Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times

Advertisements

As some are aware, I've taken the job from Hades. Somedays it feels as crashing into a brick wall would be less painful than dealing with these people.

Friday, the owner calls looking for paper work from March 2009. The girl who's over me in the department, bugs out. Completely. For 2 hours she ranted and raved the F-bomb repeatedly and loudly. At one point went out side and screamed at the top of her lungs. She had shown up to work that day half bombed-she was drinking bloody mary's before work. Why the new office manager didn't fire her on the spot-it's totally bewildering to me.

Another person-she's in her late 50's. One of only 4 out of 27 who aren't in their 20's. I was assigned to give her department a hand since I've cleaned up almost all delinquent claims in the 4 months I've been there for the other department. The owner was there that day and this woman told him I could have the private collections-it's widely known she is belligerent with patients. I've only done commercial accounts. It was decided after the first day to give me the commercial accounts after all. She went to the office manager and went nuts. Since I work in a warehouse converted to divided spaces-everyone-including patients on the phone-heard the tirade. I know why she didn't want anyone taking it over-I found in the first day and a half-over 60,000 in claims that now have to be written off-she never filed them or where late with timely filing. She's copped a attitude with me. All I am doing is what I am told-I am on probation for another two months and this is all I have between eating and starvation.

What has happened to management these days? Is it just me? If you had employees that were yelling obscenities all day, showing up half in the bag or cursing out patients on the phone-wouldn't you let them go? What am I missing here? No where before would any behavior such as this be tolerated where I worked. The door would be shown to you. I think the owners have lost control of this place. Our office meeting Friday-the one owner said if the place doesn't start showing a profit here soon, they are closing and moving it back to Long Island. And it's not going to show a profit-not with how these people are billing claims-late. I just don't get any of this. It's mind boggling. And numbing to hear this stuff all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
That can be stressful and I know what you are going through. We had a girl like that in the office not too long ago. She would not look for another job or quit. She just embarrassed us in front of clients with her swearing and negative attitude everyday and it was bad! She ended up getting fired because she "lost it" during a meeting. It's only a matter of time before she'll be out of there.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
I would document any information like she was behind in all those claims.

I hate to say it but you work with a lot of younger people who just don't "get it". They probably think he is making an idle threat when he says he will close the office. And he is quite serious.

Maybe since you're in your 40s try and impress some of these kids how long it took you to find this job, and unless "we as a group" take it up a notch or two we could all be out of a job.

Don't know if it will do any good, but if they pay any attention at all to the economy and the news it may register with some of them enough to make a difference.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
That can be stressful and I know what you are going through. We had a girl like that in the office not too long ago. She would not look for another job or quit. She just embarrassed us in front of clients with her swearing and negative attitude everyday and it was bad! She ended up getting fired because she "lost it" during a meeting. It's only a matter of time before she'll be out of there.
She's been the their list since before I got there. I don't understand why they don't get rid of her. She says outright in front of anyone-she hates the place, the owner, the job. So firing her would be the smart thing to do.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I would document any information like she was behind in all those claims.

I hate to say it but you work with a lot of younger people who just don't "get it". They probably think he is making an idle threat when he says he will close the office. And he is quite serious.

Maybe since you're in your 40s try and impress some of these kids how long it took you to find this job, and unless "we as a group" take it up a notch or two we could all be out of a job.

Don't know if it will do any good, but if they pay any attention at all to the economy and the news it may register with some of them enough to make a difference.
They've had that pep talk-it goes in one ear and out the other. They are all hoping he does close the place. They want unemployment. Some of them are on Section 8 housing and food stamps working there anyway-the majority couldn't care less. It's tough working for a place that the morale is completely in the tank. And add that if this guy closes the place-he's already told them he'll fight the unemployment and he'll make darned sure they won't get it. They don't get that it took me from July til Oct to find work-got the OK in March to work again from the Dr-started school in April and finished the last week of June. That's the longest it's ever taken me to get hired. They think it's going to be them sitting on their rear ends collecting the unemployment and partying-a large majority still live at home with their parents. They are clueless.

No one works as a team-it's all about the I where I work. I've already told the office manager-what ever she assigns me is fine-doesn't matter-it's my job and it pays me. She says that's what the problem at the place-no one wants to do the work and couldn't care less what happens. I believe even she is looking for other work-she just relocated here from the Southwest.

I am stepping up the game again to get out of here-more resumes going out once again. I don't feel like going down with a sinking ship.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
As some are aware, I've taken the job from Hades. Somedays it feels as crashing into a brick wall would be less painful than dealing with these people.

Friday, the owner calls looking for paper work from March 2009. The girl who's over me in the department, bugs out. Completely. For 2 hours she ranted and raved the F-bomb repeatedly and loudly. At one point went out side and screamed at the top of her lungs. She had shown up to work that day half bombed-she was drinking bloody mary's before work. Why the new office manager didn't fire her on the spot-it's totally bewildering to me.

Another person-she's in her late 50's. One of only 4 out of 27 who aren't in their 20's. I was assigned to give her department a hand since I've cleaned up almost all delinquent claims in the 4 months I've been there for the other department. The owner was there that day and this woman told him I could have the private collections-it's widely known she is belligerent with patients. I've only done commercial accounts. It was decided after the first day to give me the commercial accounts after all. She went to the office manager and went nuts. Since I work in a warehouse converted to divided spaces-everyone-including patients on the phone-heard the tirade. I know why she didn't want anyone taking it over-I found in the first day and a half-over 60,000 in claims that now have to be written off-she never filed them or where late with timely filing. She's copped a attitude with me. All I am doing is what I am told-I am on probation for another two months and this is all I have between eating and starvation.

What has happened to management these days? Is it just me? If you had employees that were yelling obscenities all day, showing up half in the bag or cursing out patients on the phone-wouldn't you let them go? What am I missing here? No where before would any behavior such as this be tolerated where I worked. The door would be shown to you. I think the owners have lost control of this place. Our office meeting Friday-the one owner said if the place doesn't start showing a profit here soon, they are closing and moving it back to Long Island. And it's not going to show a profit-not with how these people are billing claims-late. I just don't get any of this. It's mind boggling. And numbing to hear this stuff all day long.
I have over 6 years of experience in medical billing and collections with government and commercial collections. And let me tell you, they are losing ALOT OF MONEY if she is writing off 60,000 claims! Holy crap! Really, does the boss know this about her. If not, I would politely bring it to his attention. It's mind boggling what upper management doesn't know about billing and collections.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
And add that if this guy closes the place-he's already told them he'll fight the unemployment and he'll make darned sure they won't get it.
That's insanity. If he closes the business, he wont' be able to fight any employee's unemployment claim. I can't even understand why he would say such a thing. Even though the staff is unprofessional, they're not completely idiots. A person would have to live under a rock to believe that they wouldn't get unemployment if a company went out of business.

If a work atmosphere is terrible and the employees are impossibly unprofessional, management is the problem. Just the fact he would say something so stupid validates that. He's not scaring those employees. They know he's blowing hot air.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I have over 6 years of experience in medical billing and collections with government and commercial collections. And let me tell you, they are losing ALOT OF MONEY if she is writing off 60,000 claims! Holy crap! Really, does the boss know this about her. If not, I would politely bring it to his attention. It's mind boggling what upper management doesn't know about billing and collections.
I meant $60,000 in claims. And to me-that's a lot of money any way you slice it or dice it. Yes, they know that she's way behind on work-but she milks over time saying she's working at home-an extra 20hrs a week. From what I've learned in the short time I took over her commercial side-she's not doing squat. I got set up on Friday with a modem to resubmit claims myself. Believe me-they'll have a darned quick turn around. The owner told me what I did with the one part of the company-I was bringing back in $25k a week in unpaid claims that had been left for months. He's hoping I do the same in this end.

They found a few weeks back-1300 pages of claims-from one insurance-for a 2 year period that had to be written off. Seems to me that person should be let go.

Last edited by CampingMom; 02-20-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's insanity. If he closes the business, he wont' be able to fight any employee's unemployment claim. I can't even understand why he would say such a thing. Even though the staff is unprofessional, they're not completely idiots. A person would have to live under a rock to believe that they wouldn't get unemployment if a company went out of business.

If a work atmosphere is terrible and the employees are impossibly unprofessional, management is the problem. Just the fact he would say something so stupid validates that. He's not scaring those employees. They know he's blowing hot air.
He's been threatening people since the first 1/2 hour of me starting there back in October-that was a 2 1/2 hour rant I listened to-I was SO tempted to walk out that door-but in reality I had no other choice but stay.

Out of the 27 employees-only 3 have been with him 13 years(how long he's been here). The others have been there only 4 or less-the majority of them under a year and a half. Every one of them voices their displeasure with the place. If they've got experience-why not go do something else? One girl is about to finish up all her Microsoft certifications and has a background doing IT work-she's the one that keeps everyone's computers going since the server crashes at least 2 times a day(he's too cheap to get what he actually needs). But she receives no extra pay for it-that's taking advantage-she's too young to see it that way though.

He is the type that'll fight unemployment. We've been sending people to court that haven't paid $25 or more on their bills. He squeezes it til it bleeds. So he will fight it-he's got the money to do it. I sure don't on $10hr.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:

He is the type that'll fight unemployment. We've been sending people to court that haven't paid $25 or more on their bills. He squeezes it til it bleeds. So he will fight it-he's got the money to do it. I sure don't on $10hr.
He will not be able to fight it if he closes the business; it probably wouldn't even get to the point where a hearing is involved. I agree with the poster who says he's just blowing hot air. If he closes and you're out of work, there is really no gray area in which he can protest that.

Be prepared for the place to close though. The chaos etc. that you describe is a classic example of what happens in a business that's going down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment