Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,976,298 times

Advertisements

So owners/managers of small to mid-size businesses, what's the first thing that pops into your head when an employee comes to you inquiring about training or taking advantage of an employer funded tuition reimbursement program? Is it 'Oh no, this person is going to wind up costing my company $$$' or is it 'This is great to have someone so motivated and eager to learn about the industry'?

I'm curious to know whether tuition reimbursement programs are just a sham to lure in unsuspecting, ambitious employees to a particular company or is it a genuine program set up to groom and maintain employees who are eager to expand their knowledge and skillset? If neither of these are the reason as to why these types of programs exist, perhaps you can shed some light on why they exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,617 posts, read 81,316,164 times
I work at a public agency with 1,500 employees with a tuition reimbursement program. We only reimburse classes that are
considered appropriate for enhancing the employee's work
performance in their current position, or that could help them
achieve a promotion within the organization.

As a previous small business owner, I wouldn't have touched it.
Too many cases where an employee gets additional training and education, then goes off on their own to become a competitor.
No one wants to spend money helping to gain competition.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
As a previous small business owner, I wouldn't have touched it.
Too many cases where an employee gets additional training and education, then goes off on their own to become a competitor.
No one wants to spend money helping to gain competition.
Huh? So after two to fours years of schooling, they come out good enough to run a company that actually performs competitively with your company? Either these folks are enrolling in some darn good programs or your not a very savvy businessman. Couldn't they just as easily start a business with the experience you're so generously gracing them with?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,490 times
I was hired for a company which provided tuition reimbursement. They said in order to qualify you have to work full-time for six months and the classes have to relate to your job. So, you should definitely ask the company a few questions if they offer tuition reimbursement b/c it might take a while before they reimburse you for college.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I was hired for a company which provided tuition reimbursement. They said in order to qualify you have to work full-time for six months and the classes have to relate to your job. So, you should definitely ask the company a few questions if they offer tuition reimbursement b/c it might take a while before they reimburse you for college.
Yeah, I asked last Friday. I haven't heard back from them since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment