Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 04:12 PM

44 posts, read 34,480 times

Advertisements

How does one forestall jealousy?

OK, the situation is thus:

- our team is a marketing consultancy, and we have a firm in another city we're looking to assist. my other teammates are moving, but i am staying put. they have to travel another 5 miles or so, whilst i do not.
- i have been giving more responsibilities on the job, and i spend most of my time on these now. so staying put is a boon.

i get the suspicion that some co-workers will get envious. how is this forestalled, or managed/dealt with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 AM

103 posts, read 208,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leytonthom View Post

- our team is a marketing consultancy, and we have a firm in another city we're looking to assist. my other teammates are moving, but i am staying put. they have to travel another 5 miles or so, whilst i do not.
- i have been giving more responsibilities on the job, and i spend most of my time on these now. so staying put is a boon.

i get the suspicion that some co-workers will get envious. how is this forestalled, or managed/dealt with?
It is what the boss says it is. Keyword boss.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Please expand, I didn't understand the statement.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,896,470 times
The best way to manage the situation is to not presume you know what your coworkers think or feel about the situation--much less that they are envious of you.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
the best way to manage the situation is to not presume you know what your coworkers think or feel about the situation--much less that they are envious of you.
ok.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM

3,995 posts, read 5,010,800 times
I agree...it may be true that your coworkers will have negative feelings, but you can't control what they feel. Additionally, it's over something that you can't control. As the other guy said, if you're met with (whatever), tell them that the decision was made by your boss and that's that. You don't really owe them an explanation, but if you feel you have to...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 PM

18,033 posts, read 15,627,191 times
You only control your own work, your work quality, quantity and your own attitude. Be the professional you want and need to be and don't concern yourself with others' feelings, which you have no control over.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,325,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leytonthom View Post

5 miles isn't that far. Are you sure that they will be traveling an additional 5 miles? Could some of them live closer to the other firm? Would your co-workers trade you jobs? Maybe they see your additional responsibilities as something that they don't want to do. I bet that you will also find people that think you are getting the bad end of the stick. You are being forced to stay while they get to work at the other firm.

Their are so many ways to look at this. LOL

Old 10-11-2011, 12:21 PM

856 posts, read 2,013,963 times
Don't take this situation for what your emotions are and how you think you would feel if you were in their group.

I was in this situation previously (ironically it was also a marketing setting), I worked with a law firm that had a big merger, two marketing departments became one but never really did. There was constant imbalance of workload, jealousy, favoritism, and people leaving/being replaced at an exorbitant rate. Many people began showing the signs on stress and those who thought they were in a good spot realized they weren't after all. People were constantly defending their positions and their allies.

Keep an eye on how the teams develop and try to always find yourself in the winning group.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,119,806 times
Don't worry about things you can't control. Do your job and worry about important stuff.

(by the way I really don't understand the whole moving/5 miles/staying put thing - very confusing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment