U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:11 PM

35 posts, read 106,122 times

Advertisements

I have a bachelor's degree in education and spent 5 years as a teacher. I decided to leave the field and pursue a career in non-profits, as I have experience with that through the school district I worked for. I have experience with community outreach, fundraising, supervising volunteers and being a buyer (within a budget).

I've taken my time and written very good cover letters, not just a form one, have a decent (at least) resume.

I know the original issue was that I was an out-of-towner, but now I'm in town and still nothing. I would call, but most of the job postings say to not call.

Any ideas?

I currently am working for a large grocery chain as a buyer and got a transfer to Seattle but they are only paying me $11 an hour and I'm going to be homeless unless I find a second job/a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,048,828 times
Where are you looking for job postings? The jobs you are applying to may not actually exist.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:23 PM

6,966 posts, read 21,561,252 times
A former school teacher and writes a post with a lot of "I's". God help those kids.

$11 an hr does not say much for a BA degree...but then again a pay scale is based on experience in the particular work field.

Not trying to be sarcastic here but reality is that a person gets paid for the knowledge in a field and NOT the degree a person has in their hand.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how hateful people are on forums. Guess you feel safe attacking people you don't know, eh?

I have 5 years of real world, non-profit experience. I was a varsity coach, and was in charge of organizing free physicals, sports festivals, recruiting volunteers, fundraising, mentoring and community outreach (kitchen on the street and the sort).

I ended up with the $11 an hour job because as a teacher, I had to take a 2nd job on the weekends, since teachers are not paid enough to survive. And I believe I was smart to take the transfer, as I will have income while looking for new employment.

And what, exactly, is the noun that you suppose I should use instead of "I", professor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
A former school teacher and writes a post with a lot of "I's". God help those kids.

$11 an hr does not say much for a BA degree...but then again a pay scale is based on experience in the particular work field.

Not trying to be sarcastic here but reality is that a person gets paid for the knowledge in a field and NOT the degree a person has in their hand.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:36 PM

I've used craigslist, nwjobs, jobing.com, and I've gone to many, many individual company websites and applied (University of Washington, Boys and Girls Club, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Where are you looking for job postings? The jobs you are applying to may not actually exist.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,034,164 times
Not sure when you applied, but it can take a couple months to get calls from some companies. Often they are swamped with higher priorities, and resumes/interviews gets can get placed low on their priority list. They get to it when they have the time.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:49 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,909,642 times
It might be tough because of this time of year, hardly anybody is working. Most offices you go into will be empty right about now. Give it some time, keep chuggin' away. Hopefully things pick up after the New Year. And yes, people can be very rude/insulting on forums. Just report these posts to the mods.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,120,551 times
Hang in there it may take a few months before the resumes begin getting any action. I have been looking for office work since July 2011, currently have a part time position and consider myself lucky for that. Keep on sending out those resumes

Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM

5,298 posts, read 8,320,389 times
Many non-profits are really struggling financially these days.

I work for one and know that we receive many, many applications for the few positions we hire for.

Staff are not getting raises and benefits are being cut in order to avoid layoffs. Many staff are staying in jobs even if they dislike them because its hard to find something else, so openings are few and far between. This is not to deter you from non-profits, but try to keep these things in mind.

A key issue to face head-on while being out of work is your own mental state.

Do whatever you can to keep it as strong as possible.

Remind yourself that it is not personal when you don't get a call for an interview. Its very hard to do this, I realize, but you need to do so in order to protect yourself from sliding into despair and depression.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,048,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybear14 View Post
I've used craigslist, nwjobs, jobing.com, and I've gone to many, many individual company websites and applied (University of Washington, Boys and Girls Club, etc.)
Good on the latter, but I would definitely advise against using craigslist. Have you tried indeed.com? I really like that site and it takes you directly to the company's website. Does your undergrad offer any alumni networking services/contacts in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment