Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM

861 posts, read 1,124,156 times

Advertisements

Besides, doctors, nurses and dentists? I want to obtain a pharm.D but all the pharmacists I talk to tell me how they don't care for their job and are trying to purse another career? Do you know any pharmacists? Do they enjoy what they do? What are some other careers in the medical field that don't involve dealing with blood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM

165 posts, read 323,007 times
There are plenty of decent paying jobs in the healthcare field,

Nursing
Occupational Therapy/Occupational Therapy Assistant
Physical Therapy/Physical Therapy Assistant
Speech Language Pathology
Respiratory Therapist
Cardiac Ultrasonographer
X-Ray Technician
Nuclear Medical Technologist

Most of these will put you at least entry level $40K, with the except of OT and PT, which requires graduate work and you put you @ least at entry level $60K

I'm in grad school now for my MOT.... I got tired of these crappy jobs that work you to death for paltry wages...

Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
Besides, doctors, nurses and dentists? I want to obtain a pharm.D but all the pharmacists I talk to tell me how they don't care for their job and are trying to purse another career? Do you know any pharmacists? Do they enjoy what they do? What are some other careers in the medical field that don't involve dealing with blood?
Optometry. It pays probably the same as pharmacy although jobs will probably be harder to find.

In terms of not caring for their job, you'll find lots of professionals in lots of fields find their jobs tedious and boring.

Pharmacists get compensated for this by making a lot.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:31 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Clinical research either for a pharma company or a pharma CRO.

I know a number of PharmD's who work as Medical Science Liasons for pharma companies as well.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
The VA also hires Pharm.D. folks to review prescribing for inpatients.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Respiratory therapy is a horrible job... that said, it pays well and requires little education or brains. Pharmacy is certainly tedious and boring (my dad is one, he used the money they make to retire at age 50 and pursue his passion of photography). My mom is a CLS (Clinical Lab Scientist). They do deal with blood and nasty stuff, but it comes to them in vials. I considered physical therapy as it's something you get to see people recovering rather than just short periods except for the ones lingering on in misery. They do wound care, however.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Audiology, that is a fat job now. Blind Rehabilitation, all those baby boomers..with their macular degeneration. Speech path, and ironically, there are alot of really good paying jobs for recreational therapists, in those retirement homes. And hospitals.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM

861 posts, read 1,124,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Respiratory therapy is a horrible job... that said, it pays well and requires little education or brains. Pharmacy is certainly tedious and boring (my dad is one, he used the money they make to retire at age 50 and pursue his passion of photography). My mom is a CLS (Clinical Lab Scientist). They do deal with blood and nasty stuff, but it comes to them in vials. I considered physical therapy as it's something you get to see people recovering rather than just short periods except for the ones lingering on in misery. They do wound care, however.
Was your dad a retail pharmacist?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
He did research for a few years before I was born... but that was on the academic side and apparently there wasn't any money in it. When I was a kid he also took a few years off and worked as a sales rep for a pharmacy computer system vendor. I think that was too much travelling more than anything else.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:25 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
Was your dad a retail pharmacist?
I have a good friend who is a retail pharmacist.

Think 80K to start, and not much more than that to end. Retail pharmacists apparently don't get many raises (aside from yearly inflation) because they perform the same functions from when they start to the day they end.

However, that is a phenomenal salary to start with. You're pretty much going to be firmly upper middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment