Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 AM

548 posts, read 1,222,633 times

Advertisements

My husband and I spend about 20% of our NET income on our mortgage. We don't have car payments (we save and buy them with cash). We are fortunate to both have good jobs in an area with decent cost of living, so we try to live well within our means so that we can meet our other financial goals (paying down student debt, put a good chuck away for retirement, rainy day fund, etc.) Each person's situation is different though, and you have to consider your salary, cost of living in your area, your other financial obligations, etc. You are smart to be planning your budget and should probably talk to others in Northern Virginia about utilities and other costs that vary from place to place so you can get a realistic estimate of other monthy expenses. Housing is a significant part of your monthy expenses, so keeping the cost of that down as much as you can helps a lot. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,865,179 times
About 25% on rent
About 8% on car payment
About 27% on student loans (minimum payments!!!!! )

Most of the rest on bills and living expenses. I'm single and live comfortably in a below average apartment. I don't live extravagantly. I was unfortunate enough to not have a car bought for me in high school and the crappo one I bought myself in college died after I graduated so I had no choice but to take on a car payment (I was broke at the time). I'm able to save a couple hundred every month when I have moderate one time expenses (plane ticket home for xmas or other things along those lines). I make good money for my age group but bad money for my position/experience/credentials. When I think about all that money going toward my student loans instead of a 401k it makes my cry and throw up a little . . .

Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,986,932 times
Single (not married) here.

20% - rent/utilities
6% - car payment to be paid off in 6 months or less
10% - student loans to be paid off in 15 years or less

Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,986,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We get penalized by the IRS in ways that singles do not.
Perhaps, but I think that's just a drop in the bucket. Married couples (lower income in particular) with kids also get a lot of goodies that singles do not. My cousin has three kids. Probably makes $20,000 a year max. She got back $8k last year on her tax returns, mostly due to child tax credits. My parents received them, too.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM

191 posts, read 486,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Perhaps, but I think that's just a drop in the bucket. Married couples (lower income in particular) with kids also get a lot of goodies that singles do not. My cousin has three kids. Probably makes $20,000 a year max. She got back $8k last year on her tax returns, mostly due to child tax credits. My parents received them, too.

Seriously, you are complaining about that? That has nothing to do with being married(that has to do with having children just so you know), if a couple were married and had NO children, they would be taxed more heavily than a single person.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,224,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
We have no kids, and make considerably more than that. We are taxed considerably higher than two non-married individuals with the same incomes. Considerably.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,245,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We have no kids, and make considerably more than that. We are taxed considerably higher than two non-married individuals with the same incomes. Considerably.
Even if you file separately?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:14 AM

191 posts, read 486,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It does not matter, you are still taxed more. And I got married a year ago, I thought the same thing. I did a test run on married filing seperately and married filing jointly, it's about the same. I was shocked, I started to think, besides love and a life long partner, why did I get married again? lol

Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,245,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsons211 View Post
It does not matter, you are still taxed more. And I got married a year ago, I thought the same thing. I did a test run on married filing seperately and married filing jointly, it's about the same. I was shocked, I started to think, besides love and a life long partner, why did I get married again? lol
Interesting. I am not married, so I have no idea. I always assumed that filing separately was the same as filing as two single people.

Who ever says that CD can't teach you something?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,224,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Yes, if anything married filing sperately can be taxed even higher if there is a large disparity between the incomes. The difference we pay as a result of the "marriage tax" would pay for a nice Caribbean cruise every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment