Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 AM

433 posts, read 1,370,125 times

Advertisements

So I'll give you guys a brief description of what my job at the dollar store involves and let me know what you guys think of it:

My role at the dollar store is to act as second cashier. When there's a medium-sized lineup at the cash, the one cashier calls on me (the second cashier) to help serve the line-up. When I'm not at the cash, I'm supposed to be stocking/fixing shelves in a certain aisle for that shift. It feels like I get 2-5 minutes to do the stocking/fixing (I would say 10 minutes max) until I get called back at the cash to help serve another long or medium-sized lineup. Sometimes there's a 3rd or 4th cashier helping us if it gets really busy.

What I'm supposed to stock/fix/re-arrange on the shelves is to supposed to be done at the end of my shift, and I only get 5 hour shifts. My boss explained to me that I need to put speed in the work. I just went through the first month of my 3 month probation. Now I'm really starting to understand it when he means speed. Imean, he did explain to me in the interview that they get more customers than Wal-Mart. And why not, when there's nothing over $2? I guess I'm just going to have to speed up and maybe examine what needs to be done in the aisle before starting my shift. Also forgot to mention that there's customers asking me where things are which is another thing slowing me down.

But I'd also like to know what you guys think of these responsibilities. Does it sound impossible/hard to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 06:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Sounds like one of those low paying jobs where they expect you to perform miracles , just take it easy and let the boss know of the problems you have.
Do the best you can, i doubt you'll be there long as places like that usually have a high turn over with employees.
Try some coffee shops as they also have high turn over but they dont ask you to perform miracles and you get free coffee,
That Second Cup in Alexis Nihon is usually hiring.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
For one thing, I wouldn't come right away when the first cashier called for me. I'd take a moment or two to finish stocking. I mean it's not like several customers are a life or death issue or anything. Second of all, I'd make sure I didn't have more stuff out in the aisles then I could stock b/c leaving it out just advertises what you haven't done. Finally, I'd spend more time on what the boss is harping about it. If his hang up is stocking, I'd worry more about stocking then running to help cashier one.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Obviously the store has been open for a while and they know what is a reasonable pace for doing your job. Ask the boss how much time is reasonable to try to finish the task vs. responding to the call to help up front and then do exactly as the boss says. If the boss says to drop the work and run up front, do that. If the boss says finish the task if at all possible in a couple of minutes then jog up front, do that. Thank you for taking your job seriously and really wanting to do a good job. I don't believe this is an impossible job. You just need clarity on the expectations, that's all!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Obviously the store has been open for a while and they know what is a reasonable pace for doing your job. Ask the boss how much time is reasonable to try to finish the task vs. responding to the call to help up front and then do exactly as the boss says. If the boss says to drop the work and run up front, do that. If the boss says finish the task if at all possible in a couple of minutes then jog up front, do that. Thank you for taking your job seriously and really wanting to do a good job. I don't believe this is an impossible job. You just need clarity on the expectations, that's all!
Why is it obvious the store has been open for a while?

Anyway, you won't believe what happened today. There was alot more customers than usual, and I mean ALOT. My boss either didn't notice or didn't give a ****. I was supposed to go get the different chocolate bars in the backstore and place in the appropriate spot. I have to get 1 different kind at a time because he noticed that clients like to look and pick in the carriage of chocolates when nobody's working on them. I didn't even get a damn total of 10 minutes the 2 or 3 times I left the cash area to place them and he comes and asks if I was done while I was at the cash.. WTF?? Does he see how many freakin' customers there are? I might have been done if there was the normal amount of people as usual. I even decided to take 15 minutes off my 30 minute break to do some work on it. Plus, this process even involved searching through the piles of boxes of chocolates needed in the chocolate are of the backstore, it's not like I could just automatically pick up what I need and go place them.

I'm assuming maybe I should just start working earlier than the time he puts me, at least half an hour earlier. It just seems ****ing ridiculous at this point. I'm starting the third month of my 3 month probation and I have no idea what else to do anymore.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Why is it obvious the store has been open for a while?

Anyway, you won't believe what happened today. There was alot more customers than usual, and I mean ALOT. My boss either didn't notice or didn't give a ****. I was supposed to go get the different chocolate bars in the backstore and place in the appropriate spot. I have to get 1 different kind at a time because he noticed that clients like to look and pick in the carriage of chocolates when nobody's working on them. I didn't even get a damn total of 10 minutes the 2 or 3 times I left the cash area to place them and he comes and asks if I was done while I was at the cash.. WTF?? Does he see how many freakin' customers there are? I might have been done if there was the normal amount of people as usual. I even decided to take 15 minutes off my 30 minute break to do some work on it. Plus, this process even involved searching through the piles of boxes of chocolates needed in the chocolate are of the backstore, it's not like I could just automatically pick up what I need and go place them.

I'm assuming maybe I should just start working earlier than the time he puts me, at least half an hour earlier. It just seems ****ing ridiculous at this point. I'm starting the third month of my 3 month probation and I have no idea what else to do anymore.
Clocking in early would be a violation of store policy I imagine, and working off the clock is illegal. You could get them in a whole lot of trouble, and in consequence, you could get in trouble as well.

And no, he probably didn't notice how busy you were with customers, because he has a whole lot more to deal with than just some chocolate bars and handing back change. Instead of reading into his question, why didn't you answer it: "Not yet boss, business is busy today! Have you checked today's net recently? I'm still working on the chocolate bars and I'll let you know when I'm done."

And once again, you seem to have a MAJOR listening problem. I don't know if it's just ADHD or if you have some sort of cognitive issue, but I honestly and genuinely suggest you talk to a doctor. A person should be able to concentrate for more than a few seconds on task like returning change, and hear a simple question from their boss, without losing focus about what they are supposed to be doing or what is being said.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Clocking in early would be a violation of store policy I imagine, and working off the clock is illegal. You could get them in a whole lot of trouble, and in consequence, you could get in trouble as well.

And no, he probably didn't notice how busy you were with customers, because he has a whole lot more to deal with than just some chocolate bars and handing back change. Instead of reading into his question, why didn't you answer it: "Not yet boss, business is busy today! Have you checked today's net recently? I'm still working on the chocolate bars and I'll let you know when I'm done."

And once again, you seem to have a MAJOR listening problem. I don't know if it's just ADHD or if you have some sort of cognitive issue, but I honestly and genuinely suggest you talk to a doctor. A person should be able to concentrate for more than a few seconds on task like returning change, and hear a simple question from their boss, without losing focus about what they are supposed to be doing or what is being said.
The handing back change thing is no longer a problem. And I understood clearly what my boss was telling me. I told him No and he says the usual "You have to speed up..." What do you mean about the latter??

Also, there's no "clocking in" or "signing in" at the start of your shift at this job. You just come in and work.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
What do you mean about the latter??
I mean, he asked 'Are you done?' Not, "Why aren't you done?" Do you see the difference? Don't jump to conclusions. Listen to the question, and answer it. Focus.

I am not trying to be mean here. I'm just pointing out that these are really, really basic things that you seem to be struggling with. Listening to a few words and comprehending them. Matching items on a shelf to what is in your hand. Remembering to do something with what you put in your hand. A professional could help identify exactly what the problem is and recommend an effective solution so that you don't struggle so much.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Why are you thinking so much into a minimum wage job?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:03 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I mean, he asked 'Are you done?' Not, "Why aren't you done?" Do you see the difference? Don't jump to conclusions. Listen to the question, and answer it. Focus.

I am not trying to be mean here. I'm just pointing out that these are really, really basic things that you seem to be struggling with. Listening to a few words and comprehending them. Matching items on a shelf to what is in your hand. Remembering to do something with what you put in your hand. A professional could help identify exactly what the problem is and recommend an effective solution so that you don't struggle so much.

You talking to him like he is a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment