Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times

Advertisements

I've worked on "both sides of the track". I was away from the "office" environment for a few years. Since being back, all I can say is white collar people are like zombies. Very stiff and robotic........When I worked with majority blue collar people and the blue collar jobs I've had over the years, there is a clear difference in the way the 2 groups act. Yes, a blanket statement but generally it seems the BC group is more down to earth and can relate to most backgrounds and education.

With the WC group, it seems, if you don't have the same educational background, income level, they cannot relate nor will they make an attempt to try. The appearance of being phony ,IMO, is more common with WC people.

I've noticed this A LOT since I've returned back to the white collar world.

I said WOW, I never realized how stiff and dry WC people are.

Chime in......give YOUR perspective or views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Just because you are in an office doesn't mean you are 'white collar' to me. Blue collar is any 'factory job'. By that I mean you show up, do exactly what you are told and go home. You never give advice, you never change how things work, you never improve the system. A person working in a call center is a factory worker. A computer programmer who just writes code to the specs given is a factory worker. A car salesman who sells exactly to his monthly quota is a factory worker. To be a white collar worker, you need to think deeper and try to change the way things actually run. In my mind, white/blue collar has absolutely nothing to do with an actual office environment.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,425,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Just because you are in an office doesn't mean you are 'white collar' to me. Blue collar is any 'factory job'. By that I mean you show up, do exactly what you are told and go home. You never give advice, you never change how things work, you never improve the system. A person working in a call center is a factory worker. A computer programmer who just writes code to the specs given is a factory worker. A car salesman who sells exactly to his monthly quota is a factory worker. To be a white collar worker, you need to think deeper and try to change the way things actually run. In my mind, white/blue collar has absolutely nothing to do with an actual office environment.
By your definition, a surgeon is just a factory worker.

Believe it or not, the typical person can't just "write code to spec" even if he wanted to. It takes a lot of technical skill and experience; things that should be valued in their own right. If it weren't for H1B visas and outsourcing, we would have a severe shortage of competent code writers.

Your kind of thinking is the reason why every field now has layers and layers of management and bureaucracy that suck the life out of the real revenue generators. Every one of these bureaucrats and managers think they are "changing the way things are run" when really they are just shuffling paper from one side of the desk to the other, and usually making things worse by taking an ever greater share of the pie only to create "innovative ideas" like outsourcing and importing from China and India.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 AM

839 posts, read 2,417,463 times
Oh I think we blue collar guys employ plenty of critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical ability.

Just ask any plumber, electrician, or HVAC guy who has been handed a set of blueprints and has to make his systems fit in the space allotted by the architect. It may look good on paper, but making it work in the real world takes a lot of talent and skill.....

To answer the OP's question, I've always felt more comfortable around other tradesmen for the reasons he listed, but that doesn't mean ALL white collar folks are arrogant and stand-offish.

My wife's occupation is very white collar (Sr. financial analyst) and she interacts with a people fairly high up in the company she works for. When ever they have some kind of "event", such as a family picnic day, where I've had a chance to mingle with the "suit monkeys", I found them to be pretty decent folks really.....

Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,703 times
Quote:
Hmmm...I don't agree with this logic at all. It almost sounds condescending. No, wait, that's precisely how it sounds.

I'm an operations manager, so I'm technically white-collar. I love the opportunities I have to work with blue-collar workers. I feel like I can relate to them better, coming from a blue-collar background myself. I'm in a cube farm at this very moment and the people here ARE like zombies. Blue-collar workers tend to be more laid back. Though their pay may be lower, they also seem to be happier in life. Sure, maybe they're just ignorant and less self-aware, OR, maybe they know something we don't.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,029 times
Quote:
To me what you described is the difference between being "White Collar Worker" and "White Collar Professional". I think of blue collar as more of tradesmen. Just because someone is blue collar it doesn't mean that they don't need to think deeper or change the way things are run. Just like there is "White Collar Worker" and "White Collar Professional", there is also "Blue Collar Worker" and "Blue Collar Professional". The Master plumber with 30 years of experience and in high demand for large projects because of his expertise is different from the assistant landscaper who's entire job is to mow lawns and nothing else.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
To me what you described is the difference between being "White Collar Worker" and "White Collar Professional". I think of blue collar as more of tradesmen. Just because someone is blue collar it doesn't mean that they don't need to think deeper or change the way things are run. Just like there is "White Collar Worker" and "White Collar Professional", there is also "Blue Collar Worker" and "Blue Collar Professional". The Master plumber with 30 years of experience and in high demand for large projects because of his expertise is different from the assistant landscaper who's entire job is to mow lawns and nothing else.
Good follow-up. That makes more sense.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Oh I think we blue collar guys employ plenty of critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical ability.

Just ask any plumber, electrician, or HVAC guy who has been handed a set of blueprints and has to make his systems fit in the space allotted by the architect. It may look good on paper, but making it work in the real world takes a lot of talent and skill.....

To answer the OP's question, I've always felt more comfortable around other tradesmen for the reasons he listed, but that doesn't mean ALL white collar folks are arrogant and stand-offish.

My wife's occupation is very white collar (Sr. financial analyst) and she interacts with a people fairly high up in the company she works for. When ever they have some kind of "event", such as a family picnic day, where I've had a chance to mingle with the "suit monkeys", I found them to be pretty decent folks really.....
It's exceedingly funny how some "higher upper" white collar people think blue collars are zombies to follow their perfectly drawn out (and often times useless) plans huh?

In my opinion any engineer should have to do "grunt" work a year in the field they're educating themselves for, it would give them a slightly better idea of how things actually work.

I'm looking to begin an engineering degree in the near future because my doctors advice me against doing heavy lifting etc anymore (not that that stopped me from doing another construction job hehe). What I dread most is sitting in an office with other office drones instead of being on-site with the guys talking s**t and getting it done.

...So I'm hoping to score a job as site supervisor or similar in the future, cause if I'll get stuck in an office, I'll likely kill myself, too much drama, pansies and backstabbing. And besides, who wants to be stuck in an office when the sun is shining anyway?

Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
By your definition, a surgeon is just a factory worker.

Believe it or not, the typical person can't just "write code to spec" even if he wanted to. It takes a lot of technical skill and experience; things that should be valued in their own right. If it weren't for H1B visas and outsourcing, we would have a severe shortage of competent code writers.

Your kind of thinking is the reason why every field now has layers and layers of management and bureaucracy that suck the life out of the real revenue generators. Every one of these bureaucrats and managers think they are "changing the way things are run" when really they are just shuffling paper from one side of the desk to the other, and usually making things worse by taking an ever greater share of the pie only to create "innovative ideas" like outsourcing and importing from China and India.
A surgeon is VERY similar to a factory worker. An extremely highly skilled factory worker, but nonetheless, the vast majority of surgeons do nothing but practice what they have been trained to do. Blue collar worker is not a dirty word. There is nothing at all wrong with being blue collar. You are a doctor, right? You obviously know that the medical profession is stuck in the 1800's in terms of operational efficiency. 'Management and bureaucracy' is very much needed in the medical field, as that is an enormous field that wastes an incredible amount of money due to inefficient operations.

And with all due respect, you don't seem to have a handle at all on what management does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Hmmm...I don't agree with this logic at all. It almost sounds condescending. No, wait, that's precisely how it sounds.

I'm an operations manager, so I'm technically white-collar. I love the opportunities I have to work with blue-collar workers. I feel like I can relate to them better, coming from a blue-collar background myself. I'm in a cube farm at this very moment and the people here ARE like zombies. Blue-collar workers tend to be more laid back. Though their pay may be lower, they also seem to be happier in life. Sure, maybe they're just ignorant and less self-aware, OR, maybe they know something we don't.
It is only condescending if you think white collar is intrinsically better than blue collar. Personally, I don't feel that way. Obviously you do.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
I've worked in a few office environments as an accountant (that's what I do now) and agree completely with the OP's assessment of white collar types.

Everyone seems to be afraid of their own shadow and acts fake all the time. The blatant kissing up to managers, the politics, dealing with micromanaging *******s. I'm also constantly paranoid about what others are saying about me behind my back as there is much gossip, and I always feel like I'm walking on eggshells around my supervisors. They won't tell you to your face if you are doing something they don't like, they have their underlings drop hints. Most corporate managers are cowards.

But what I hate the most is how everyone feels the need to CONFORM. There are no original personalities or original ideas, just the same fake smiles and meaningless small talk. Everyone acts the same, the same old "Hi, how is your day Bill?", "Did you have a nice weekend?" etc. Blargh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment