Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 10,107 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a married mother of two with a full time job. I want to go back to school to finish my accounting degree. A school like National American University would be the best option for me to finish my degree because of the flexible scheduling option. I am wondering if I will be able to get a good job in an accounting field with a degree from National American University?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,740 times
I think if you have a job and can hold the job AND go to school, you do not lose anything by getting the degree, since you already have a job and the degree will only open up doors, not cost you education for experience like so many young kids like me who got the degree instead of 4 years in our profession.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,850,924 times
Is that something like the University of Phoenix?

If so, forget it. Not only do those "for profit" online diploma mills cost more than traditional universities, but the quality of education is garbage.

I have worked in both a CPA firm and as a staff accountant for a private company and in both working environments, EVERYONE had a degree from a traditional university. There was not one person who had a University of Phoenix type "degree". Employers treat online "degrees" as a joke.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:09 PM

243 posts, read 547,995 times
What's the tuition like? Their website just directs readers to contact their local branch for details. Google search turned up a figure of $250-260 per credit hour. That's $100/unit more than distance learning programs from UCLA, Berkeley, and Cornell.

I'd be wary of paying so much given today's job environment. That is, unless your employer has a tuition reimbursement program.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,641,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

If so, forget it. Not only do those "for profit" online diploma mills cost more than traditional universities, but the quality of education is garbage.

I have worked in both a CPA firm and as a staff accountant for a private company and in both working environments, EVERYONE had a degree from a traditional university. There was not one person who had a University of Phoenix type "degree". Employers treat online "degrees" as a joke.
You make some good points but you also make some inaccurate ones as well.

An online degree from a reputable university is NOT considered a joke. You can get almost 100% online degrees from Harvard University, UNC CH, Cornell, Columbia, etc.

My master's was done online from a competitive state university program. Apparently none of the respective business schools from Duke, UNC CH, or Wharton are turning their nose up at my Masters. My employer a large financial services firm also did not mind paying for my masters or any other online courses I have taken.

I would highly recommend if you are going to get an online degree you get one from a regionally accredited college or university that is a not for profit such as Strayer, Everest, Phoenix, etc.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 AM

123 posts, read 245,863 times
If it has to be online go for a good public university with a good online program. Remember even the public universities online programs are ranked differently than the univ's traditional program.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,951,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

Agree. CPA and tax acct here. No one I know in this business has a degree from Univ of Phoenix or any of the other schools that only have an online presence. I've taken online classes, but all have been from traditional, brick and mortar schools that happen to offer online classes. One of my faves is LSU--very cost-effective and great acct courses.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 10,107 times
Wow - thanks for the advice. I am really happy to hear replies from people in the industry, as I know a lot of people who have told me that these degrees are considered OK.

Yes, National American University is a school like University of Phoenix. My employer has tuition reimbursement and a huge discount is given because of my emplyer. These were also huge factors in my consideration for going there.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,558 times
So this is really devastating to me. I currently go to NAU (yea - it's like U. of Phoenix). I am going for accounting, but your replies on here are making me rethink what I am doing.

Should I transfer to a regular college while I can? Are you sure I can't get a job with my degree there?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,951,951 times
Yes, I would transfer. I think most of the online schools that specifically target working adults (like Phoenix) are too expensive and too watered down. In other words, they aren't teaching what you need to know. This is only my opinion and based solely on my review of coursework that I've seen when friends and coworkers have taken Univ of Phoenix classes. Again, my concern is that these schools are way overpriced, not highly regarded, and, most importantly, aren't teaching you what you need to know. Also, regional accreditation is better than national.

Incidentally, even though I already have my degree, I'm always taking courses somewhere. Here's some of my favorite schools that offer online courses/distance education (Note: for some you'll have to arrange proctoring at a local library, college, or school)

Community colleges: metropolitan community college of nebraska & central community college of nebraska--MCC has some particularly good basic accounting courses.

4 year public: Eastern Oregon university (offers a BSBA in bus admin that can be done completely online) and Louisiana State University.

Sure there are others, but these are colleges I've dealt with most recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment