U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 PM

185 posts, read 451,041 times

Advertisements

how can i get a job, or even apply (with a chance of success) for a job, in the USA ??.. i am currently living in the UK, working, and have a masters and i am seriously considering moving to the states, for good, given the opportunity. how difficult is it for a foreigner to get accepted ?? and what will make me stick out as the better candidate for the job ??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 PM

24,671 posts, read 65,036,349 times
Your question has already been asked and answered in the Legal Immigration forum where you've been given plenty of advice and direction to the USCIS website for details on what visas you may be eligible to pursue. As has been said, you cannot legally work in the US if you are not either a US Citizen or have legal working papers and nothing that anybody can tell you on this forum can change that. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 PM

i am aware that.. and according to USCIS, you would have to get a job offer before you can apply for a work visa which requires the employer to sponsor you... the question i'm asking here is WHERE i can look to find a job which i, as a foreigner, have a chance of getting accepted for a job relating to my degree??, how difficult it would for me to get accepted ? and what employers look for in foreign applicants to give them a chance of getting accepted.. please read the question.. cheers

Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 PM

19,059 posts, read 23,641,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
i am aware that.. and according to USCIS, you would have to get a job offer before you can apply for a work visa which requires the employer to sponsor you... the question i'm asking here is WHERE i can look to find a job which i, as a foreigner, have a chance of getting accepted for a job relating to my degree??, how difficult it would for me to get accepted ? and what employers look for in foreign applicants to give them a chance of getting accepted.. please read the question.. cheers
What's your background and field? We have a new hire that just arrived this week. He spent the last 7-8 years in the UK, tho he's originally from France. Ah, he's quite the hottie as well.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What's your background and field? We have a new hire that just arrived this week. He spent the last 7-8 years in the UK, tho he's originally from France. Ah, he's quite the hottie as well.
well, i have a masters in pharmaceutical science (2:1), and 1 years of experience in research and development, and i graduated last year.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 AM

24,671 posts, read 65,036,349 times
Quote:
My reading comprehension isn't faulty and I'm also pretty well up on what the USCIS requires.

I can google, "pharmaceutical sciences jobs" and immediately have a slew of sites to look at for job openings in the field all over the US and even broken down by state ... That would seem to me to be a pretty sensible first step to take. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:37 AM

19,059 posts, read 23,641,101 times
Quote:
well, i have a masters in pharmaceutical science (2:1), and 1 years of experience in research and development, and i graduated last year.
What's 2:1? I work in research at a big pharma. What have you been doing this past year? I'm pretty low on the totem pole, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but my sense is that you would have a difficult time getting sponsored with such little experience. Associate positions are difficult to come by as it is. I can't see how a company in today's climate would be willing to sponsor an individual they need to train, unfortunately. If you had expertise in a niche that is needed, it might be easier. But, you're not there yet. What's the job climate like for pharma in the UK? My co is international, but they've been pulling out of Europe in a number of countries. I'm not sure if that's due to the economy, costs, or productivity.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 AM

10,168 posts, read 15,585,552 times
Now is not a good time to be looking for a job with pharma. They have been the hardest hit by the recession and have led the nation as the number one industry for layoffs for several years in a row.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
My reading comprehension isn't faulty and I'm also pretty well up on what the USCIS requires.

I can google, "pharmaceutical sciences jobs" and immediately have a slew of sites to look at for job openings in the field all over the US and even broken down by state ... That would seem to me to be a pretty sensible first step to take. Good luck.
i have already looked through google. however, i dont think those vacancies were intended for foreigners. i really dont think its as easy as just googling, applying and being accepted. the price of being a sponsor of an immigrant is in the 4 figures, and i dont think employers will be up for the bother because, as USCIS states, they will need to prove. i want to know where i can find the 'immigrant-tolerant' employers are. and how to stick out against US-born applicants as the ideal candidate for a job in MY field. USCIS does not answer that. this question is in the 'work and employment' section, not 'legal immigration'. it has less to do with immigration itself, and more to do with the bit after you have understood what you are trying to suggest.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What's 2:1? I work in research at a big pharma. What have you been doing this past year? I'm pretty low on the totem pole, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but my sense is that you would have a difficult time getting sponsored with such little experience. Associate positions are difficult to come by as it is. I can't see how a company in today's climate would be willing to sponsor an individual they need to train, unfortunately. If you had expertise in a niche that is needed, it might be easier. But, you're not there yet. What's the job climate like for pharma in the UK? My co is international, but they've been pulling out of Europe in a number of countries. I'm not sure if that's due to the economy, costs, or productivity.
'

2:1 is the grading system used in UK universities. 1:1 is the highest, followed by 2:1, followed by 2:2 and then the last being a 'pass' which is the lowest (excluding the 'fail' lol). i finished my masters year (4th year) last year.. i got my 1 years of experience between my 2nd year and 3rd year of university (placement year). the job climate is not too bad, there are plenty of companies with vacancy for newly graduates like myself. however i want to use this degree (and year of experience) somewhere new, like the US to start a new chapter in my life (y)... you say if i had an expertise, and since you work as, pretty much what i want to work as, do you by an chance know which field is in demand and is likely to accept foreigners ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment