Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM

41,905 posts, read 74,999,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I was actually trying to have fun.
Being ungracious, rude and mean-spirited is never fun.

Who are you to say who cook and who can't? Who can bring in treats to share and who can't? Not to mention that you are not being forced to eat any of it. If you want to eat prefab crap from Wendy's, have at it, but leave everyone else alone.

Beauty -- of all five senses -- is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,609,299 times
I'm really really glad I don't work in an office environment. Or crammed away in some cubicle. If given a choice, I'd rather be a cab or school bus driver.

Even riding shotgun on a garbage truck would be better.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,951,047 times
I love to bake, and I'm fairly accomplished at it. Now and then I'll make a tray of cookies for the shop. I leave them on the break table. If the guys want them, they can eat them, if they don't, they don't have to. Several of them hint now and then that I haven't brought cookies in awhile, and most of them stop me to thank me when I do bring them, so I know they are appreciated.

But if someone didn't want to eat them for whatever reason, it won't hurt my feelings.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM

26,602 posts, read 36,564,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg045 View Post
I'd also venture to say that if intra-office tension based on the quality and frequency of office potlucks is the biggest issue in your workplace, you've got it pretty good. And if tension over said optional potluck is truly making your work unbearable, then it's probably best if you seek another job.
This is probably not the norm, but my own personal potluck trauma comes from years ago when I went to work as a research assistant in a seed company. It seems like there was a potluck about every week, and I was asked at the last minute to provide a large pan of lasagna for one that was taking place because some big shots from the parent company were visiting. I didn't have lasagna ingredients at home (and of course they wanted meat lasagna which I don't even eat myself, barf); it was towards the end of the month and as a single parent I would rather spend my money on food for my child than providing lunch because the bosses were too cheap to take the visitors out or order in takeout.

I said no and implied that finances were a consideration in my inability to subsidize lunch. There was resentment.

And what were the bosses providing for this lunch? Whatever their wives made to bring...and the single men were not expected to contribute.

This sort of thing happened at that place with enough frequency for it to be one of the reasons I sought and found other employment.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,474,130 times
Ok, some of you need to sit in the corner until you get this "fake" offensiveness of your shoulders. Ron was just having fun. There was nothing offensive about what he wrote. Actually, HE WROTE THE TRUTH. It is always the people who can't cook/bake/whatever who are always trying to share their nasty creations with everyone. I wouldn't eat what they made either unless I knew them on a friend-to-friend basis. Some people are filthy. They have nasty pets in their houses or are just simply not clean. I have seen tons of women leave the bathroom without washing their hands. I bet some of those potluck foods had pet dander or bits of...well, you get the picture.

If you can't cook, DON'T BRING IT IN!!! And please don't get the nerve to get offended b/c someone doesn't want to eat your food. They didn't ASK for you to make it for them anyways.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:25 PM

18 posts, read 45,494 times
I'm sorry for your experience, Metlakatla. It sounds like a toxic work environment, and I'm glad you got out.

If Ron's post had been about co-workers who were angry or hostile because he didn't partake or participate in a potluck, then I would have been sympathetic. No one deserves scorn for not participating in an optional and (supposedly) fun activity.

But he didn't say anything about his coworkers being insulted or rude. No one's scorning him because he didn't eat it...in fact, it sounds like he was in the majority. Rather, the post just seemed to going out of its way to be nasty to people who (as far as I can tell) haven't been nasty to him: "Ew, people, don't bring in your vile food because it's offensive to my eyes." It really rubbed me the wrong way. If it was a joke, okay I guess, but personally, I found it mean-spirited.

Quote:
If you can't cook, DON'T BRING IT IN!!! And please don't get the nerve to get offended b/c someone doesn't want to eat your food. They didn't ASK for you to make it for them anyways.
If you don't want the food on the break table, DON'T EAT IT!!! And Ron said nothing about people getting offended. If that was the case, it would have been a different story. Rather, if no one was eating it, as he said, then he should have plenty of "allies." As I said before, if people bringing in baked goods is your biggest pet peeve on the job, then you've got it pretty damn good.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Ok, some of you need to sit in the corner until you get this "fake" offensiveness of your shoulders. Ron was just having fun. There was nothing offensive about what he wrote. Actually, HE WROTE THE TRUTH. It is always the people who can't cook/bake/whatever who are always trying to share their nasty creations with everyone. I wouldn't eat what they made either unless I knew them on a friend-to-friend basis. Some people are filthy. They have nasty pets in their houses or are just simply not clean. I have seen tons of women leave the bathroom without washing their hands. I bet some of those potluck foods had pet dander or bits of...well, you get the picture.

I completely agree; usually I pretend to have food allergies so I don't have to be subjected to whatever nastiness may be going on in certain kitchens. And for those of you who insist on imposing your infestations of shrimp based concoctions, please keep in mind that there are people who simply cannot be even in the same room as this rot.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry for your experience, Metlakatla. It sounds like a toxic work environment, and I'm glad you got out.

If Ron's post had been about co-workers who were angry or hostile because he didn't partake or participate in a potluck, then I would have been sympathetic. No one deserves scorn for not participating in an optional and (supposedly) fun activity.

But he didn't say anything about his coworkers being insulted or rude. No one's scorning him because he didn't eat it...in fact, it sounds like he was in the majority. Rather, the post just seemed to going out of its way to be nasty to people who (as far as I can tell) haven't been nasty to him: "Ew, people, don't bring in your vile food because it's offensive to my eyes." It really rubbed me the wrong way. If it was a joke, okay I guess, but personally, I found it mean-spirited.

If you don't want the food on the break table, DON'T EAT IT!!! And Ron said nothing about people getting offended. If that was the case, it would have been a different story. Rather, if no one was eating it, as he said, then he should have plenty of "allies." As I said before, if people bringing in baked goods is your biggest pet peeve on the job, then you've got it pretty damn good.
I understand. Sometimes humor doesn't translate well over the internet, and sometimes what's funny to one person isn't funny to someone else.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:49 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,474,130 times
Quote:

I think you need to read the thread all the way through. Other posters were getting offended. My reply was to the offended posters, not his coworkers since his coworkers are not up here for me to talk to.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,248,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I love to bake, and I'm fairly accomplished at it. Now and then I'll make a tray of cookies for the shop. I leave them on the break table. If the guys want them, they can eat them, if they don't, they don't have to. Several of them hint now and then that I haven't brought cookies in awhile, and most of them stop me to thank me when I do bring them, so I know they are appreciated.

But if someone didn't want to eat them for whatever reason, it won't hurt my feelings.

I work at home, but I'm constantly sending my SO to his workplace with cookies or brownies and they're always a hit. Not saying this to brag. It's more that they work in a rather dismal place doing pretty thankless work, so sometimes it's nice to let them know they're appreciated, themselves. A bunch of the wives and girlfriends do the same thing.

The guys have asked for the recipes when he takes dinner leftovers, too. They'll be like, "What is that? Let me try that. Tell her to make a pot of it for us. Send the recipe so I/my wife/my girlfriend can make it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment