Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, has anyone ever pulled it off where you tell your employer the exact reasons why you are leaving their company?

I know it's typically frowned upon to burn any bridges, which I agree with 100%. So that's why I don't mean telling your boss to take this job and shove it out of sheer emotion and anger. I'm talking about listing all the practical reasons why you no longer feel gainfully employed with a particular employer. In other words, you give your boss your two weeks notice and he's completely baffled. All this time, he's naively believed that everything's been great. So he asks you something along the lines of, "Why are you leaving? I thought everything was going well."

I've personally thought about doing this, in a respectful manner of course. If my boss comes to me and asks me why I'm leaving, I'm going to be honest with him. I'm going to explain to him all the reasons why I felt like I needed to seek employment elsewhere:

1) I've asked for several reviews over the past few years to get some feedback on my performance and I have yet to receive one. I don't know how I'm performing, and thus I have no way of knowing how I can establish goals to better myself.

2) I've been feeling unchallenged for the past year and a half and after several requests for new tasks, I have yet to be given any. Therefore, I am taking it upon myself to seek out and pursue the next challenge in my career.

3) After three years, I have the same job title and responsibilities as when I first started. Despite aggressively attempting to take on new tasks, none have become available. Thus, I feel like there is no room for advancement here.

4) The lack of communication within the organization has me feeling like a non-essential part of this team. I'd like to work in a team where my ideas and talents are valued and can be utilized to help the organization advance its goals.

These are just a few, and as you can see, they are not designed to explicitly insult or denigrate my employer in any way. They are honest, tangible reasons why I feel the need to move on.

I guess my reasoning is this. If you're going to ask a stupid question like "why are you leaving" this late in the game, then you deserve to be given genuine answers. I feel like me giving my manager the whole feel good, everything is "rainbows, flowers, and unicorns" spiel is not fair to them or to me. If they really want to know why I'm leaving, I will tell them exactly why. Maybe they are really concerned about why an employee would leave their organization. Maybe they want feedback to improve their management methods. If they don't ask, no skin off my back. It was probably for the best anyway.

Has anyone successfully pulled something like this off? Were there any short term or long term side effects? Did it feel like a relief or did it make you feel guilty later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I've had them tell me why I was leaving...

most of the time, if I quit a job, I just told them that I was leaving, and the why was unimportant. Mostly because I was bored with it, or I didn't like the people I had to work with, possibly including management.

I don't foresee leaving my current job, because I work alone, and the management lets me get my work done my way, and they don't worry about HOW it's done, just so long as it is. They don't hassle me.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:18 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've had them tell me why I was leaving...

most of the time, if I quit a job, I just told them that I was leaving, and the why was unimportant. Mostly because I was bored with it, or I didn't like the people I had to work with, possibly including management.

I don't foresee leaving my current job, because I work alone, and the management lets me get my work done my way, and they don't worry about HOW it's done, just so long as it is. They don't hassle me.
That's great you're in a situation that works out best for you. I think a big factor is what your life/career goals are and where you are at in them.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:20 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times
I don't think anyone reasonable would consider the things you've said above "burning bridges", especially because it doesn't seem like you're criticizing any specific person (that has a much higher risk of not coming off well).

Many employers have exit interviews/questionaires/etc. to find out exactly these things, and they appreciate honest, thoughtful, constructive feedback on what didn't work for you. If they ask you why you're leaving and don't expect an honest (but civil) answer, then they are being disingenuous jerks.

When people say not to burn your bridges, they mean don't charge up to what is about to be your former boss and scream obscenities at them, insult them, or do anything else that's rude, unnecessary, and not constructive. You should always leave a position in a way people can respect: with honesty, grace, and dignity.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 PM

The only time I had them tell me why I was leaving was when I hit that manager....

guess they figured out that one pretty quick.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:29 PM

516 posts, read 1,350,168 times
I can't wait to tell my company I'm leaving and I will tell them the whole WHY.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Agian telligyour boss tha is sin't doig a good job ;no matter ;why is most often burning bridges. basically all have rason for leaving. it would be much better to give assessments while work professionally as they will be not so much looked on as sour grapes;whining Just move on his my suggestion.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:44 PM

207 posts, read 501,150 times
Last job I left I told them that it was because I was unhappy that I wasn't interviewed for a position in Dallas when I was told I would be.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:45 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
it would be much better to give assessments while work professionally as they will be not so much looked on as sour grapes;whining
You might be surprised. Depending on your workplace this could be office politics suicide. More often it's just ignored. At my workplace, it seems that often someone's issues aren't taken seriously until they take steps to "do something about it", i.e. they know that the person is actively looking for another job or the person gives them notice that they're leaving. Then your issues suddenly deserve attention because they have proof that you're not blowing smoke or playing games.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Or you could just come into work with a loaded gun and air your greivances that way.

After all, you have a constitutional right to have one, right?

DISCLAIMER: I would never do this, I don't even believe it necessary to own a gun.

Last edited by TKramar; 02-26-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment