U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,978,896 times

Advertisements

For most of the jobs to date which I have - at times have asked and received small payrises - but never a big one.

However I am starting to think - why not just after 6 months(of working hard of course) come right out and say you want a payrise.

Seekout real feedback ? instead of "yeah your doing an decent job" - surely if an employer turns down your payrise request then he has to give you some meaningful feedback. Keep making demands of them, and they will be forced to give you decent feedback or give you further opportunities.

Come right and say you find the current job boring - and will need to have your role developed or you will start looking for another job.

I think many people have a strategy of avoiding real feedback, and not getting payrises, promotions - and are just happy to get by because it does not create any bad feeling between then and the employers.

I am starting to think Employers actually respect this type of approach more because it allows honest debate from both sides, rather than just hiding in the background.

Of course I could be wrong - and this could be just a quick way to getting fired!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 02:40 PM

19,914 posts, read 17,655,256 times
If the company is marginally successful, and you are a good worker, they will likely give you a reasonable raise based on your worth. If one of those is not true, you will get nothing more than the typical low raise. Those that do not ask will not get the raise though, because the company can get away with not giving it out. They are not in the business of taking care of their employees, only keeping them around for as little investment as possible.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:51 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,978,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If the company is marginally successful, and you are a good worker, they will likely give you a reasonable raise based on your worth. If one of those is not true, you will get nothing more than the typical low raise. Those that do not ask will not get the raise though, because the company can get away with not giving it out. They are not in the business of taking care of their employees, only keeping them around for as little investment as possible.
Yes - but asking for a payrise and getting meaningful feedback on the reason why they will or will not give the payrise will give you decent feedback and a chance to improve yourself.

How often do we have bosses who effectively ignore you - and then at review time come out with vague and sketchy language like "be more proactive", or improve the quality of your work, or be more socialable with colleagues etc.

My point this is generic, vague feedback that is not helpful - you need things like - well you worked on project x, you did reasonable job, but I was looking more information regarding

We need specifics and not management textbook rubbish.

So often we let managers away with not doing their jobs fully.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,658,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
For most of the jobs to date which I have - at times have asked and received small payrises - but never a big one.

However I am starting to think - why not just after 6 months(of working hard of course) come right out and say you want a payrise.

Seekout real feedback ? instead of "yeah your doing an decent job" - surely if an employer turns down your payrise request then he has to give you some meaningful feedback. Keep making demands of them, and they will be forced to give you decent feedback or give you further opportunities.

Come right and say you find the current job boring - and will need to have your role developed or you will start looking for another job.

I think many people have a strategy of avoiding real feedback, and not getting payrises, promotions - and are just happy to get by because it does not create any bad feeling between then and the employers.

I am starting to think Employers actually respect this type of approach more because it allows honest debate from both sides, rather than just hiding in the background.

Of course I could be wrong - and this could be just a quick way to getting fired!!!

I would turn you down if you came to me and asked for a pay raise and said it was because you've been working real hard for the past six months.

You better be prepared to show me how you improved production, cut company cost and made me more money before even thinking of asking for a raise.

And if you come right out and said that you will look for a new job if I didn't give you what you want I would hand you your pay and send you on your way.

I need problem solvers not problem makers. So show me that you can solve problems and make me money and you will get your raise. Create a problem by saying you will look for a new job and I will get rid of the problem by getting rid of you.

busta

Old 08-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
They are not in the business of taking care of their employees, only keeping them around for as little investment as possible.

BS I run several companies and I seek and recruit only the best and pay my employees well above the standard pay for the work they do. I also treat them well and respect them and because of this I get great workers who will do anything I ask.

A new guy I hired three weeks ago came up to me this past Friday and told me he likes working for me. I asked him why and he said that everyone else he's worked for only wanted production and that I also wanted production but I go out of my way to make my men work safe.

He told me that I always stop him when he's doing something that is not safe and show him how to do it the right way.

I told him that we work in a dangerous business and I want to send him home to his wife and kids at the end of the day healthy. I explained to him that 25 years back I had a man die in my arms after falling five floors and that I never wanted to have to call a mans wife and kids again telling them that there husband and dad is not coming home.

Some company owners do care about employees, you lust have to find them.

busta

Old 08-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Yes - How often do we have bosses who effectively ignore you - and then at review time come out with vague and sketchy language like "be more proactive", or improve the quality of your work, or be more socialable with colleagues etc.

We need specifics and not management textbook rubbish.

So often we let managers away with not doing their jobs fully.
As business owner I hate companies who have an review time. This just allows a company to only give raises once or twice a year. This is BS. If an employee is making you money then pay him or her what they are worth.

The best advice I can offer you is to have the answers ready for your employer before asking for a raise.

If you know that they will tell you that you should be more productive, improve the quality of your work, etc. then show them that you already do that.

And acting more sociably with your colleagues is a cop out on your managers part. He should know how to put like minded people together in the workforce.

busta

Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM

4,805 posts, read 21,720,842 times
Typically, raises are a formula. The year's profit, divided up proportionally according to each worker's contribution to that profit. During annual reviews, you can ask for a bigger raise and they will consider it because they have those formulas and numbers prepared and can calculate what impact your request will have on the company and everyone. If you ask at another time in the year, there's no way for management to evaluate the request. They'd have to make the decision in a vacuum.

The only way I would ever agree to such a request is if the request was for a raise far lower than what I typically offer at year's end (meaning that I would not be concerned that it would impact the reward other workers have earned). And in such circumstances, I would only meet the request as an advance on the annual raise. In other words, they would not be eligible for another raise for a year and a half (otherwise, said employee would be rewarded twice as often as everyone else, and that would not be fair). They would still have to demonstrate what they have contributed and accomplished. Merely claiming they are a hard worker would not be enough. Hard work is the minimum expectation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment