Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 PM

845 posts, read 1,343,975 times

Advertisements

I went for an interview a few weeks ago. I think it went pretty good. Of course there are going to be some areas I wish I would of said something different, but for the most part it went well.

Anyways, it's been a few weeks so I decided to call them today to see what the outcome was. Their answer was, "We need someone with a little more experience with this program (CAD)."

So, this was my third time getting this answer. I've worked with a company for about 4-5 years in Catia v5. Which the company I was interested in was looking for a detailer in Pro-E. There is little difference between the programs.

It's really frustrating. It just seems like I'll never get a job in the same career I was in. Should I just give up? Where should I go now, sense I can't get a job in the same job field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,227,534 times
Why not put together an electronic portfolio highlighting your work and knowledge base with the versions of CAD that you know. You could have this online with a reference from your resume. You could offer to bring in a disk or powerpoint presentation that shows what you can do.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM

9,613 posts, read 21,168,035 times
Pretty much everyone is going to Pro-E. I realize there's little difference, but I'd see if there's a "brush-up" course on Pro-E available either online or through a community college that you could take and put on your resume to help your chances.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,125,851 times
Never give up - Don't be a quiter - There is a job for you out there someplace - It's an employers market and they know it -

Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,473,961 times
If the only thing preventing you from getting a job is because you need more experience in CAD design, I think the logical answer would be to take a CAD course wherever it's offered, which would help you gain the knowledge you're lacking.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 AM

845 posts, read 1,343,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
If the only thing preventing you from getting a job is because you need more experience in CAD design, I think the logical answer would be to take a CAD course wherever it's offered, which would help you gain the knowledge you're lacking.
You're right; however, I don't have the money to be taking any CAD classes. They usually range from $500-$2000, some are even more than that. I was taking a CAD class in college but they only taught Auto Cad. The only other way to take classes is to really sell yourself to company to have them send you to a CAD training class, and sometimes those can be costly, too (note: that's why I said "sell yourself").

I was able to get Catia v5 training sense my mom worked with a company that offered it. She had to do some talking to get me in, but I took it two different times. I was also working with someone for about six to eight months in Catia before I was offered a contract with an automotive company. I also did take Pro-E and Unigraphics classes, but nothing came from it.

I was just more down not given a chance to work for this company, there are tons more jobs hiring for a design engineer where I used to live. I really want to move back down; however, I'm stuck. I live with my dad now, after both of us lost our jobs. For a while I was getting paid unemployment, but I needed to find a job soon. I just didn't like sitting at home doing nothing. Maybe it's just me and label myself uneducated to find anything other than a design engineer job, because trying to find a better restaurant or other job that will offer 40 hours a week seems hard. He doesn't want me to leave because he'll lose his house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment