U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: somewhere in the Midwest
625 posts, read 870,164 times
Reputation: 331

Advertisements

I found this link on the MSNBC website. I couldn't believe it, but sadly enough, that's the economy we now live in.

Red Tape - Lawyer turns topless dancer to pay the bills
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Tampa, Fl (SoHo/Hyde Park)
1,336 posts, read 4,706,654 times
Reputation: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
I found this link on the MSNBC website. I couldn't believe it, but sadly enough, that's the economy we now live in.

Red Tape - Lawyer turns topless dancer to pay the bills
this is the economy we have always lived in. Extremely attractive young women have always been able to make incredible amounts of money stripping. Many girls strip their way thru college then dont want to give up the insane money so continue to strip thru their 20s. If they r smart they realize that the money dries up quickly as they age and the stripping should become part time and the other career full time. the stripping dilema has been around for years but more prevailent today due to the amount of clubs out there
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM
 
2,282 posts, read 3,688,521 times
Reputation: 1669
Did I miss something, or did the author not include where this woman went to law school? I'd be interested in knowing what kind of program she graduated from. If it's one of those programs that are advertised on TV, I would not be surprised by this article. If she graduated from a Harvard, Yale, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Duke, Michigan or Stanford, I'd be greatly surprised.

I notice that a lot of articles like these are usually about people who went to (costly) for-profits with less that reputable programs. Is this one any different? And if not, is that really the best measurement for how our economy is doing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM
 
24,497 posts, read 38,519,751 times
Reputation: 12883
That's not as bad as it sounds. This indicates that there's a demand for 30-something dancers. The topless bar industry must be pretty healthy. Also, men seem to have excess funds to support these establishments.

It's not uncommon to leave the trade in which you have an education to join another one with better opportunities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 5,779,758 times
Reputation: 2022
I dont understand why men support strip clubs, i can see prostitution thriving but I dont see the appeal in just watching and then going home with blue balls to masterbate to some porn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 AM
 
24,497 posts, read 38,519,751 times
Reputation: 12883
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I dont understand why men support strip clubs, i can see prostitution thriving but I dont see the appeal in just watching and then going home with blue balls to masterbate to some porn.
Strip clubs are legal. Also, strip clubs are basically prostitution. Champagne room. And you can take strippers home for a fee as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 5,779,758 times
Reputation: 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Strip clubs are legal. Also, strip clubs are basically prostitution. Champagne room. And you can take strippers home for a fee as well.
LOL oh ok, you can see how much I know about them. I am guessing it is much more expensive to take a stripper home (plus the drink they require you to buy and cover charges) and the stripper would likely charge more than a straight up prostitute for an in/out call.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
 
11,127 posts, read 20,153,247 times
Reputation: 23072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Did I miss something, or did the author not include where this woman went to law school? I'd be interested in knowing what kind of program she graduated from. If it's one of those programs that are advertised on TV, I would not be surprised by this article. If she graduated from a Harvard, Yale, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Duke, Michigan or Stanford, I'd be greatly surprised.

I notice that a lot of articles like these are usually about people who went to (costly) for-profits with less that reputable programs. Is this one any different? And if not, is that really the best measurement for how our economy is doing?

The article states that she worked in the legal profession for nine years, but it doesn't state that she was employed as a lawyer. If she has a law degree that is not worth anything, you can't be surprised.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
 
1,378 posts, read 4,095,376 times
Reputation: 1745
They could at least have included better pictures than they did.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,452 posts, read 66,299,361 times
Reputation: 42310
I really have no sympathy for lawyers and wish more of them were out of work and more none-lawyers had jobs. I have noticed though, that former lawyers are applying for jobs at much less pay, and in fact a
local bankruptcy lawyer has just filed for bankruptcy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top