read 1,139,997 times
Thanks skeet09, technical writing is not an area I would have thought of.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM

156 posts, read 318,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It depends on the region. All areas of the country are not created equal when it comes to having enough people educated for the workforce. There are places that are desperate for nurses.

Are you willing to relocate? There are areas of the country that do have a need for police officers. After years of trying, my cousin couldn't get a job with the PA state police, but he was hired for the Washington state police within 6 months of putting in his application. He had to fly there for each individual phase of the selection process, but he ultimately landed the job as fast as humanly possible.

The region of the country where she lives is also important. What's available in most regions, might not be available where she lives.

The future of IT is definitely more toast than sonography. IT will continue to be outsourced to other countries because it can be outsourced logistically. Sonography can't be outsourced and our population is aging quickly. You'd position yourself better if you studied sonography. Look at the big picture, not a short term payoff. They make over 100k where I live and my area of the country has a low cost of living.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your cousin's situation is not the norm when it comes to getting a job in LE. Yes, I've been trying to relocate, but the market for police officers in my homestate (Illinois) is god awful, same goes for the surrounding states. I've tested out of state numerous times, but its the same everywhere, the agencies are A. hiring for 1 or 2 positions, but have everyone in the state apply or B. they're on a hiring freeze, but are testing only because they're legally obligated to do so every 2-3 years, and still have everyone in the state apply for it.

I'm sorry, but it gets discouraging running into a brick wall over and over again trying to get a job, and for most unemployed/underemployed people, its not financially realistic to travel for each step of the hiring process (which can be up to 5 or 6 times) out of state for these places. With that said, I'm getting ready to switch careers because with most states being completely bankrupt, I don't see it getting better any time soon.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,628 times
She has kids so moving is out. Her husband has a job so if he leaves his they start over. He has to find a job in the worse job market in 30 years. I know people that move and still do not find anything. The fact is your cousin got lucky. He most likely will get laid off in the next year or 2. The last one hired first one laid off. As both I and Soil worker have pointed out the states are bankrupt. Their will be millions of local and state workers laid off. Tons of cops firemen and teachers will be in that number. Your looking at 100 to 300 for every job opening at this point even menial jobs. Their are 30 million unemployed and underemployed people in the US. All these people want a living job and medical benefits. The jobs are not there it is that simple. Moving will not change that fact. And last but not least how do you move when your broke? And who will rent to you with no job?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
She has kids so moving is out. Her husband has a job so if he leaves his they start over. He has to find a job in the worse job market in 30 years. I know people that move and still do not find anything. The fact is your cousin got lucky. He most likely will get laid off in the next year or 2. The last one hired first one laid off.
You're all missing the fact that we have NO IDEA where she lives. My comments about relocating were directed to your posts, not the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
And last but not least how do you move when your broke? And who will rent to you with no job?
I know MANY people who moved when they were broke and had no job. This isn't the first recession I've lived through.

The late 70s and 80s were much worse in my region than what the country as a whole is going through now. We had an exodus of population. All of those people who left, left because they couldn't find a job. That mass population exodus resulted in more sports bars in cities throughout the world than for any other football team. I'm only sharing that as a visible example of the widespread disbursement of my city's population after the fall of the steel industry.

My city lost 50,000 per each year in the 1980s due to people relocating elsewhere because there were no jobs. 50,000 might not seem like many until you consider that my city isn't a large city. Most of those people spent most of their savings before they finally gave up and moved out of town.

I'll never forget my girlfriend. She sold everything she owned, packed the remaining necessities in her car, and drove to Florida. She slept in her car and she ate from a cooler she packed before she left. Her only expense was gasoline. There wasn't a job waiting for her there. She got a job as a waitress and lived in her car until she could find a place to live. She's still in Florida and has a PhD now.

I moved out of the city in a similar fashion, except I didn't have a car. I was dropped me off at a hotel in another city. I immediately contacted employment agencies, interviewed, and had a job before the end of the week. One of my ex-coworkers made a call to an old high school friend of his who lived where I moved, and he in turn introduced me to a fellow Pittsburgher who had recently moved there. He and I became roommates. That's how I found a place to live.

I come from an area of very tough, resilient people. Even though so many people left the city, many more people stayed and worked hard to rebuild their lives. They pulled their lawn mowers out of their garages and mowed lawns to feed their children. Many of the area's landscaping companies and garden centers are the result of people reinventing themselves without relying on a companies to hire them.

Maybe just the fact people dare to do it makes them more likely to succeed because people who dare to do it have the gumption to make things happen. I was hired because they were impressed with my determination. I was living out of a suitcase at a Holiday Inn for goodness sake!

Anyway, that's how it's done. It's not easy. It's not pretty. But it's possible. And, yes, I know families with children who did it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment