U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 AM

43 posts, read 348,787 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if competition was more fierce for jobs requiring a Bachelor's degree or for jobs requiring a Master's degree.

I would think that jobs requiring a Master's degree are easier to get into because fewer people have a Master's degree. But the competition probably goes from being quantitative to highly qualitative.

What do you guys think?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,549,152 times
This is just me venting...but I kind of feel like MBA's are a joke these days... the frequency at which they're given out to people who really don't deserve them makes me feel like mine is worth absolutely nothing LOL I feel like it's a stock job requirement these days, like a BS or BA used to be.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 AM

2,681 posts, read 4,077,368 times
tabbat, I agree somewhat with you about the MBA but I do think it depends on the employer also. I'm almost done with mine and I'd hate to think its not worth anything. I know that with an MBA I might be more attractive to an employer that is looking for someone who has furthered their education. I do agree that it might be a stock requirement these days, but you can't take the fact away that we decided after 4 years of undergrad, to spend another X amount of years going to school part time and working full-time to further our educations. To some employers that could mean a lot.

On top of this and this might have come from the recession, I'm still young so I'm not sure how it was before, but I think you can't stop training yourself. Once I finish my MBA I am going to pursue graduate certificates in specialized areas...I just feel that it show to potential employers that you want to learn and can learn.

Again, every employer is different and you never know what can get you that interview.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,713,344 times
I think an MS overqualifies you for the many Bachelors degree jobs so there are less opportunities. That's what it seems to be for Mech Eng jobs.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 AM

2,681 posts, read 4,077,368 times
I agree it's different for every industry also. I would think that if you're applying for a job where an MS would over qualify you, leave the MS off. As far as I understand, if anyone ever asks you why you left it off, you can just say it wasn't applicable to this particular job. Like when you leave certain work experience off that isn't applicable.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM

26,345 posts, read 86,680,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchargers View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if competition was more fierce for jobs requiring a Bachelor's degree or for jobs requiring a Master's degree.

I would think that jobs requiring a Master's degree are easier to get into because fewer people have a Master's degree. But the competition probably goes from being quantitative to highly qualitative.

What do you guys think?
Statistically you'd have to know the number of candidates with bachelors, the number of bachelor jobs, the number of candidates with masters and the number of masters jobs.

So, which is more competitive 10,000 bachelor jobs and 11,000 bachelor candidates

OR

1000 masters jobs but 1500 masters candidates?

While it is true that there are less people with masters degrees (as you mentioned in your original post) that might not translate into less competition.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
tabbat, I agree somewhat with you about the MBA but I do think it depends on the employer also. I'm almost done with mine and I'd hate to think its not worth anything. I know that with an MBA I might be more attractive to an employer that is looking for someone who has furthered their education. I do agree that it might be a stock requirement these days, but you can't take the fact away that we decided after 4 years of undergrad, to spend another X amount of years going to school part time and working full-time to further our educations. To some employers that could mean a lot.

On top of this and this might have come from the recession, I'm still young so I'm not sure how it was before, but I think you can't stop training yourself. Once I finish my MBA I am going to pursue graduate certificates in specialized areas...I just feel that it show to potential employers that you want to learn and can learn.

Again, every employer is different and you never know what can get you that interview.
Totally true. Just knowing that my slacker brother has one, and my useless ex-boss... it's embittered me a little LOL!

I am glad I have it...it really set me apart when I was younger (I'm sure I was one of the only 20 year old candidates with one)... and I'm sure it still puts me in contention for certain jobs. I went back for my JD to set myself even further apart (I hope to God I never feel like I need more than that).

Slightly off-topic, but a friend of a friend on Facebook just posted that she was going to switch jobs for health care benifts and because the additional money would help her go back for an MBA. If that doesn't make my point... I don't know what does

Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,559,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Totally true. Just knowing that my slacker brother has one, and my useless ex-boss... it's embittered me a little LOL!

I am glad I have it...it really set me apart when I was younger (I'm sure I was one of the only 20 year old candidates with one)... and I'm sure it still puts me in contention for certain jobs. I went back for my JD to set myself even further apart (I hope to God I never feel like I need more than that).

Slightly off-topic, but a friend of a friend on Facebook just posted that she was going to switch jobs for health care benifts and because the additional money would help her go back for an MBA. If that doesn't make my point... I don't know what does
You had a MBA at 20? At which age did you start your undergrad? Where did you get it from?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 AM

I started my BS at 16... finished at 19, and my MBA only took a year (I started it while I was in my last year of my BS, and I had taken just the right combination of undergrad courses so that most of them transferred). Then I went right into law school and finished that at 24.

I went to Oakland University in Michigan for the BS and MBA...nothing fancy. I wanted to stay close to home b/c I worked nearby at General Motors.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:35 AM

1,735 posts, read 2,169,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
This is just me venting...but I kind of feel like MBA's are a joke these days... the frequency at which they're given out to people who really don't deserve them makes me feel like mine is worth absolutely nothing LOL I feel like it's a stock job requirement these days, like a BS or BA used to be.
MBAs outside the top 20 schools have always been a joke. It's not a recent thing. I'm surprised you aren't aware; you really didn't do your due diligence if that's the case.

The whole point of top MBAs is the social and recruiting network. With the exception of engineering and medicine (because of small class sizes and consistency in rigor), the name of your grad school matters a whole lot.

As a 24 year old with no management experience or even working experience, your MBA from a lower tier school will be of very little use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment