Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,047,415 times

Advertisements

Most people are in one of two camps (a) Happy to have a job they enjoy, or (b) Forever, constantly complaining from job to job. Employers are wise to ignore those in camp b, and that is different btw, that complaining at one job, about conditions meriting some comments.

But the one off complainers are rare, and the camp b employees are cancers to any organization. The good news is, their employer , whomever it is right now, will usually deep six them in a short span of time. The employer is better off w/o them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,757,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzed View Post
This is a common complaint but you're misguided.

People not only have a right, they have a duty to complain about injustices at work. We shouldn't put up with exploitation just because there are people who can't find a job. It's a race to the bottom.

It shouldn't be a competition about how much abuse you can take. "Your boss yelled at you and you didn't get a raise? So what? I'd let him punch me in the face for $3/hour. At least I'd have a job then". Before long, we'd all working in deplorable conditions for slave wages.

The solution is to work together to improve the working conditions of everybody. Complaining about one's work goes a small way towards this. It raises awareness. That's something. You should thank these people for raising abuse issues at their job and perhaps offer solutions to the quagmire. Obviously, being unemployed is difficult and I sympathize. But you should understand the end result of what you're suggesting.
Not too smart to be doing it online.

There was a poster on here awhile back who was fired for talking badly about her boss on Facebook and another coworker alerted the boss.

She sounded young and somewhat on the thick side. She thought it was the same as telling someone in person or on the phone, no it isn't.

The trend these days is post everything online.

It has been in the news that several people have gotten fired from waitresses complaining about tips to school teachers bad mouthing their school board.

It's OK to complain, just don't do it online.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,734,082 times
I'm very fortunate that I have a job I love for the most part....but yes, sometimes things about my job **** me off and I'm going to vent about it. I would NEVER do it on Facebook or any other social media site, but I do complain about things that are bothering me on CD sometimes.

It doesn't mean I don't like my job...sometimes I just find it frustrating.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,601,815 times
OP: You are complaining online about people that complain online. And you don't want to hear what anyone says unless they agree with you.

You want to whine about the whiners and you want others to adjust the way they think and talk and type so that they focus on being sensitive to your situation, over their own personal situation

Have at it. Complain away. It's human nature. But someone else is gonna complain about what is bothering them. Their complains can't be tailored to your life. Unless you unfriend everyone and stay off the boards.

Bottom line - you can control what you do, but not what others do. You CAN control how you react to what others do.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,316,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'm more qualified than most people who are working and I would be BEYOND blessed right now to have just about anything. I've been bust my hump for quite some time now trying to do everything right and I still haven't "made it."

I have plenty of people I know on facebook(especially) and people in my daily life who do nothing BUT complain about their jobs. It's becoming a pet peeve of mine. I'm unemployed, struggling and there's always somebody WITH a job constantly complaining about it. I understand that most jobs, most people do not want, but it's better than being unemployed and not getting any income at all.

I can't log onto my facebook or talk to somebody in my daily life giving me this "woe is me" story about how they hate their jobs. Sometimes I just want to strangle them and say, "How about we trade places...let's see what you like better!"

I always tell them, "Well if it's so bad then quit or shut up."
I understand your frustration. But the ones who are fortunate enough to have remained employed, are being given the work of 2 and 3 people, and not being compensated for the extra work. In some cases, being demoted. Just a different perspective.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,212,356 times
Well, personally, I *am* currently unemployed and I am hardly happy about it. But if I go around all day long saying "I hate ___ and I hate ____" – *I'm* the one that's getting eaten up by it, and yes, that "attitude" will show to others.

I have (a cheap) lunch every other week or so with a former coworker who got laid off at the same time I did and we complain to each other about the rotten state of being unemployed after years of service and the apparent lousy attitude towards the unemployed among other things. I get a lot of it out of my system by talking to someone who "gets it." Then I don't stew about it as much and bite the head off of someone who can't read my mind, may not know my situation or "forgets" about it – and says something "insensitive."

Look, I feel for you. I get what you're saying, really, I do. I don't see bashing or blaming of the unemployed on THIS thread. Frankly, I see do some decent advice. Step back and ask yourself why you can't see it.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM

832 posts, read 1,744,606 times
I understand what you're saying, OP. You ARE right. Makes me realize I should be glad I have a job, even when it's frustrating.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,284,905 times
OP, you need to defriend folks on facebook if you hate them.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,316,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
OP, you need to defriend folks on facebook if you hate them.
or just hide them or choose "only important" updates.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,284,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
or just hide them or choose "only important" updates.
Why even bother being friends with people you hate though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment