Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,744 times

Advertisements

OK So i have accepted a great job offer which I am really excited about.

So.. last week I handed my resignation to my current employer and their reaction was not good at all (at least in my eyes). I feel like they resent the fact that they hired me 1 year ago and I shouldn't leave so early (nobody said this, just my own assumption). Or maybe that's not the case and I don't know what's going on. But in general everybody has been very cold and indifferent and downplaying the new job/position/company I am going to (which is an AWESOME job by the way).

On one side I'm glad they are not jumping up and down with joy about my departure LOL, but on the other hand, it's kinda strange to stay here for the two weeks notice in this awkward environment. (they demanded I stayed here for the full two weeks so we can perform the knowledge transfer, which I am perfectly fine with)

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:14 AM

786 posts, read 1,176,266 times
Gotta get tough, kid, and don't let trivial crap like this bother you. Just go into work for the next two weeks, keep your mouf shut, do you job, collect your check, and move on. Liking it (or them) is optional.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Not your problem. If you haven't done anything wrong, gave them appropriate notice before leaving, who cares? It's not like you will spend time with these people after you switch jobs. I personally find it hard to expect any boss to be thrilled that a good employee is leaving for a different company.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
Just keep looking ahead pal. It will be tiring and at times mentally exhausting but keep smiling as you will come to understand soon enough why you decided to leave in the first place.
You are not responsible for anyone else's behavior, Hang in there.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
I understand where they are coming from. If they had known you were going to be job hunting this soon, they would never have hired you. It's a pain to have to go through the interviewing/hiring process. They just can't go pull in someone off the sidewalk. The usual feeling is that they hired someone that wasn't exactly honest about their intentions to be a good loyal employee.

You are lucky that your job requires that you break in a new employee. A good many places would have just written up your two weeks severance paycheck and said good by.

So, try to understand where they are coming from. It may be unpleasant, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:23 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I understand where they are coming from. If they had known you were going to be job hunting this soon, they would never have hired you. It's a pain to have to go through the interviewing/hiring process. They just can't go pull in someone off the sidewalk. The usual feeling is that they hired someone that wasn't exactly honest about their intentions to be a good loyal employee.

You are lucky that your job requires that you break in a new employee. A good many places would have just written up your two weeks severance paycheck and said good by.

So, try to understand where they are coming from. It may be unpleasant, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.
Mmm not sure if I agree or understand what you said. As far as "breaking in a new employee" I am not sure why you consider me "lucky" for doing that. I'd be just fine if they had given me the two weeks severance paycheck and let me go. Which is not really "severance paycheck" since I am quitting, not being laid off. It's "paycheck". But I have no problems training someone on the team so they know how to continue working with what I was doing.

As far as "employee loyalty", I don't really think it exists, just like the "company loyalty" is long gone. Every one is entitled to change jobs, it's employment at will. I talked to them last year that I would like to take more responsibilities and get a higher position in the company (which I am qualified to) but their offer is that I would take all that responsibility and higher level work outside the regular 40 hours a week work with no extra pay, which I think most people would find unacceptable.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:35 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times
The chances of getting a good reference from your current employer is not good. I sure hope the new job is going to work out or your in trouble.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post

(they demanded I stayed here for the full two weeks so we can perform the knowledge transfer, which I am perfectly fine with)

sorry, I understood this to be sort of a training period for another employee. It's sort of insurance that you aren't just going to walk out and leave them with a hole that others will have to fill.

I agree, don't ever use this company for a reference. They are within their rights to object to what you have done

Old 08-17-2007, 09:25 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The chances of getting a good reference from your current employer is not good. I sure hope the new job is going to work out or your in trouble.
The unfortunately truth... it is illegal for them to badmouth you, especially if you leave on good terms, but that doesn't stop it from happening. Hopefully this new job works out for ya, because you otherwise create a history of 'job hopping' - and that will kick your butt for a long time.

Spend the rest of your time with a warm, smiling face, be courteous and respectful, and kill 'em with kindness. I do understand their position; an employer hires for long term, and you didn't show that. However, I also respect your position; taking a better job for your career in order to pursue better experience, benefits, or whatever. Been there, done that... and it back fired more than you'd ever want to imagine in my case. I had 3 different occasions that I moved on to what would have been better employment for career advancement, leaving a position of 1-2 years worth of service. The new job never panned out; 1. laid off, 2. laid off, and 3. resigned due to a screwed up situation in the office. Now I have relocated and have been actively pursuing a job (any job I'm qualified for) and have to explain my reasoning for leaving every single employer. It has been a thorn in my side and has set me back more than if I had given the original employers more longevity probably.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
The unfortunately truth... it is illegal for them to badmouth you, especially if you leave on good terms, but that doesn't stop it from happening. Hopefully this new job works out for ya, because you otherwise create a history of 'job hopping' - and that will kick your butt for a long time.

Spend the rest of your time with a warm, smiling face, be courteous and respectful, and kill 'em with kindness. I do understand their position; an employer hires for long term, and you didn't show that. However, I also respect your position; taking a better job for your career in order to pursue better experience, benefits, or whatever. Been there, done that... and it back fired more than you'd ever want to imagine in my case. I had 3 different occasions that I moved on to what would have been better employment for career advancement, leaving a position of 1-2 years worth of service. The new job never panned out; 1. laid off, 2. laid off, and 3. resigned due to a screwed up situation in the office. Now I have relocated and have been actively pursuing a job (any job I'm qualified for) and have to explain my reasoning for leaving every single employer. It has been a thorn in my side and has set me back more than if I had given the original employers more longevity probably.

Best of luck to you!
not to change the subject but i've been laid off several times myself (work in marketing - usually the first to go when company shows signs of trouble). for me when i interview i make it a point to explain each lay off (company downsized, start up (need i say more) and sadly result of 9/11 (worked for a custom publishing company who's biggest clients were airlines).

i also try to make light of my past lay offs and say something (if i feel it's an appropriate response - every situation is different) like i'm not a company jinx i don't single handedly bring companies down, i promise (or something like that to help eliminiate any bad vibes to being laid off 3 times). It usually works because it helps draw their attention away from the fact that the last three companies I've worked for have, well pretty much, gone belly up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment