Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,748,987 times

Advertisements

And where would I find one? It was easy in school... but I went to those counselors all the time and they actually weren't very helpful.

My situation is that I'm very unhappy with not just my job, but my whole life style in general. I really want to do something to change it, but I don't know where to start. It always seems like if I have a job I love, every thing else would be gravy.

I've always wanted to be an actor and writer, but as you know, it's very competitive and even if I'm a great actor and writer, it doesn't always mean I'll make money. I struggled with this throughout college, which is why I did things I completely didn't like for the sake of a peace of mind for job security and wasted my time. I've decided to go for it, and I'm taking great acting classes that help, but I feel like I want more. I'm probably going in the right direction, but I also want a paying job that will make me happy. Is that asking for too much?

I think I'd also like to do copywriting and translating. But I'm having some trouble bringing my dreams into reality. I'd like to talk to someone who can help me do this. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,570,411 times
You haven't said what your major was or what your job status is right now, so it's hard to offer concrete advice.

As for copywriting or translating, neither one of those is a realistic paying job. Think of something else. Translating is mostly freelance and almost never full-time, or even more than just extra cash. I'm not sure copywriting is much of a job at all anymore.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,748,987 times
I'm working at my public library right now but it's not what I want to be doing. I majored in Creative Writing and Philosophy.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,477,632 times
Why write write a book?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM

30,190 posts, read 23,594,192 times
OP, I sent you a nice long direct message.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM

126 posts, read 427,842 times
Just to add my two cents about translation work, I know two people who make a decent living doing it and both are creative writers. One splits her time between London and New York doing translation work for the Russian embassy. She also translates Russian novels into English. Another is an accomplished author who teaches part-time at a prominent university and does Spanish to English translation work for fiction and non-fiction authors.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,406,132 times
I can relate,I'm the artistic type too but getting something in that industry is a longshot so I'm pretty much fumbling my way through the 'normal' workworld...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment