U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:34 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,797,213 times

Advertisements

I was chatting with a friend and he is currently looking for work. Well I guess he got taken in a job scam. I thought it was an interesting story so I figured I'd share with all of you.

Now this is not your typical, "get rich quick" or, "work at home" type of job scam. The way this scam works is that the scammers build a fake website that looks 100% genuine, like a real company. You would never know the difference from any other company website (unless you researched the finer details). They even use the same software that most other company websites would use for their jobs/application process.

What they do is post fake jobs that sound like your average job, nothing out of the ordinary. These fake jobs will be picked up by job search engines, and google. They even post the jobs in craigslist including the, "pay to post" job sections of the larger metros.

Now they have hundreds of potential people all being funneled into their little online job application process. They start off slowly. Making you fill out your personal information (address, phone number etc.). Next step is verifying your right to work in the USA. Here they ask for your Social security. Then they go on to make you fill out all the standard employment application stuff like past work history, criminal history, references etc.

After 30-45 minutes of filling all that stuff out then they go on tell you that a background verification is required for the job. The verification costs 25$ and you have to pay through the site. Bam right there they ask you for your date of birth, credit card number everything.

After you submit it, they tell you that your application will be reviewed and if selected they will contact you.

Meanwhile, they now basically have ALL your personal information. Where you live, your phone number, social security, date of birth so on so forth. Identity theft, anyone?

My friend got his money back through the bank but only after I told him that it sounded fishy. For the average joe, it would never cross their mind, especially if they are in desperate need of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 AM

29,035 posts, read 45,827,642 times
Boy, they're really getting creative. But to be honest, I would have stopped that application the second it asked for my SS number online... I'm only comfortable with that if it's an official city/county website, which is usually the case in my line of work. And if I had entered my SS on that application, the next red flag would fly when it asked for a credit card. Only once can I recall paying for my own background check ($40), paid directly at the city sheriff's office - and they reimbursed me on the first paycheck. Be smart, everyone, and listen to your gut instinct!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:25 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,053,531 times
Not surprised, the job boards are all inundated with scams and they are getting more and more creative and sophisticated

Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 AM

623 posts, read 1,450,674 times
I would never ever ever ever give out my SSN unless I had a face to face interview. Also anytime a "company" asks for $25 during the application an alarm should be going off in your head.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:16 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,053,531 times
What some on here fail to realize that in today's job market, many legitimate online applications REQUIRE your SS# in order to process your application. If you leave that field blank it will reject your application, if you make one up, it's considered lying on your application and you would not be hired.

The 2nd biggest employer in Athens, GA (a hospital) REQUIRES a valid SS# as part of the application. If you physically go to the company all they will do is sit you down at a computer (same website) and fill it out online and it's the same security at home or in their HR office. In fact your SS# is the way they track your application process. They are one of the very few places hiring so I've got no choice but to comply.

And I see this more and more, as a long term unemployed person, I've gotten pretty good at figuring out the scams. I go to the job boards, look at the jobs listed then open another window go to the company website to verify there is really a job available THEN and only then will I fill out an application from the company website.

I spend a minimum of 5-7 hours a day just wading through the scams, fake job listings, Temp agencies data mining for resumes, old job listings that claim they are new and advertisments for jobs that are really for trade schools, just to find a "real job" to apply to if I'm lucky.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:11 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,176,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
What some on here fail to realize that in today's job market, many legitimate online applications REQUIRE your SS# in order to process your application. If you leave that field blank it will reject your application, if you make one up, it's considered lying on your application and you would not be hired.

The 2nd biggest employer in Athens, GA (a hospital) REQUIRES a valid SS# as part of the application. If you physically go to the company all they will do is sit you down at a computer (same website) and fill it out online and it's the same security at home or in their HR office. In fact your SS# is the way they track your application process. They are one of the very few places hiring so I've got no choice but to comply.

And I see this more and more, as a long term unemployed person, I've gotten pretty good at figuring out the scams. I go to the job boards, look at the jobs listed then open another window go to the company website to verify there is really a job available THEN and only then will I fill out an application from the company website.

I spend a minimum of 5-7 hours a day just wading through the scams, fake job listings, Temp agencies data mining for resumes, old job listings that claim they are new and advertisments for jobs that are really for trade schools, just to find a "real job" to apply to if I'm lucky.

This.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 AM

38,981 posts, read 20,538,532 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, with so many legitimate companies asking for SSN's, many applicants have been conditioned to provide that sensitive information. My former employer (gov agency) uses the SSN as a tracking number. Fortunately, many companies and public agencies are veering away from mandating the SSN number which is improving things but there are still companies and government agencies that mandate it.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 AM

9,851 posts, read 16,361,987 times
I've wondered about filling out job applications, they do have a lot of information about you that could lead to identity theft!

The social security number really worries me, if you don't include it, your application will just be rejected.

Insofar as a processing fee, well..........you really shouldn't have to pony up a fee for any job. But if you feel the job offer is legit and the fee is relatively small (under $50), you could just get a pre-paid debit card. I do that when I'm not too sure who I'm dealing with, like when I order stuff online. They can run it through all they like, there's nothing there except the amount I put in.

I also worry about posting on places like Monster, dice,Linkedin, etc, that's a lot of information in the wrong hands!

Old 03-16-2011, 03:19 PM

10,403 posts, read 14,094,356 times
Quote:

An SS# is never required unless they are going to give you an offer. I interviewed @ a company that had me fill out the application before the interview. Some co's do this, some don't. On the application was a field for SS#, I left it blank. They actually called me to offer me the job, and then I gave them my SS# once i was told i was hired and they were running a background check. I mean I can't fathom any good reason they would need anyone's SS# if they aren't going to pursue the person as an employee.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM

6,551 posts, read 9,054,291 times
Like any scam you just have to use your best judgment when giving out your SSN. Of course I will give my SSN to a the city and the county. But, no, I will not give the sexylady@hotmail.com who e-mailed a response back to my initial inquiry to a job listing on CL my SSN.

Again, just be smart. I'm sorry to hear that your friend got scammed Killer 2021, but at least he got him money back, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment