Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 AM

305 posts, read 553,913 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has moved (or considered) out of state to get work? Where did you leave? Where did you go? How did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 AM

3,823 posts, read 9,488,422 times
It's something that you seriously need to consider in today's job market. I had a pretty decent network of people that I tapped out by the third month of job seeking. Decided to move back to Arizona and had 3 job interviews lined up before I even moved. Got a few more the next couple of days and had 3 job offers within 18 days of moving to Phoenix. Two of the offers were for places I did not want to work and the third was for a national company expanding into the southwest. So am getting a decent salary and benefits.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,607,292 times
My husband did - twice - but both times he had the job before he moved - neither of us have considered moving without a job. When we were in different time zones it wasn't so great but now we're a 4-5 hour drive away and get lots of time together either here or there or during work travel.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthevergeofanervous View Post
I was wondering if anyone has moved (or considered) out of state to get work? Where did you leave? Where did you go? How did it go?
I moved from Kentucky back to Virginia in June for a job with a past employer. I had graduated college in May and even before then knew I did not have a chance of finding a decent job in Louisville. The job I have now, pays the bills until I can get more in a position to score a better job here in the DC area.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,623,933 times
I moved from Tennessee to South Korea for a 1 year overseas stint. Then moved from South Korea to New Jersey to work at my current job. Overall have worked in 4 different states. Well worth the move.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,755 times
We've moved several times then gotten jobs.

These days we have less money to do that and with the Recession I am very nervous to do it again. But this is a waste land for us so we may have to.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
I have always moved either with a job, or for a job. Hubby and I years ago decided to move out east. I put applications out and received several job offers out of state. I had to pay for relocation, but very happy we did it.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM

200 posts, read 505,321 times
I moved for my current job. It was in the same industry and a step up the ladder. I've now moved twice with my current job and about ready to move for the third time it looks like in a year.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:09 PM

29,850 posts, read 24,953,870 times
Lived in Michigan all my life. Worked in the auto industry since 16. Ended up getting laid off. Found some other work pretty quick, as well as some part time work, but the pay and the job security just wasn't what it was. After I got laid off at a fabrication shop, I took a train to Chicago a couple times and interviewed with a couple places. Had a job lined up in a week, put in my two week notice at my part time jobs, and was on my way. Worked out quite well. Ended up finding an even better job after a year of being here. Jobs in my line of work are plentiful here, while qualified labor is very hard to come by. I would highly recommend taking a chance if you've got nothing to lose. Of course, it's wise to secure work before making the move. Contrary to popular belief, I have found employers around the country in my line of work who are very willing to speak with out of towners.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,216,823 times
I moved from pennsylvania to wyoming for a job, worked there for a year and then came back east. I would rather be working in a state where I didn't know anyone than sit around collecting unemployment. Back then I didn't have a lot saved up for an emergency fund, so I sold everything that wouldn't fit in my car and moved west with just what I could bring with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment