Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times

Advertisements

Older interns signal gloomy labor market

Older interns signal gloomy labor market | Reuters

Having Grandma and Grandpa work for free. Doesn't get much more pathetic than that, now does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
I'm so not surprised, for the last year I've been volunteering at the Red Cross and just recently have been patient sitting for a friend who's mother has late stage Alzheimer's, I owe her money so I've been doing it for free to pay her back and she let's me fudge on my applications that she's paying me $12.00 an hour, which she would be doing if I didn't owe her money.

If you are over 50 finding work is very difficult. It has taken me over 3 years just to get a part time job with no benefits and no guarenteed hours as a patient sitter. Last year I wasted my own money to take a phlebotomy course and get nationally certified, yet when I'd go for interviews they'd have what you'd call "peer group interviews" and they were decades younger than me, I'd try to engage in conversation but it was often obvious they wanted nothing to do with me even though I had experience. I'm just so glad I've finally got a job...any job, it won't start until the 18th and I've still got to pass the physical, drug screen, TB skin test, immunizations, criminal background check. At 60 I just hope I pass the physical.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM

28 posts, read 124,306 times
Working 40+ hours a week as an unpaid intern is unfair to any adult that is not currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program. Even then if you're working for a for-profit organization/company/state I look at the whole practice skeptically. You can't even pay someone minimum wage? SMH

Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHthePossibilities View Post
Working 40+ hours a week as an unpaid intern is unfair to any adult that is not currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program. Even then if you're working for a for-profit organization/company/state I look at the whole practice skeptically. You can't even pay someone minimum wage? SMH
It's unfair to the adult, it's unfair to the newbie who isn't getting valuable experience, and the worst part about it all is that who knows if the internship is going to turn into a paying gig. This is such a perversion the mind reels.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
It's unfair to the adult, it's unfair to the newbie who isn't getting valuable experience, and the worst part about it all is that who knows if the internship is going to turn into a paying gig. This is such a perversion the mind reels.
Well, it's better for the adult than sitting home not gaining experience. And maybe the adult had something that made them a better fit for the internship than the younger candidate. I'm not saying it's not unfortunate, but there are many unfair things going on these days, and not much we can do about it.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well, it's better for the adult than sitting home not gaining experience. And maybe the adult had something that made them a better fit for the internship than the younger candidate. I'm not saying it's not unfortunate, but there are many unfair things going on these days, and not much we can do about it.

I think that he/she meant that the unpaid internship situation is unfair to anyone who is in it, regardless of age.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I think that he/she meant that the unpaid internship situation is unfair to anyone who is in it, regardless of age.
Thanks for the correction. I tend to agree with this myself. At the same time, people pay money to go to college, these people are gaining experience at no cost to them. Even so, I would not subject myself to such a preposterous proposition. I'd rather be a wage slave than just a slave

Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Thanks for the correction. I tend to agree with this myself. At the same time, people pay money to go to college, these people are gaining experience at no cost to them. Even so, I would not subject myself to such a preposterous proposition. I'd rather be a wage slave than just a slave
Ditto. I took one unpaid internship while I was in school, because I wanted to have something on my resume besides work-study when I graduated. I could have gotten college credit for it, but didn't bother with the paperwork since I was well above the required number of credits by that point.

I think it's fine for an undergrad to take an internship for college credit, as long as it benefits them as much as it benefits the employer (i.e., not fetching coffee). Or if someone wants to fill a period of unemployment with an internship, the way people fill in time with volunteer work.

I don't judge anyone who would take an unpaid internship...I guess my problem is with the people who offer internships that are either free or ultra-cheap labor (I haven't kept up with the law since, but when I was an intern, minimum wage laws didn't apply!) in order to exploit workers who may not have any other choice.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
If I could pick up a skill that's valuable in Las Vegas, like slot machine repair by working for free, I would do it in a heartbeat!

As a matter of fact, I'm looking for a way to do this.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:53 AM

311 posts, read 844,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHthePossibilities View Post
It's hard for ANYONE...but I'm glad the issue is being addressed...

I'm young but as a poor college student I had to do full time internships to get the experience I needed...if not, I'd be flipping burgers after graduation...but I was doing school full-time AND working with no pay and trying to help support my mom/sister back home.....At one point, I was in a homeless shelter for one internship in NYC and believe me, it was pretty much the scariest experience of my life...but I needed the work experience..........while my other richer intern co-workers went to their studio apartments/rooms at the end of the night....

Believe me, I was pretty much done when they gave me outstanding recommendations at the end of my internship(which I do thank them for) but as a little note said I needed just a tad bit more "ambition" and I could conquer anything....SERIOUSLY???..Being HOmeless for a job isn't ambitious enough??

the whole practice should be ILLEGAL.....if someone is working for you, they should be paid "PERIOD"...I DON'T care how prestigious the internship is...and it frightens me the way some companies try to justify this....Not only do they miss out on a great workforce who might not be financially able to take on these positions but people just get fed up after awhile........Then these various companies get filled with spoiled rich people who have no concept of money to begin with, but had "connections" and could afford to live off someone else while doing these unpaid internships.........BOGGLES the mind......

If I ever start a company, I pledge to pay all of my interns at LEAST minimum wage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment