Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 6,941 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am new to this site. I really need some help quitting.
Ok, i am working for this giant company that has tons of employees. Its an amusement park. I have only been working here for just over a month, and in this month, i have learn to hate it.
For example, we get a 30 min break for lunch. But in the 30 min break, you have to make your 10 min walk out the park to eat for 10 min, and then make your 10 min walk back to be on time. Not to mention, if a guest decides to ask questions. There goes your break.
I have been accused of stealing, which i assure you i did not do. And the job is feeling very uncomfortable, like i am not trusted by managers, because everyone was acting funny after my "interrogation." (I don't know if i still am under investigation)
I want to quit, but there proceeder to quitting takes longer than 2 weeks.
If i just do not show up, and drop off my stuff later. Would that work?
I wont be putting them on my work history, since it was only weekends, and for a month.
Please help guys. And for the record, i have 2 jobs lined up i can take. 1 paying a lot more than this one. So i wint be in the dumps if i do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardToreto View Post
I want to quit, but there proceeder to quitting takes longer than 2 weeks.
If i just do not show up, and drop off my stuff later. Would that work?
I wont be putting them on my work history, since it was only weekends, and for a month.
Please help guys. And for the record, i have 2 jobs lined up i can take. 1 paying a lot more than this one. So i wint be in the dumps if i do.
To answer most accurately, it is best if you tell us the following:

What state are you in?

Did you sign any contract regarding the procedures of quitting? (Although typically, this contract is void).

I believe in all states other than Montana, you can just outright quit with no consequences. Ofcourse you cannot use this company as a reference... so it is best to just leave it off your resume.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
If an employer said I was stealing from them and I didn't I'd see an attorney to see if I could sue them...

OR

Just turn in everything that belongs to them and get a receipt for it. Ask when you will get your last check and walk out..

Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 AM

21 posts, read 78,045 times
Since youre not going to use them, Id go ahead and just leave.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,782 times
If you are that unhappy I would simply ask to see you manager and turn in your stuff. When he asks why you're quitting explain that you have been treated unfair and you felt being accused of stealing was out of line then just walk out.

If they make a big deal out of it simply mention you will be contacting an attorney in regards to false theft accusation

Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 PM

856 posts, read 2,016,089 times
I've quit jobs before...the worst part is what people think of you (family, spouse, maybe close friends) because you quit. It may sound like "what other think doesn't matter" but when talking about family or a spouse it sometimes kills your morale and if you feel bad about yourself you may find it hard to find a new job. Another option is what future you thinks of this point in time. For instance if you find it hard to find a new job will you regret quitting? Whenever you think about quitting it's best to simply start looking for something new while still being employed.

If you have a regular job during the week then I say bag up your stuff before your shift and hand it to your manager and say "I don't think this position is for me but I thank you for the opportunity. Would you like to walk me out or should I go on my own?"

You know...speaking as someone who has worked in a similar environment you can wear a plain t shirt under your polo and just pop the uniform top off while you walk to lunch. Is there a lunchroom near where you punch out? Could you bring sandwiches or salads and just eat near the punchout station? Does your structure allow for a short lunch on saturday and a longer one on sunday?

As for stealing I probably would have quit at that point if it were going to be my reason...time has passed your manager probably doesn't even remember it happened.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Well first of all, breaks ALWAYS include the time it takes you to get to wherever you feel like going on your break. So it doesn't matter where you work now or later, you're going to have to get used to that fact.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,941 times
I am still in college, so this was just a weekend job, just to have a bit of money on the side. Like for fast food, haha.
I was interrogated on saturday, which was the last day i worked. So that really pushed me off the edge. I worked hard, and now my fellow employee's accuse me of stealing!?
I was one of there best. Not to mention, the only bilingual one there. Its just ridiculous!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM

21 posts, read 78,045 times
You also have to condsider the current unemployment market... leave the current job and take the one that offers more guarenteed pay ;-)

Old 05-06-2011, 03:25 PM

724 posts, read 1,686,223 times
If you can get another job, leave. If not, stay. They seem pretty crappy so I wouldn't worry about a two week notice or doing their quitting procedure. There is an easy way to quit. It's called leaving and not coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment