U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 12:09 PM

843 posts, read 1,251,190 times

Advertisements

So I've been going to school for CAD design. I have about 5 years experience with Catia V5 and have the same amount of knowledge in rubber and plastic injection molding and plastic trim. However, with this knowledge, I haven't been able to get a job in the same field. Sense I'm only proficient in one, maybe two, programs. Companies are not looking to hire me.

Now I'm looking at my other strengths. One of which is customer service. I want to be picky about this. I do NOT want anything in sales. To me, a sales rep. almost seems like another term for "lawyer". Let's leave out any restaurant work, as I'm already working in a restaurant.

I've been looking to volunteering, to test my skills, but I haven't seen much that would require much in any type of customer service oriented work.

Any ideas would be great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 11:58 AM

856 posts, read 1,882,360 times
Working in a restaurant is a form of customer service...when you apply to jobs make sure to mention that you are currently working in a customer driven environment.

Previous customer based positions I liked were working in a call center (you have to enunciate well and not be afraid to be recorded and played back in front of other reps)...now is a good time for that job bc companies beef up their centers for the holiday orders then lay off (not necessarily the newbie but the least performing rep). I also worked at a bus station (greyhound and commuter buses) and got to meet a lot of people. People travelling are happy so the time usually passed quickly and I had few complainers.

If you can find something that uses the SAP or Salesforce CRM platform those software suites are desirable right now and learning it at one job (even if the pay isn't great) can make it easier to get a higher paying CS job later.

Since you know tools you probably have a mechanical head...see if any car dealers near you are hiring service advisers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment