Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,280 times

Advertisements

I have an account at Monster which nets nothing...Careerbuilder has resume search results but no views...Indeed has netted no results...state's department of workforce services job site netted no results.

A lot of the jobs I apply for are directly from the company's website. Today being what it is and all, when I look on the site for status of resume they quickly turn to "Reviewed--not selected". Gee, thanks. There are 2 out there in never land that never get updated.

Like so many people out there I really need to find a job. I finish my MBA program in about 2 weeks and student loan payments will be kicking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM

115 posts, read 326,984 times
I have had the best luck finding leads from a local job hunting website. I live in Monterey and have foun jobs on montereybayjobs.com

I wonder if your local city/town has a similar job posting website?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
Do not discount LinkedIn. You can sign up for a free account and search jobs there.

I too am on all sties you mentioned OP, including my state's site. I got 2 hits and 1 interview from careerbuilder after I updated my resume last week. Maybe you should try a small revision and see if you get better results.

Call the loan companies for your student loans after you start receiving the bills and tell them you are actively looking for work and have not found a job. No money = no payments! Most will put you on a deferred status.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Indeed and SimplyHired.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:39 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Do not discount LinkedIn. You can sign up for a free account and search jobs there.
I have a LinkedIn account. Posted my resume, had a complete profile and got nothing but negative comments about it. I think some of the people on there just like to make non-traditional students and career changers feel inferior. I applied for a few jobs on there and didn't get as much as an email (typical these days).

Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,135,335 times
Career-builder and Monster are total rubbish

Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I totally agree with that, especially in Monster's case. Careerbuilder does occasionally have some legitimate postings on it. Never discount any site, not even Craigslist. Depending on your area, you never know where you might find something.

It takes a lot of time these days to find a job. Most that are looking today will still be looking 3-6 months from now and some a year later. It takes you to find opportunity!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,197 times
Here are some you may want to try...

www.idealist.org - (Business, Marketing, Education Communications, Non-Profit and Administrative job opportunities)

www.nyfa.org - (New York based opportunities in Communications, Management, Development, Graphic Design, Marketing – all related to the Arts)

http://jobs.prnewsonline.com - (Public Relations & Marketing Jobs)

www.hillzoo.com (Job opportunities working for on Capital Hill – as well as “off the hill” job opportunities for nearby Washington D. C. based professional business organizations.

www.rcjobs.com (Professional jobs in Communications, Marketing, Corporate Development, etc., for Washington DC based organizations)

www.opportunityknocks.org – (Communications, Marketing, Director, Business Development and Administrative job opportunities in the non-profit sector

www.stylecareers.com - (Retail Management, Business Development, Marketing, Communications, Social Media jobs in the high end retail & fashion industry)

...sending up a prayer that these sites will bless you with a new job

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 PM

194 posts, read 505,705 times
My last two jobs were Craigslist finds.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Careerbuilder is a lot better than Monster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment