Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:02 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,837 times

Advertisements

Are there still any industries/professions out there where you can expect to work 9-5, or has that schedule gone the way of the dodo?

I figure you're more likely to work more than 40 hours/week if you work for/have:
- A start-up/small business
- A company that services the public 7 days per week (you'd likely have to work weekends)
- A position that involves tight deadlines

I've heard that government/public sector jobs (universities, etc.) tend to be 9-5 jobs, but I question the validity of this.

What is your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
The utility industry is typically 9-5. I work in it. It's regulated. And the pay and bonuses are excellent. Can't go wrong with working for a public utility company.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
When do people who work 9-5 take a lunch? If they take a lunch break, then are they not working 40 hours/week? Do they not take lunch? I never understood this. It must be a common work schedule otherwise the term "9 to 5" wouldn't be used as the standard term for a day office job.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,588 times
There's quite a few threads on this forum about 8-5 jobs. However, off the top of my head some medium size businesses allow employees on the lower rung to work 8-5 only. Especially if they are office jobs. Some lower rung government jobs may also have the 8-5 work schedule.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:15 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Are there still any industries/professions out there where you can expect to work 9-5, or has that schedule gone the way of the dodo?

I figure you're more likely to work more than 40 hours/week if you work for/have:
- A company that services the public 7 days per week (you'd likely have to work weekends)

I've heard that government/public sector jobs (universities, etc.) tend to be 9-5 jobs, but I question the validity of this.

What is your take?
You're apt to find a 8 to 5 work schedule nowadays. I worked for a government entity for a period of time and it was a shock coming from a private sector corporation. They do frown on overtime and work to the second of the clock - even if you are salaried. So, it is valid. The benefits are superb though.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Administrative assistants and receptionists tend to work 8:30 til 5 or so. Also, any position where they pay you hourly, over 40 they have to pay you overtime... which they do not like to do.
Salaried, you get taken advantage of a lot in regards to hours.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
9-5 8-4 is history since 10 years ago, now it is 8-5 9-6
Americans just live to work.
you would think that with all these modern conveniences, faxes, computers etc, that Americans would work less, yet we work more than ever before.....something is very wrong here...

fortunetely I am old school so I work 8:30-4:30, and not a second more....and tak a full hour lunch......****sticks tongue out*****

Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

What is your take?
If you have a business no matter what industry your probably putting in about double that 40 hour work week.

As for working for others some startups may require long hours but I have worked for a few internet statups and alot of them are run by younger guys who do things unconventional ways, often try to be very employee friendly and have a good work life balance.

Aside from the obvious jobs like reatail where you dont take work home with you I dont think you can really nail down a particular industry as being good work life balance. More dependent on company to company.

I would agree that governmetn is a good job to get, most of the time you probably wont even work a 40 hour workweek. My buddy who works for the city works about 4 hours a day.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Administrative assistants and receptionists tend to work 8:30 til 5 or so. Also, any position where they pay you hourly, over 40 they have to pay you overtime... which they do not like to do.
Salaried, you get taken advantage of a lot in regards to hours.
Not the guy I work for. He pays straight time ONLY. If you have to bring work home with you-medical collections & billing-you won't see anything other than the $10hr. And he says go ahead take it to the labor department-he'll fight it.

I work 8-4. 1/2 lunch-which is a joke because there IS no true break area-just a conference table set in the middle of the office-some eat there-but most eat lunch at their desks. You normally work during lunch-you have to take your phone calls.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Customer Service jobs such a telemarketing or advertising sales where your sales are made during the day are apt to be 9-5 when businesses are generally seen to be open.

Government jobs, as mentioned.

I really can't see many other jobs as being 9-5 or whatever it is nowadays (9-6 or whatever) because people work around client schedules which means you're either working late or working earlier to fit their needs. Also taking work home to hit tight deadlines is necessary for a lot of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment