Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 PM

831 posts, read 2,829,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I'm not only emotional because I'm suffering, I'm just saying that things could be A LOT worse right now for folks who have jobs that are paying their bills, putting food on the talbe, and being able to take care of the basic necessities in life.
Yes, but it's unrealistic to expect people to walk around grateful for a bad job. Until they are in your shoes they don't care. Before I got this temp. job I was on UI for years, and I tried to tell people how bad it was, but they simply had no idea how I felt because it wasn't them.
People like me understand that you would take anything at this point, but the people who haven't dealt with this economy just don't get it.
Sorry.

I wish you luck soon with an offer, stress like this could kill a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:29 PM

378 posts, read 705,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Yes, but it's unrealistic to expect people to walk around grateful for a bad job. Until they are in your shoes they don't care. Before I got this temp. job I was on UI for years, and I tried to tell people how bad it was, but they simply had no idea how I felt because it wasn't them.
People like me understand that you would take anything at this point, but the people who haven't dealt with this economy just don't get it.
Sorry.

I wish you luck soon with an offer, stress like this could kill a person.
There are people that have been in the OP's shoes and understand he/she being upset, but he/she needs to realize that having a job doesn't make everything 100% better and that complaints will happen. Like I said earlier, I'm underemployed a long-term temp job after being on and off UI for a year and while I'm happy to have a somewhat steady paycheck (since I have no idea when this gig will end) the fundamentals of the job, politics, pay rate and other things that come into play (as mentioned above) don't have me jumping for joy. Mentally and physically I'm worse off than I was without a job.

And even though the OP is not the most congenial person (as I can tell from their response to my previous post, which makes me have no empathy for them either in their situation) I must stick up for many unemployed when it comes to fast food/retail jobs. Many of these jobs won't just hire anyone, especially with experience above and beyond what these jobs require. They know that once the economy gets better these people will leave, so many of these employers will still hire those with only fast food or retail skills, or high school/college kids.

And anyway OP, you may have it bad but remember there is ALWAYS someone who has it worse than you. You're typing on a computer with internet access so you've got enough to afford that right there. There are people that are in shelters, after losing everything with no internet access. If I had to pick empathy for someone, I'll go with them.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 PM

220 posts, read 476,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzed View Post
People not only have a right, they have a duty to complain about injustices at work. .

Where in the OP's post did he say there were "injustices"?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,691,277 times
In this country, complaining about your job is almost a national past time. I know it can be hard to listen to when you don't have a job, are working hard to find one, and no one will give you a break. Being unemployed is really tough, but you have to ignore the complaints of others and go on. Sorry.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM

78 posts, read 164,705 times
B.B.C.420,

First off, sending you a cyber hug. I totally get what you're saying. I pray an amazing job opens up for you very soon.

I'm an admin asst. and I get tired of hearing people in my office who make 3 or 4 times more than me complain about their job. Oh, I'm sorry, how do you think your Lexus is being paid for? Really, you're going to complain about having to take a 15 minute conference call after 5:00 p.m. when you're salaried and came in late because you had to work out with your trainer? Hmmm

Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 PM

644 posts, read 1,146,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
There are people that have been in the OP's shoes and understand he/she being upset, but he/she needs to realize that having a job doesn't make everything 100% better and that complaints will happen. Like I said earlier, I'm underemployed a long-term temp job after being on and off UI for a year and while I'm happy to have a somewhat steady paycheck (since I have no idea when this gig will end) the fundamentals of the job, politics, pay rate and other things that come into play (as mentioned above) don't have me jumping for joy. Mentally and physically I'm worse off than I was without a job.

And even though the OP is not the most congenial person (as I can tell from their response to my previous post, which makes me have no empathy for them either in their situation) I must stick up for many unemployed when it comes to fast food/retail jobs. Many of these jobs won't just hire anyone, especially with experience above and beyond what these jobs require. They know that once the economy gets better these people will leave, so many of these employers will still hire those with only fast food or retail skills, or high school/college kids.

And anyway OP, you may have it bad but remember there is ALWAYS someone who has it worse than you. You're typing on a computer with internet access so you've got enough to afford that right there. There are people that are in shelters, after losing everything with no internet access. If I had to pick empathy for someone, I'll go with them.
Where are ya'll getting any of these assumptions about me? lol Like seriously this whole post just stinks of "I know you" when you clearly do not.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
Where in the OP's post did he say there were "injustices"?
The whole time majority of these posters do nothing except read what they want to comprehend and make assumptions.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,534,619 times
It's not their fault that their comments bother you. It's one thing if they were complaining directly to you when they know you don't have a job, but on FB. Come on.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,578,302 times
i understand where you're coming from, but you can be grateful to have the money FROM a job and HATE your job at the same time.

i KNOw that my job i have now is NOT where i want to be for LONG. i've been there for THREE years and HATE it with a passion,

BUT i am still GRATEFUL to have a job, or the money FROM a job. It would be dishonest to pretend to like something that you severely hate and unhealthy to NOT vent this.

I am sure if i had no job i would be so utterly glad to have this job i wouldn't be complaining for the first few months or year or so... but since i hate the type of job i have CALL CENTER with a passion, i couldn't NOT complain FOREVER.

you know what i mean?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's not their fault that their comments bother you. It's one thing if they were complaining directly to you when they know you don't have a job, but on FB. Come on.
I've had close friends and family who pour their heart out to me about how much they hate their job and how much they hate waking up to it.

You guys are just making assumptions. lol Keep making stuff up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment