U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:34 PM

4,883 posts, read 11,482,270 times

Advertisements

Can somebody tell me more about the probation officer field? What goes on and all that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 AM

4,472 posts, read 9,024,817 times
Let me google that for you

Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 AM

121 posts, read 485,971 times
The requirements and job focus will vary from state to state. Some states have a focus in which the officers support the police, carry guns, make arrests, with a criminal justice emphasis. Some states have a human services focus, guns are optional. The human services focus emphasizes trying to prevent recidivism, with supports from the community. You are trying to help offenders find a place to live, employment, with available local resources. The ones that are CJ oriented are looking for human services and CJ degrees, the ones that are human services focused may not want CJ degrees. There is also the Federal system which has higher pay, and smaller caseloads. The state Probation officers are often under the Department of Correction. Check locally for the requirements. I worked the job for seven years and found it to be interesting, moderate pay, low risk.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,240,386 times
I don't know about them carrying guns, but I have a friend who is a probation officer as well as her husband-- and they both have to pass gun and shooting classes-- I do know they have the power to arrest as well so I am assuming that they do carry.

They also have specialties-- my friend works with child abusers and domestic violence people.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I don't know about them carrying guns, but I have a friend who is a probation officer as well as her husband-- and they both have to pass gun and shooting classes-- I do know they have the power to arrest as well so I am assuming that they do carry.

They also have specialties-- my friend works with child abusers and domestic violence people.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:04 AM

Is it true you might have to get up at late hours as a probation officer?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 AM

39,016 posts, read 21,156,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Nope. A friend of mine is a deputy probation officer standing at 5'9" and coming in at 145lbs.

Like many careers these days, it's all about who you know, not what you know. This same friend took a few classes in sociology and criminal justice but never finished college and somehow managed to get a job as a deputy probation officer.

As for getting a job in the public sector goes, you'll need a lot of luck. The government is broke, remember? Finding a job in the public sector is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Agreed that due to fiscal budget crisis in the state of California, you may have a challenging time getting employed. If you are truly serious about this field, you definitely want to seek out internship/volunteer experience as that would give you a better edge over students without experience.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:20 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,057,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Is it true you might have to get up at late hours as a probation officer?
Yes. All legal type jobs (aside from maybe a lawyer) will be shift work (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

Old 05-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Well, I am going to be volunteering a couple weeks. After I get my summer job schedule set, and will be looking into what it's like to help drug addicts out. See if I can handle it.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 215 times
Default minority representation

what about the minority representation in this profession?
QUOTE=the city;19110657]I am wondering about the probation officer career. I am pretty much a scrawny guy and I am wondering like the police academy if they train you to be built?

My major is Sociology and I am trying to decide if my emphasis should be in criminology or social services.

Criminology to be a probation offier and social services to be a case manager/social worker.

Thanks.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment