Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:17 AM

29,673 posts, read 34,190,182 times

Advertisements

A new survey of 20-something employees came out with some interesting findings: Survey: Facebook access beats cash for Gen Y - CBS News

Quote:

How important was the internet to respondents? 64 percent said they'd choose a connection over a car, while 40 percent valued the internet more than dating, listening to music and going out with friends. Half would rather loose their wallet or purse than their smartphone.

• One in three college students and young employees under the age of 30 said would prioritize social media freedom, device flexibility, and work mobility over salary in accepting a job offer.
  • 40 percent of college students and 45 percent of and young employees said they would accept a lower-paying job that had more flexibility with regard to device choice, social media access, and mobility than a higher-paying job with less flexibility.
  • 81 percent want to choose the device for their job - either receiving budgeted funds to buy a work device of their choice or bringing in a personal one in addition to company-issued devices.
I guess it begs the question, should these young employees be expected to conform to the existing workplace, or should employers change to fit the expectations of their new hires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:34 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,500,506 times
They need to conform to the existing workplace and get it through their entitled little heads that the world doesn't revolve around them.

I'm 28 and can't stand the mentality of most workers in my generation. Lazy, selfish slackers.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,050,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
They need to conform to the existing workplace and get it through their entitled little heads that the world doesn't revolve around them.

I'm 28 and can't stand the mentality of most workers in my generation. Lazy, selfish slackers.
But they are getting hired over 'older' people and they have many more options than say someone 20 years your senior who has very very limited options in terms of jobs & career if they find themselves without one. It seems to be much easier for them (gen Y) to get a job because they are perceived as being young hip & 'fun to be around'.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM

380 posts, read 793,706 times
Okay, I’m a 25 y/o female. I deactivated my FB account over a year ago. I rarely use my phone/text at work and I do not own a smart phone or anything with internet access. I do have an iPod touch which I listen to while I write but when I am at work I work. I do not answer texts I do not answer personal phone calls, I do not access my personal email and I do not use the internet outside of for work or during my lunch break.

I think most people my age are dependent on technology, they are not good communicators and do not have a ton of personable skills.

If employers refuse to comply to the snotty entitled Y generation, they will be forced to eventually get down to business in the work place. Employers should NOT feed the beast. It will only create an even more tech dependent, unsociable mass of drones.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,963,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post

It's funny you mention this, because all of the points listed above indicate that Gen-Y workers come at a discount given that an employer provides some very cheap and practical allowances in the workplace. Sounds more like a bargain than entitlement.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 11-10-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,971,174 times
I only need to use the internet on my breaks to access my email and check train status alerts. I like to keep my Facebook and CD posting separate from my job so I only log in at home. I have zero desire to use social networking while at work unless my job required it.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM

29,673 posts, read 34,190,182 times
I think one of the frightening things about the new technology and work mobility is that it seems like we're rapidly entering a 24/7 workplace. I saw a piece on the Early Show this morning about this survey saying that young workers aren't lazy; so they may not be able to make it to work on time, but they stay connected and are available long after the workday is done. I work a 8-5 office job that's not a life or death situation, and I don't want to be expected to answer work emails at midnight on a Saturday. I want to keep my work and my life separate, and it feels like for many in Gen Y, it all bleeds together.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:06 AM

380 posts, read 793,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think one of the frightening things about the new technology and work mobility is that it seems like we're rapidly entering a 24/7 workplace. I saw a piece on the Early Show this morning about this survey saying that young workers aren't lazy; so they may not be able to make it to work on time, but they stay connected and are available long after the workday is done. I work a 8-5 office job that's not a life or death situation, and I don't want to be expected to answer emails at midnight on a Saturday. I want to keep my work and my life separate, and it feels like for many in Gen Y, it all bleeds together.
I work an 8-5 but I am NEVER late. I have worked my fair share of 14-16 hr days, I do list my cell phone number in my email signature for people do get in contact with me anytime and I do respond to emails after hours and on weekends. This is in addition to the time I put in (tech free) during reg business hours.

I do love my job however and am always striving for advancement so I don’t mind.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM

977 posts, read 1,811,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think one of the frightening things about the new technology and work mobility is that it seems like we're rapidly entering a 24/7 workplace. I saw a piece on the Early Show this morning about this survey saying that young workers aren't lazy;
I agree. Younger gen is not lazy, more desirous of flexibility. Of course, as you note, there's quite a downside to that flexibility. Me, I don't list any number other than work number as I don't want anybody from work or clients contacting me outside of work hours.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:09 AM

52,345 posts, read 34,099,496 times
what is all this BS about 'device choice' and 'social media access'?

they're at work for pete's sake, can't they bear to be way from their beloved facebook for 8 freakin' hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment