Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 9,250 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just registered even though I have been reading these boards for years. Great source of information and highly entertaining too!

I am wondering if someone can help me think about my professional situation and whether it would be a good idea to go back to a university to take CS classes. I would so appreciate any honest info you have.

I am 23 and I have a BA in Political Science/Spanish and an MPA (master of public administration) from two different state flagship schools in two different regions of the country. I always had various jobs in college and completed 2 master's level internships (unpaid), so I am not someone who has avoided the working world. In fact, as a senior in college, I was promoted to an on-site supervisory position for about 6 months, which I left.

The actual paying job that I have always fallen into in the past 5 years is tutoring math (thru calculus 1). This keeps me afloat, but is no substitute for a full-time job with a salary and benefits. I have been unable to find such a job in this economy, despite my internships and applying for something like 170 jobs so far.

The idea behind the MPA program was to get into the federal government. I had no idea how incredibly difficult it is to do so and how lengthy the application process is. I am not exactly a "change the world" type, but I always wanted to help people. I find that I am no longer that interested in the policy field, however. Of course, if a job like that came up, I would take it - but I have a feeling that won't happen for quite a while.

Truthfully, I really like math and am happy to do math all day. I know several programmers who are doing very well and I wonder if I should try to join them by taking some postbac classes in CS, trying to get work experience, and then perhaps getting a second master's only if necessary.

I emailed the recruiter at the engineering college at the local university down the street where I would be doing this. The school has a good reputation at least regionally. She told me this would be a very bad idea and I would appear unfocused to employers, and would present a "HUGE" red flag .

I was surprised by this reaction. I understand that wandering aimlessly through academia does not help anyone get a job. But I would be looking to get experience ASAP. I understand that CS is a field where experience counts more than degrees, so if I got the experience, would they really care that I had already done some other master's program?

I am going to go talk to her in person this week I think, but I would like to get some other opinions. Be honest - would companies want to hire someone who already had a master's and then went back for CS? Also, is it possible to work part-time in a CS related job or get experience while taking the initial CS classes, or do you need to get further along in school before doing that?

By the way, I am absolutely not under the impression that just because someone has a master's in CS they're a great coder, automatically better than someone else with a BS, qualified automatically to supervise them, etc. I know it's all about experience and I realize I could learn to write code on my own. I would just prefer to do it at a school.

Thank you so, so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment