Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 PM

853 posts, read 4,037,365 times

Advertisements

One of my co-workers is asking me and our other co-worker if we would like to pitch in to buy nice flowers and a Starbucks gift card for our boss's birthday.

I would really rather not pitch in. First, it just seems strange to give presents to a boss and I am not sure it is the norm at this company (have been working here a year and have not seen more than an occasional cake). But also, with such a small department, I would have to pitch in at least $10 if not $25, and I really don't want to do that for each birthday.

We recently re-organized, so this co-worker is a new co-worker (and so far seems difficult and bossy to work with). In my old department, we did not do anything for birthdays, and I have only been asked to contribute to a baby shower present and a wedding shower present so far (and those were less pressure because everyone was asked to pitch in, and yes, I did pitch in).

Is buying the boss a present the norm? Would you pitch in even if you did not want to? If so, how much would you pitch in, and if not, how would you say no? Other thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
The only way to deal with this is to talk to this coworker and the other one and pretty much say what you've said here. That you've been working with the company for a year, it's not been the custom to buy birthday gifts for the boss or anyone else and you don't feel comfortable doing so. BUT, a birthday card would be a nice gesture and you'd be happy to go along with that. See what they say and good luck!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I would not want my employees to buy me anything for my birthday. Wishing me a happy birthday is more than enough.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I would not want my employees to buy me anything for my birthday. Wishing me a happy birthday is more than enough.
I feel like my boss would not want her employees to buy her anything either. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The only way to deal with this is to talk to this coworker and the other one and pretty much say what you've said here. That you've been working with the company for a year, it's not been the custom to buy birthday gifts for the boss or anyone else and you don't feel comfortable doing so. BUT, a birthday card would be a nice gesture and you'd be happy to go along with that. See what they say and good luck!
Good advice! I will try to follow it, although my co-worker is very demanding, so it will be tricky to be that direct (and my other co-worker goes along with most things with a smile on her face, even if she doesn't to).

Old 08-13-2011, 09:02 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
I agree with SST Resident's advice.

I do think it's brown nosing when employees give a Birthday gift to their employers. Especially when they weren't invited to a private Birthday party outside of work with their family. This new co-worker knows if it's not normally done with this employer then this employer will likely know or somehow find out he/she is now receiving a Birthday gift from the office because of this new co-worker. It's indirectly brown nosing.

A Christmas or Hanukkah gift I could see with both employers and employees giving to each other.
Where I use to work we all chipped in and bought a nice gift for our employer and one for our immediate supervisor. We also received a gift of being taken out to dinner, not too expensive, by our employer and either individual gifts or catered food in the office, again not too expensive, from our immediate supervisor.

I notice that usually when it's a large office the employer will have ordered fancy cookies or cake and cookies, edible fruit arrangements as an office gift.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
I agree with SST Resident's advice.

I do think it's brown nosing when employees give a Birthday gift to their employers. Especially when they weren't invited to a private Birthday party outside of work with their family. This new co-worker knows if it's not normally done with this employer then this employer will likely know or somehow find out he/she is now receiving a Birthday gift from the office because of this new co-worker. It's indirectly brown nosing.

A Christmas or Hanukkah gift I could see with both employers and employees giving to each other.
Where I use to work we all chipped in and bought a nice gift for our employer and one for our immediate supervisor. We also received a gift of being taken out to dinner, not too expensive, by our employer and either individual gifts or catered food in the office, again not too expensive, from our immediate supervisor.

I notice that usually when it's a large office the employer will have ordered fancy cookies or cake and cookies, edible fruit arrangements as an office gift.
This co-worker is the brown nosing type for sure! She acts completely different in front of the boss than she does when the boss is not around.

Just to clarify, she is not new to the company, in fact she's been there longer than most. However, we were all in different departments before this new one, and she hated her last department and is happy to have this boss and job.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
No, I don't buy bosses gifts. One year I gave my boss a book for Christmas, "How to work with A$$h@le's"...he thought it was pretty funny. It was a bonding moment, just sort of a gag gift.

Last edited by jasper12; 08-13-2011 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-13-2011, 09:33 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Cut flowers from your home garden, veggies from your home garden or homemade anything.... that's the full extent I would go to as far as gifting a boss.....

Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times
I would never give my boss a birthday gift, but then again he won't tell when his birthday is (I know because I was walking out of his office one day and another secretary walked in and said Happy Birthday).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment