Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: u will most likely never love your job or even like it, its the way it is
Agree 36 47.37%
Disagree 40 52.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 PM

129 posts, read 530,314 times

Advertisements

I made a post a little while ago about disliking my job. I stated that I will be quitting because I hate the job I have. Someone responded with this exact quote "u will most likely never love your job or even like it, its the way it is". It is this type of thinking that I can not accept as a young person searching for a career. My question is, do you personally find this to be a true statement?

Please vote and post your reasoning.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
I voted "disagree" because I am currently working in a job that I enjoy. It really depends upon the person and what motivates them in the world of work. Those who are driven by money and security tends to derive less pleasure from a job versus those who actively pursue their dream profession. My job is far from being stress-free but I enjoy the satisfaction that comes when I've truly helped someone.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
A lot of it just depends on the person.

Some people will never like any job. They'll find something about which to complain every day that they're there. They wont do anything to change the situation because disliking/complaining is their way of life.

Other people will find/make opportunities and reasons to like their jobs, wherever they are.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Very few people have the opportunity to do work they love. They are a minority by far.

I would love to be a billionaire rock star..... Chances are there are very few openings. Bummer. I guess I will have to be disappointed. But the bills still have to be paid. Now if my lifelong ambition was to be a dishwasher, reality would be much more in line with what's available and that's probably doable.

Why do people have such a hard time with the concept that work is not your life? It funds your life. You do what you have to do to make a living.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:35 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Very few people have the opportunity to do work they love. They are a minority by far.

I would love to be a billionaire rock star..... Chances are there are very few openings. Bummer. I guess I will have to be disappointed. But the bills still have to be paid. Now if my lifelong ambition was to be a dishwasher, reality would be much more in line with what's available and that's probably doable.

Why do people have such a hard time with the concept that work is not your life? It funds your life. You do what you have to do to make a living.
Work is definitely not my life but it constitutes a significant portion of my time on earth so I might as well do something I am passionate about. Not everyone can or will work their dream jobs but those who are ambitious enough to reach out and TRY to make their dreams happen are those that are more likely to find work that they love versus those who see their dreams as simply unattainable and settle for mediocre. That's just my belief.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
I've liked certain things about jobs, the people, and when I've had jobs where I was pretty good at what I did I enjoyed the routine of coming in and getting things done, but on the whole, I don't really find pleasure in work, even though I'm a pretty hard worker when I have clear direction and goals to achieve.

In the end, I just view work as something that allows me to do the stuff that really matters in my life outside of work.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
I think sticking with a job you didn't love would be one of the biggest mistakes a person could make. I can't imagine staying with a job I didn't love. I want to be paid to do what I love. I don't know how I could stand it if my job felt like 'work'.

If you work 40 hours/week right now and have a job you don't love, spend 15 hours/week job hunting until you find something you like. It is simply a shame to not look forward to going to work every day.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
I agree. I truly despise my job, profession and the company I work for. However I need a paycheck. Therefore I live below my means and save ~30-50% of my take home and prepare for a career change.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
This is a lot about mentality.

I work a job which is OK for me. I personally think the duties are a bit rote and elementary.

But another guy I worked with loved the job, absolutely loved it.

I have had jobs that are somewhat better. There are a lot of factors that go into liking a job: pay, co-workers, boss, duties, hours, etc.

I have had a job that was pretty easy and I really liked the people, the hours were awesome, and the pay was pretty decent for the time.

Ultimately, I quit that job because it wasn't challenging enough.

You see ... it's hard to find the perfect job.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Also.

I must say, if you really LOVE your job, that means you would do what you do outside of work in your own spare time.

In other words, if you are a civil engineer and you love what you do, you'd be reading civil engineering news and doing structural problem solving in your spare time.

If you were an architect, you'd be doing sketches of designs in your spare time.

Etc, etc.

I'd say 95% + of people do not have this going on.

But if want to be one of those 5%, think about what you do in your spare time, and find a way to make a living off it. Been done before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment