Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,207,979 times

Advertisements

There are some reading comprehension problems here and it's not just the responders. The OP has bitten back at people who have told him/her that they are also without work and those who have offered some legitimate suggestions. You want people to agree with you but pick out some part of their post and manage to alienate even those who have attempted to express empathy to you.

You're having a tough time. Hating people and lashing out at them - is that getting you what you need?

A chip the size of Grand Canyon on one's shoulder is hard to miss. An employer will see it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:56 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,122,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

Bottom line - you can control what you do, but not what others do. You CAN control how you react to what others do.
Truer words haven't been spoken.
If only I took this to heart before my November crash/burn from which I still haven't fully recovered from mentally.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:25 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,407,278 times
I can completely understand the moral of the OP. So many people are struggling to find work, it seems quite greedy to complain about your job not being all you want it to be.

But then, that's called being an American, if I may be so bold. Who among us hasn't complained about something someone in another country would give everything they own to have? It is rather silly when you step back and look at it. Still, it's "normal" here. Complaining about your job while so many others are unemployed is no worse than complaining about a headache or slight cold while someone overseas is dying of starvation. Just being real. I take part in a little complaining about my job, because like 99% of you (gotta leave room for someone here to claim they never do this), I take so much for granted every day. I could promise to stop, but I can't believe it possible.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,151,891 times
I think it's ok for a employed person to complain about their job but they just have to have enough sense to complain to another employed person. I definitely would not want to hear a employed person complaining about their day to me.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 PM

10,448 posts, read 12,490,102 times
BBC, I listen to people complain about how they "can't see" without their glasses on/contacts in/in the dark and I'm totally blind. You have to just get used to it. People complain about whatever situation is worse from their frame of reference. To someone who's employed, in their frame of reference, the drama that goes on at work is worth complaining about. I've been unemployed and am currently not employed, so I understand your perspective. Just put yourself in their shoes for a bit. For example, just because there are people out there who don't have jobs doesn't make their boss any less of an a$$hole.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I can completely understand the moral of the OP. So many people are struggling to find work, it seems quite greedy to complain about your job not being all you want it to be.

But then, that's called being an American, if I may be so bold. Who among us hasn't complained about something someone in another country would give everything they own to have? It is rather silly when you step back and look at it. Still, it's "normal" here. Complaining about your job while so many others are unemployed is no worse than complaining about a headache or slight cold while someone overseas is dying of starvation. Just being real. I take part in a little complaining about my job, because like 99% of you (gotta leave room for someone here to claim they never do this), I take so much for granted every day. I could promise to stop, but I can't believe it possible.
Exactly. People here complain if there's no Wifi. There are parts of the world where people don't even know what the Internet is, let alone have access to it. But do you still get frustrated if the Wifi isn't working? It's only natural if you do cause that's your frame of reference.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
In a recession, any job is better than no job at all. Some of you couldn't survive in a The Great Depression with this attitude.
I was so happy to have the entry level jobs I had during the recession, after having a job where I was the only person working there who didn't have a graduate degree. But if I had a customer that completely verbally abused me, yes I would complain about it. You're linking two different things. Employment status and having a good or bad day are two different issues. Just because a bad day might have happened to be at work doesn't make it about being employed.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,151,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I was so happy to have the entry level jobs I had during the recession, after having a job where I was the only person working there who didn't have a graduate degree. But if I had a customer that completely verbally abused me, yes I would complain about it. You're linking two different things. Employment status and having a good or bad day are two different issues. Just because a bad day might have happened to be at work doesn't make it about being employed.
But do you agree that a employed person should complain to another employed person instead of someone who has been out of work since last year? I had a friend complain to me about not getting a bonus at work which was ridiculous.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,600,872 times
Quote:
Okay, I don't think you guys are getting what I'm saying. I NEVER said people don't have a right to complain about their jobs, just like I have a RIGHT to tell them to shut up about complaining about it.

This isn't a issue with freedom of speech, this is a issue of just being blessed with whatever you get because majority of people are suffering out there without a paycheck. What unemployed person wants to hear or read somebody constantly complaining about something they are trying so hard to get? If anything, those employed people are being insensitive.
Six months working for the company I'm employed by you will rethink that philosophy.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I find it hilarious that most of you are probably the same people who do nothing but crap on unemployed all day about how they need to hush about hard it is being unemployed. I've lurked on this board for quite some time now and people have assumed everything about unemployed and why they don't have a job. I've only received maybe a 2 actual intelligent or decent responses and the rest were off topic personal attacks. Truth hurts...
Not really. I've been unemployed and I am unemployed. I worked my tail off to get a job and got one. Then I moved and now I'm in school part-time and job searching. I just choose to have compassion for some people that happen to be employed as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment