Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,888,635 times

Advertisements

I currently have a retail job right now. I am looking to get a higher paying job for the future but there isn't anyone hiring at the moment. I can't last in the future with the money that I am making now in retail. Hopefully the economy gets better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 AM

12,335 posts, read 17,200,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I currently have a retail job right now. I am looking to get a higher paying job for the future but there isn't anyone hiring at the moment. I can't last in the future with the money that I am making now in retail. Hopefully the economy gets better soon.
It is rough. Less opportunities, more competition. It's an employers market now.
However, all you need is to snag that one opportunity. I know a few folks that have gone on to better employment. And being currently employed gives you an advantage over those out of work. My advice-Network, and have a unique strong resume that showcases your skills and accomplishments as opposed to the usual basic descriptions. Most do the opposite.

Keep at it, and all the best. You just need that one shot.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 PM

29,958 posts, read 25,078,766 times
Quote:
Well talk about stating the obvious

I think what we're seeing is a permanent shift in this country, and it's very painful right now. Businesses as a whole have switched over to skeleton crews because they cannot gauge this market effectively. Once we've readjusted, jobs will come back, but they won't be paying what they used to. That's my prediction anyways, and I'm fairly confident our better days will involve many more reasonable wage jobs, and less middle class paying jobs for nothing special. People can whine and cry all they want, it won't change a thing.

From what I have seen in the past 3 years, the people doing decent, or even well are the ones with select skills that are hard to find, and can't be done elsewhere. Employers are between a rock and a hard place when trying to find these small pools of workers, and they have no choice but to either pay up, or try to do without. In many cases, doing without is simply not an option. At my job, if I can't fix a machine and have it cranking out work, I must call a service tech for a fee of about $150 an hour. Well, the business looses money by having a machine sit idle, so we have no choice. I'm sure that service tech is doing decent even these days.

Talk to people, see what they do for a living, find out who is really doing well these days. That's my advice. Retail is not it, and it never was. All those business do is skim off the top for tiny profits. It's one of the lowest paying sectors in this country, and sadly enough, it's where a huge chunk of our jobs are right now. They create nothing, only facilitate the purchase of things produced elsewhere. Not a business I would want to be in.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,256,878 times
Do you actually possess any skills to get a higher paying job? I don't mean that to be rude, just wondering what your background is.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do you actually possess any skills to get a higher paying job? I don't mean that to be rude, just wondering what your background is.
I am a CNC machinist, and feel I am paid very fairly. It took years of hard work to accumulate the skills necessary to function efficiently in this role. For any young person looking to enter this kind of work today... It will take years of hard work at considerably less than what I made when I started. None the less, I don't see this type of work ever leaving the country entirely, and very few intelligent people seem to want to do the work anymore. As such, opportunities should continue to be available for those who pay their dues to the trade.

Question for you... What do you consider higher paying? To me, 50K or 60K is plenty enough to live comfortably, but with the way I hear some people talk on this forum, higher paying means 6 figures...

Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,256,878 times
I meant that comment for the OP.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I meant that comment for the OP.
Sorry. The OP stated they work in retail. I would assume not.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:44 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,981,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I am a CNC machinist, and feel I am paid very fairly. It took years of hard work to accumulate the skills necessary to function efficiently in this role. For any young person looking to enter this kind of work today... It will take years of hard work at considerably less than what I made when I started. None the less, I don't see this type of work ever leaving the country entirely, and very few intelligent people seem to want to do the work anymore. As such, opportunities should continue to be available for those who pay their dues to the trade.

Question for you... What do you consider higher paying? To me, 50K or 60K is plenty enough to live comfortably, but with the way I hear some people talk on this forum, higher paying means 6 figures...
Depends on location. In New York, DC or LA where the lowest rent is $2000 six figures may be the minimum if you have a family. On the other hand in Detroit, where you can buy a house for $10K, $30K may be good money.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,646,996 times
Quote:
We have entered in to a new kind of economy, caught a lot of workers off-guard and unprepared to make a living anymore. Not to be negative about the future, but high unemployment is here to stay. Too many higher paying jobs went overseas, not coming back. Also lower pay foreign workers on government visa, replacing higher pay domestics workers.
So, you either have to go to school and get trained into a new career, or work 2, or 3 low paying jobs. Just the way this new economy runs.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:44 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,726,513 times
Quote:
What do you want to do? Once you have answered that question - do what you need to do to move toward that goal.

Doing nothing other than just waiting for "the economy to get better" will not move you in that direction. You need to be more proactive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment