Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 12,601 times

Advertisements

Before I delve into what's bothering me, let me start off by saying that I like my job, I feel that I perform well, and I get along with the vast majority of my co-workers.

The big thing bothering me is that I feel disrespected by the people above me in the chain of command. No one has said anything overtly mean or abusive, but there's a general vibe I detect that doesn't make me feel good. I would like to be considered more of a colleague than a peon.

Overall, my evaluations are good. When my workplace started using 360-degree feedback, it wasn't implemented well. First off, nobody bothered to say that it was going to be the practice going forward. So, I saw comments in the evaluation, not knowing whom they were from, and no context was given as to the comments being from secondary sources as opposed to the sentiments of the main reviewer.

Also, like in many other instances of 360-degree feedback, the comments tended to focus more on perceived weaknesses. Other than the fact that I am a team player and hit all my performance goals, and was deemed ready to take on more responsibilities, I have no idea of what I'm doing well.

As I said, when 360-degree feedback was implemented, nothing was said or explained about how it would work and the rationale of it. I read some articles online about this and after seeing some of the "cons" of 360-degree feedback, it was a lightbulb moment of sorts as I finally understood why I had such a bad taste in my mouth after receiving what my supervisor called "a good evaluation".

I don't consider myself to be an overly sensitive person in the workplace. I can handle feedback and constructive criticism pretty well. But, I feel really weighed down and it's becoming harder to be positive.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice or suggestions on how to adjust my perspective so I can feel more positive and at peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 PM

281 posts, read 712,652 times
Maybe this isn't what you're looking for. Or then again, maybe it is: Still Complaining? (The Rich and Poor) - YouTube

Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM

115 posts, read 327,002 times
I had a similar felling of disrespect in my workplace. I felt that after 4 years I was deserving of a promotion. So, I wrote down all the additional skills and qualifications I bring to the table that are above and beyond my job description. I provided this list to justify my asking to be promoted. Upper management took that list, and simply added ALL those extra skills to my current job description . No promotion for me, jerks.

So, I started interviewing and found a new job! Better pay & more room for growth so it was a win win.
Maybe you should start looking for a different job?

Sizzle-Chest: That video is heartbreaking, and a good point that we need to be reminded how very lucky and blessed we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment