Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 AM

645 posts, read 1,453,895 times

Advertisements

why do we always have to settle for the job that we don't want? The job that I did want, I didn't get it and got disappointed. Now it seems like I may have to take a job as a POfficer and that is not what I want to do, although I went to school to become a paralegal. I feel like if I take this job I will just be doing it for the money. Anyone else been in a situation like this? If we have to settle for something that we don't want, does that mean that maybe that is what we need at the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,472,727 times
Beggars can't be choosers.

Besides you don't have to like your job. Heck the last poll found 85% of Americans hate their job. You just have to do it collect your paycheck and have fun off work.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:59 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,857,234 times
I definitely settled for my job. My husband was out of work for 2 years so our resources were drained. The company I worked for had to shut down. We were both out of work, had a family to support, a mortgage to pay, and food to buy so I got a job in under a week. I knew that if I held out longer, I probably could have gotten a better job that I would actually enjoy but that wasn't an option. It is scary when one spouse is a "long term unemployed" and the other spouse loses their job.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM

3,826 posts, read 9,506,485 times
Until the economy picks up just be grateful that you have a job. I've really had to come to accept that I will have to work at a company that is only going to pay me half of what I used to make. Started my career with a company that had almost 500 sales reps and 65 offices around the country and I had my career path laid out in front of me. Five years later the company was down to 200 sales reps and 10 offices and the last time I looked they were strictly an internet company with no sales reps.

The career options that we thought we had 10-15 years have evaporated for a lot of us. You will go crazy thinking about what you should be doing instead of figuring out how to be content with what you have.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 AM

645 posts, read 1,453,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Until the economy picks up just be grateful that you have a job. I've really had to come to accept that I will have to work at a company that is only going to pay me half of what I used to make. Started my career with a company that had almost 500 sales reps and 65 offices around the country and I had my career path laid out in front of me. Five years later the company was down to 200 sales reps and 10 offices and the last time I looked they were strictly an internet company with no sales reps.

The career options that we thought we had 10-15 years have evaporated for a lot of us. You will go crazy thinking about what you should be doing instead of figuring out how to be content with what you have.
awwwww I'm sorry, but you are so right!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 AM

27 posts, read 168,471 times
Never settle

Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 AM

98 posts, read 239,586 times
I don't think settling (or not settling) has anything to do with state of the economy.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,857,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
I don't think settling (or not settling) has anything to do with state of the economy.
I think my settling has everything to do with the economy. Both of our jobs were lost to the economy. I settled because I had to feed my family and was competing against others who lost their jobs in this economy. I don't see how it could be seen any other way.

I am guessing you are one of the lucky ones who hasn't been laid off and had to fight thousands of other applicants for someone to even read your resume much less call you for an interview.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,221,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I am guessing you are one of the lucky ones who
Must we go down this road again?

It seems like every other thread in this forum starts on an interesting topic until someone can't resist pointing at another poster who disagrees with their viewpoint and either labels them lucky for having a job or lazy for not having one.

Stick to the subject num1baby, the thread is not about muochoir.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 AM

98 posts, read 239,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I think my settling has everything to do with the economy. Both of our jobs were lost to the economy. I settled because I had to feed my family and was competing against others who lost their jobs in this economy. I don't see how it could be seen any other way.

I am guessing you are one of the lucky ones who hasn't been laid off and had to fight thousands of other applicants for someone to even read your resume much less call you for an interview.
Even when the economy was good, there were people who would settle. That's why I said it has nothing to do with the economy. In a great economy, there's no guarantee that the OP won't have to settle for something else. Even when things were doing great, I still saw starving lawyers. So if there were starving lawyers, I would think there would also be starving paralegals. Well, and other fields.

We've experienced longterm (3yrs) unemployment/underemployment. It was even worse because there was no such thing as extended unemployment benefits. Unemployment was not at 10% so who cares about the unemployed.

Last edited by muochoir; 04-28-2011 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment