Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM

87 posts, read 383,228 times

Advertisements

I never met anyone as unfriendly as this guy. I worked for him 3 years and not once did he ever tell me good morning on his own. And when I told him good morning, his reply was always the same. He would kinda do this moan thing as he reluctantly said, hi. It was always hi, and it always seem to have a question mark after it. It was like, well, okay, if you're going to force me to greet you, this is all you're gonna get.
He was so stinkin picky too. Had to use a red pen for this, a pencil for that, and his files had to be just so. And he drove me crazy checking, double-checking and even triple-checking things!
Anyway, I left a little early one Friday afternnon afternoon, only one left in the office. Two weeks went by, the office manager was out on vacation. Next week after that I took my vacation.
Here I am Saturday afternoon in Branson, MO outdoors enjoying the start of vacation, we had plans to see some shows and just enjoy ourselves with fine entertainment, fine dining and lounging around the pool. And then my cell phone rang. It's him. He waits until I go on vacation and calls me to fire me! That sucks!
Some attorney, huh? Didn't even have the balls to fire me in person. He waited two weeks after the "horrible" incident because he needed me to cover while his office manager was on vacation.
I can just hear him saying, "This is an extreme violation of the way we do things around here!"
But I can say I was happy I didn't have to go back and look as his ugly face again! Or listen to his voice again. Ever. He was the jerk of all jerks. It was a blessing in disguise.

I got unemployment, but ended up having to pay it all back. If you live in Arkansas, don't fall for it. They give it to you, but then take it back.
They said I was disqualified.
Oh well, those are the breaks...............when you live in the natural state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 19,351 times
Been fired from several unfourtantly. (When I was a teenager) Finally learned my lesson and realized if I want to get a law enforcement job, I need to get a stable job

For some reason, no matter what you do here where I am at now, you cannot get yourself fired

Old 10-05-2007, 04:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
At the place I work, there are many people who are fired every month. Many are fired without any type of notice or warning of any type. It is a shock to them and many are quite angry because they know it will take them months to find a new job with a termination on their record.

When I worked for a large Fortune 500 Company, the Management were real strict and no one could be fired without due process unless it was a case of gross misconduct.

Have you or a friend been fired. Was it fair? Tell us your stories.
I've put myself out of more jobs, by computerizing my position then I've been laid off. I keep thinking, was I stupid.. I could have sat there, ran my little computerized programs doing my jobs for me.. but nooo.. I always assumed that they'd put me in another position.

I've talked to people that work where I used to work, those positions have never been filled off.. So obviously I did something right.

(I once computerized a whole department out of a job.. They didnt like me very well)

Thank god I'm self employed now..

Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I've been fired or pushed out of every company I worked for. I'm older, wiser, and now I work for myself. I'll never work for another corporation again.

greenmachine
Thank god its still legal to start your own company ha? Seems that those of us who cant keep a job.. make the best employers.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 PM

667 posts, read 2,888,672 times
I've never been fired from a job but once it came VERY close.

I worked at an engineering firm on one of their survey crews. 60-80 hours every week. My boss once suspended one guy for a day because they guy could only work 8 hours one Friday.

I'm in the Army National Guard and recently we had had some additional training. Instead of the one weekend a month deal, I had to do a total 3, 3 day weekend trainings over two months.

After the last one, I was called into the office with my immediate supervisor and his supervisor to talk to me. I was told point blank "You have a choice to make, being in the National Guard or working here." They also told me that since the Guard is one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year, that is ALL that they are giving me. This was also before 9-11.

Needless to say, it's amazing how according to them I completely misunderstood what was said behind closed doors once I got JAG and ESGR involved.

To this day, I'm still not sure if they did not know the law or they knew and still tried to intimidate me.

Either way, I knew that my days were counting down as soon as I lawyered up. I left within a month.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Never been fired from a job, but i left a job on a one-day notice. Funny thing is, i ask my supervisor for a raise only to have him rudely shoot me down. Meanwhile, i've been looking for employment elsewhere and much to my chagrin, a company called me and asked me to start the next day. I went into the office midway through the day and told him i wasn't going to be coming in due to the fact i got another job starting tommorrow that pays MORE money. He complained about not giving him a two-week notice. I just laughed at his dumb-a$$!

Revenge was sweet for me that day!!!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 AM

95 posts, read 1,294,471 times
I have never been fired but my sister has. It was a crock. The boss's 19 year old daughter had a stalker. Everyone in the office knew about it but my sister because she had only been there 2 weeks. No one in the office was allowed to talk about the stalker or ask questions about the stalker. One day when they thought the boss was out, my sister overheard two employees talking about the stalker. My sister said out loud, "... has a stalker???", the boss overheard it and fired her on the spot because he thought she was the one gossiping about the about the stalker. Of course the other two ladies did not come to her defense and tell him that they were the ones gossiping about the stalker. The boss told my sister that she should mind her own business and not gossip about his daugther and her stalker. Weird!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:45 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
I've been "fired" once and laid off twice. With the firing episode, I was working at a music store and got a call out of the blue (didn't apply) from this IT company that was looking for a recruiter. I was thrilled; because I had my associate's degree in electronics and fiinally I was getting a job in my field! I was hired with 2 other women, and at first...it seemed to be set up very well. Formal training program....your own desk....business cards. The only thing that seemed weird then was that although the company was 15 years old...we were all new recruiters? Apparently there had been 'someone' before...but they were totally out of the picture.

Anyway, when we actually started working, we were given a database of "leads". These were simply resumes that were downloaded from some website online. We were instructed to call these people and offer our IT certification training program as a tool/system to make them more competitive in the workforce. The certification was the Microsoft MCSE certification program along with the Network +, A+, and Cisco certification; and it was "only" $17,000.00. So yeah, that's what we were really "recruiting" for. Then I found out this company didn't even have instructors for all of the programs! When we would "interview" people, we would tell them about the benefits of certification and get $250 for each person that signed up. But remember, most of these people did not seek us out...they just posted their resume online. And very rarely, did they have any sort of degree or formal training in computers (because if they did, they wouldn't fall for this). During interviews I would hear people's stories; worked at a grocery store, haven't worked in several years, outdated skills. With some of them, I would suggest taking a computer class at the local community college for $200; before spending $17,000.00 for Microsoft certification (which is quite difficult by the way). Anyway a supervisor heard this. I was chewed out and reduced to tears (I had never been fired previously). But looking back....I was really glad I did what I did.

I was laid off from a seasonal job at K-Mart and from my current job last October (I was re-hired in March). But in both cases, that was simply due to decline in business.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,150 times
In 1994, after two years of testing, evaluations etc, I got a job as a police dispatcher for a major city. They had a residency requirement and I lived within the county. On my first week of work, my husband's grandmother died and we were offered her house in a neighboring county, the house was 1.8 miles from the county line, no crime, top rated school district...basically a dream come true. I went straight to my employer and they told me not to worry about it, that they had been anticipating a change in the restriction.

Two years later, the communications department was taken from the city police by the county sheriff. My position, although paid by the county was as a control operator for a city district. The city did change their residency restriction, but the county did not. The sgt I worked under moved to my community, as did many other officers.

I was a strong employee and was selected as law enforcement dispatcher of the year in 2000.

Fast forward to 2005, two weeks after my most favorable evaluation ever, the city is building a new football stadium and is in major financial red. Out of the blue, two internal affairs detectives arrived unannounced to my home (I thought someone had died) and interviewed me about how I was able to live in this community for 11 years. They made a phone call, I was suspended by 10 a.m and fired, at home, by 5 p.m.

Seven months later, as a result of the two agencies (city police and county deputies) consolidating, they lifted their restriction and even those two IA detectives were able to move to my community if they wanted to; just as I told them in the interview.

The firing was fiscal, they didn't care who I was or what a great employee I was. They didn't even care who I was.

Ten months later....better job....better agency....better money....and their consolidated agency is in chaos and low moral. They did me a huge favor. Idiots.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:12 PM

116 posts, read 445,356 times
Its funny because my father who has worked for just 2 different companies his working life doesnt get it. Only reason he worked for 2 is the first went out of business. I try to explain to him things arent the way they were back in the day. There is no loyalty no long term employment. If a company can replace you and save money they do. The rules are black and white with no gray areas and I am sorry as human beings we all live in gray areas. Now dont get me wrong consistent lateness, missed days poor work ethic are all good reasons to terminate but it seems like it always the good employees that fall in the cracks and you know the ones I am talking about, the people with family emergencies or problems and it effects their work. Instead of trying to help find a common meeting ground these people are just terminated. Man over the years I have lost some good people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment