Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 4,078 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about getting a degree in Social Work, ultimately a MSW. I did a lot of research on the degree and job requirements but it seems like everyone has their own opinion, and not real facts about the field. I would appreciate advice from anyone, but MOSTLY from someone who IS in the field or who WAS in the field,or from someone who KNOWS someone who is/has been in the field.

A little bit about me: I don't mind,in fact, I excel at working under pressure. I have a way of getting people to open up to me easily (I think that would be important in Social Work). I like the feeling of knowing that I made a positive impact/difference in someone's life. As for the salary/pay, I understand that this is a field you go into because you care, and not for the money. But realistically, money and job prospects are important in today's world.
Is 50K annually a reasonable/realistic expectation, with a MSW?
Is Social Work a good field to go into? If not, why?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Average pay is $45-60,000 so yes, $50k is right in the ballpark with experience. Typically the social worker has more work than they can handle, and it takes a lot of patience and a stomach for constantly dealing with the problems of other people. I haven't worked in the field, but am qualified, and have been interviewed a few times. Most recently in 2008 when fairly desperate, but with the low pay ($45k then) and long commute I decided to pass, and ended up doing better in another field. Sometimes, as a manager, I feel like part of my daily work is much like a social worker.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:53 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,633,000 times
The ones I personally know say it is mentally and physically exhausting, but they love the work that they do.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:09 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
It's not a field you go into for the money. You have to love the work, not just the paycheck.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:20 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
Social workers do good for others. To be a good one, you have to learn to keep the stress at bay and keep a positive outlook on life. I have worked with several in my career and admired them greatly.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
I'm not a social worker, but I am a substance abuse counselor and have looked into getting a social work degree in the past. The pay is kind of low for the amount of education and training required, in my opinion. The difficulty of the job depends on where you work. Dealing with children and families is probably one of the more difficult social work jobs. If you get to the point of being an LCSW (licensed clinical social worker), you may be able to open up an independent, psychotherapy practice depending on the state. You can also work for someone else doing more therapy than casework if that's your desire.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and...kers.htm#tab-5

Old 04-10-2016, 05:19 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Take a vow of poverty first. Then develop a very thick skin to avoid total despair. Avoid alcohol. It does not make anything better and can kill you.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:34 PM

171 posts, read 165,483 times
My dad is a social worker and it took him 10+ years to finally make a salary of over $30K, but for most of his career it's been $25-27K. Though, the only reason he even got up to $30K is because he's a supervisor of the place he works at. I have no idea about MSW's, because he has a BSW.

Now, considering all of the education it takes, plus training (with internships and training sessions you have to do), only to make a salary of $27Kish... Personally, I don't think it's a good field to go into considering how many jobs you can get that make more than that, that require associate degrees or no degree at all. If you want to help people, better to just volunteer in free time and have you actual job/career something for making money.

If you are super completely dead-set on being a social worker after my comments and the other posters ----My advice is, don't have kids as a social worker with that salary and those work conditions for you.

I know BSL or Salary.com will give numbers like $45Kish... But don't expect that. I don't know if the state matters much considering human service is notorious for having low paychecks for everything the workers have to go through, but I'm in Michigan.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:42 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,320 times
Salaries for social workers is VERY state specific. So do the research in the area you live to find out about salary possibilities. It's always going to be on the low end, and it is a stressful, sometimes depressing line of work. It's also amazingly rewarding. I don't have the degree, but the line of work I'm in, the services I provide to families I work with, is very much the same type of work. I can't put into words how amazing it is when I KNOW that I've made a significant positive contribution to someone's life. But it's sad when that is the result for 1 out of 10 families I connect with, and the other nine are still floundering.

Take a tour at the college you are interested in attending. Talk to the students, talk to the teachers, talk to the administration. Talk to social workers in your area. Do the research, this has to be work you are really called to do.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:22 AM

3 posts, read 2,172 times
yes, its good. i agree with L210. there are nice discussion about social.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment