Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,695,032 times

Advertisements

Just to make time pass, because its seems like I'm never going to be hired and I'm kind of doing nothing with my life. So I figured let me just go back to school and then I can have some purpose in life. I don't think school will help me get a job, but its not like it was happening anyway. Am I crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,261,845 times
I assume you already have a degree??

If it's not for something in particular and something you really want to do, then why put yourself in more debt? So you can not get hired and have more debt to pay off?

I'd try and keep getting hired. It's rough out there, but hopefully something will come along. School doesn't seem like a good option for you right now again because it doesn't seem like it's for good reason.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,695,032 times
yes i have a marketing degree and i dont have debt. i fear debt but i fear not having a purpose in life more ... i dont know

Old 11-15-2011, 10:33 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I assume you already have a degree??

If it's not for something in particular and something you really want to do, then why put yourself in more debt? So you can not get hired and have more debt to pay off?

I'd try and keep getting hired. It's rough out there, but hopefully something will come along. School doesn't seem like a good option for you right now again because it doesn't seem like it's for good reason.
I agree, plus it will still be seen as an employment gap. Going 'back to school' if you already have a degree is only worth it if your current employer is paying.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,925,107 times
You've got it backwards. You find a purpose and then you go to school to fulfill that purpose.

If you're looking for something to fill the time, sure go ahead--so long as you can get scholarships or grants and aren't accumulating debt you can't repay. But it's pretty unusual to be accepted to an academic program without any notion of why you want to be there, so I think you're going to have trouble finding acceptance let alone winning a scholarship and keeping it.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You've got it backwards. You find a purpose and then you go to school to fulfill that purpose.

If you're looking for something to fill the time, sure go ahead--so long as you can get scholarships or grants and aren't accumulating debt you can't repay. But it's pretty unusual to be accepted to an academic program without any notion of why you want to be there, so I think you're going to have trouble finding acceptance let alone winning a scholarship and keeping it.
Would we ever hear straight advice like that from either the Mainstream Media or Mainstream Economists who think the answer to employment or under employment problem is to 'go back to school'

Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
If you have a lot of luck, the economy will be better when you finish and you can find a job, but a second degree won't help unless they both contribute to the position you are applying for. More likely, you will have student loan debt and still not be able to find a job, because you will still be competing with people having a lot of experience. One possible help to the unemployment problem is retiring boomers, but now they are faced with working until at least age 70 so that could be another 10 years away. At this point you really need to get experience, whether paid or volunteer work.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,597,424 times
Do you at least get interviews?

By the way, why aren't you in school? That would be the first thing I do (signing up with school) if I get laid off.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,222,758 times
I wouldn't want to take on new debt either.... you need to be pro-active and find something . With
Marketing have you considered doing sales of any sort???

Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,717,340 times
The last thing you want to do, at this point, is take on more debt. There is ZERO guarantee that you'd find a job the moment you graduate. So, no guarantee of a job, but guaranteed debt? No thanks.

As far as having a 'purpose', if you aren't involved right now, I would maybe volunteer at the charity(ies) of your choice. Not only will it boast your spirits doing community service, but you may just make contacts that can lead to a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment