Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
Nurses are making good money these days, but I feel like hospitals can't afford to keep paying those high salaries and they will figure out a way to bring the salaries down.
Just wait 'til government medicine takes over. For one, you not gonna want the job. Second, you're sure as hell not gonna want to be a patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantc View Post
Who do you think pay for the politicians' outrageous book deals and speaking engagements when they retire from politics? You guess right -- the same greedy corporations that hire foreigners instead of Americans and fight for an open border for cheap illegal labors.
Just a couple of months ago, Senator Clinton was in Silicon Valley making a speech to a 'high tech' audience, exclaiming the need to increase the number of H1B visas. This would allow Indian educated workers into the US to compete for those 'high tech' jobs. Also in the news at about that time was the disclosure that the same Senator and her highly influential husband had been jet setting about the country at the courtesy of Vikas Gupta, Indian educated and founder of 'high tech' consulting services.

Elections? anyone?

OxBlog

For the past four years, the Clintons have jetted around on Vinod Gupta's corporate plane, to Switzerland, Hawaii, Jamaica, Mexico -- $900,000 worth of travel. The former president secured a $3.3 million consulting deal with Gupta's technology firm. His presidential library got a six-figure gift, too...

Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 AM

186 posts, read 549,427 times
Don't let HB1 passes come here. Me and my buddy applied for the same position. I wouldn't accept anything less than $60k I don't think My buddy would accept anything less than $80k. A HB1 guy from Indian got the job for $40k. MERRY CHRISTMAS AMERICA.......... Don't ask me how this guy can even afford to live.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
Don't let HB1 passes come here. Me and my buddy applied for the same position. I wouldn't accept anything less than $60k I don't think My buddy would accept anything less than $80k. A HB1 guy from Indian got the job for $40k. MERRY CHRISTMAS AMERICA.......... Don't ask me how this guy can even afford to live.

Was he qualified? Could he do the job?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Was he qualified? Could he do the job?
You would have to ask the company that hired him. I am sure he is, Why would someone hire someone that is not qualified?

Maybe this guy doesn't live like most foreigns that come to America for work, But have you ever seen 10 Mexicans living in a 800sqft room, or live at the job site in their car? Maybe that is how us Americans are expected to live.

Last edited by mach; 08-23-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: deleted words

Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You are not dealing with recruiters. Headhunters are a different breed I would rather not be associated with.
There is not much of an approach - honesty, believing I have a good product to sell, knowing my industry (banking/finance) and respect. Lots of it.
A monkey can make a phone call, but you need more then a job description to talk intelligently with a professional. I found sourcing to be my niche.
Not disclosing a client can be a client request. Would you like to hear through the grapevine that you will be replaced or the vacant position you are in line for will not be filled by you?
How many make it? A lot think it is a way to make fast money, some good ones do.
I can speak only for the industry I know - there is an acute shortage of well trained professionals to move into the positions of retiring baby boomers.
A degree is nice, two are better but what do you really bring to the table and what do you expect for it? An employer will not hire the cheapest labor but the most cost efficient.
As immigrant - legal and somewhat educated - I never had an issue finding a good job. Maybe not always in my original field of translation/interpretation.

Let me get on my hobby horse - resumes and interview skills. It is hard to believe how many sloppy resumes are floating on job banks and on the net. This is an initial contact. Remember first impressions ....? Do not rely on spell check! It cannot be so hard to be prepared for an interview. Do your homework, wear that suit a couple of times so it does not make you feel uncomfortable, have your questions ready, bring notes and most of all - do not overstay your welcome.
I think you are correct that recruiters and headhunters are a different breed of cat. And it is the headhunters who seem the most clueless. But then again, they are mostly just churning a numbers game. In the real world I prefer to do "hard money" contracts (fixed price for a project as opposed to some hourly rate) so I understand multiple bids, pricing and win/loss ratios and do not any of it personally and very little of it seriously. But some folks do and I suppose that is the "secrets, secrets" part.

As far as shortages of up and coming professionals to fill slots in corporatocracies -- who can the corporation blame but themselves for not training, nurturing, and growing the replacements? Same as America with being short on low skilled entry level folks after we have aborted 30 to 50 million American children and are now seeking to replace them with illegal import workers. Kind of a big case of who did not see that coming? And the immigrants I went to college and work with -- I like fine -- it is just sometimes I think live in the dumbest (on the upper end) country in the world. Personally I blame MBAs. Dumbest of the graduate level college folks. Only thing dumber was turning the country over to them.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:00 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
You would have to ask the company that hired him. I am sure he is, Why would someone hire someone that is not qualified?

Maybe this guy doesn't live like most foreigns that come to America for work, But have you ever seen 10 Mexicans living in a 800sqft room, or live at the job site in their car? Maybe that is how us Americans are expected to live.
Does anyone remember this?

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Where did your families come from? How did they get here?

Keep getting excited about Mexicans and South Americans making it across the border to eek out a living. Have you ever done manual labor in 100F? My point.

Have you looked at the brains entering the US legally and where they take it from there? Scares me considerably more.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 PM

Past posts say I am an electrician, I worked it all.

I don't mind foreigners coming to the USA for work. Just the same as me leaving PA to better myself. I have a problem when they come in for peanuts, and HAVE to live and act like slobs.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,496 times
I'm a labor analyst for a major jobs agency and I would like to second what was written here - very good facts. The labor market is extremely tight in the US, and with some professions there truly are more jobs than people. The problem is that there are "clumps" of employment and communication is terrible so companies and workers tend to miss one another.

If you are senior in your profession, here are some tips:
1) use a job board and map out the clumps - maybe you need to move with your industry, or become a road warrior consultant
2) firms, even small ones, over-hire in Feb-April with college grads and then shed them in August. Postitons of 5+ yrs experience are at their top in Aug-Sep and in January. Most companies will pay 20% over base salary for experience and try to fill with experience before hitting the colleges. It's cheaper to hire someone at a higher salary than fire and start over again on an entry-level person.
3) outsourcing is becoming more expensive because wages have been stagnant in the US. That's right, we're going down as the Third World goes up.
4) $40k salary is about the median for a single person in the US, so it IS the middle-class wage. That should be sobering if you think it is hard to live on that much, because 35% of workers live below $35k per year even working full-time.
5) Try "commitment negotiating" - if you perform at a designated level you get a bonus or auto raise of 10%, then you can quote a low salary and get hired then prove how valuable your experience really is.

[quote=mrsengle;1268899]I thought the article was a little over the top, especially where the tech/IT sector is concerned. I spent several months doing some research on this last year when my husband was looking for a job, and frankly I don't understand how the 'qualified engineers, IT professionals, and other professionals will never have the opportunity to work in the professions for which they have been trained' argument holds much water. There are TONS of jobs out there in these professions. The biggest limiting factor that I could see is that these jobs tend to be dense in some cities, and virtually non-existent in others.

People have commented about MS handing out H-1B visas like candy, but has anyone looked at their employment opportunities? They have positions from new graduates on up - plenty of them. My husband was offered a contract job there - including a sign-on bonus and moving expenses re-imbursed. He decided he didn't want to work there, as he found a job in town and we didn't want to deal with the hassle of selling the house and moving. Still, gotta give MS some props for throwing some pretty nice incentives to get an American worker over there.

During my research, I noticed that during the summer/fall months the jobs weren't as plentiful for senior level engineers, but entry and junior level positions weren't lacking. Starting in January, there were more positions available for higher salary employees.

On top of all that, the unemployment rate (nationally) is ~4.5%. We're booked. Not every graduate wants to be an engineer/IT professional, and not every engineer /IT professional wants to work for MS, HP, IBM, or relocate. But there is a demand, and if someone would take the time to look at Monster, Dice, CareerBuilder, etc., they would see the numbers.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:01 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
Why would some foreigner take a professional position for lower wages than an american?

Why these H1B visa people take lower wages? Do they not wanna make money?

I understand the unskilled laborers, but the techs, and engineers, and other business service people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment